ZBrushCentral

Exporting HQ seameless normal maps in Zbrush3 without Zmapper Video Tutorial

Hey everyone! a few months ago I have posted a written tutorial on how to export Normal maps from Zbrush with Xnormal, the tutorial was quite popular, but there were a few people that had problems with following it, so recently I have opened a new website and have recorded a video version of that tutorial, hopefully this time it would be much easier to follow, so enjoy!!!

http://www.russianguru.net/blog/?p=7

any comments?

Thanks Stanislav, That’s a very clear, easy to follow tutorial. I’m still at the first stages of trying to figure out zbrush. :smiley:

nice! :stuck_out_tongue:

cheers guys :), I am gurrently working on a few zbrush video tutorials, any suggestions?

well it seems like everyone already knows everything and there is nothing to teach :stuck_out_tongue:

Very nice tutorial Stanislov, this was literally exactly what I came into the tutorials section to find today (a solid guide to normal mapping without ZMapper) - thanks!

As for your next tutorial, do what you want! I’m at the stage in my development of using ZBrush that almost any instruction is useful, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

oh thanks Publius, for my next tutorial how about advanced masking tips or topology? still working on it but will publish one as soon as i have a spare 2 hours and a good mood :), also working on a few very handy post-production techniques like exporting camera from any 3d package in to after effects :slight_smile:

right on. thanks a lot! this really saved me at the moment

cheers man!

no worries mate :slight_smile:

Great tutorial. If you are taking requests, how about some hard surface techniques? I’ve seem some really clean stuff, but I can’t seem to avoid things getting all mushy.

Stanislav, you’re my hero! :smiley: Thanks! Great great tutorial!!! This will help alot! But zbery is right… How about some hard surface? :wink:

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

hehe hard surfaces? well that’s easy all you need is SMT switched off in the geometry Tab this way the model preserves all of the edges even when subdivided many times (look at the attached image), so the trick is to create the shape you need before you bring the model in to Zbrush, but I will do some research and as soon as i will find some handy tricks and techniques I will record it :slight_smile:

Attachments

hard.jpg

Will this help exporting displacement maps? I just created a thread about that.

I imported a uv mapped obj, and did the sculpting, but am stumped at exporting the displacement map.

hey skarpunin, I have a request. I am sure many artists, here would be interested in polygroups for exporting using the render to texture technique. Any interest? I have found this technique to be alot more accurate on my character than generating normals through Zbrush.

Render to texture technique? what’s that?

Also, does anyone know how to push the displacement map option’s boundries further past the uv map edges, to get rid of that edge distortion that is created?

yes, in this video tutorial I am showing how to export displacement maps

I don’t think you can push the boundaries, that is why when you export a low-rez model you need to make shure that the shape of it is identical to the high-rez model

Actually, one of the displacement options expands the displacement map edges further out. I got it down pat now… :wink:

oh cool :slight_smile: care to share?