ZBrushCentral

Spartan Hoplite

Hello all!

I am currently making a spartan hoplite for my modeling reel.
Right now I am working on the body.
Here is my progress so far.

Screenshots3.jpg

This is the second time I am sculpting a human body, so I’m learning lots on the way, and I suspect there are many anatomical errors I have overlooked. One which I have fixed is his knees which are too low.

All comments and crits are most welcome.
Thanks for looking.:slight_smile:

Attachments

Ref2.jpg

I think there is something wrong with the proportion of the body.
maybe the knee is too low an the arm looks abit too long.
but in general it’s looks good and solid . so keep updating .

Looks promising, but their are a number of issues with it atm, such as:

the knees are too low
the arms and fingers are too thin
the ass is just two bulges
head’s too small (2-2.5 heads for chest width)

That’s the main ones I see, best of luck :+1:

Thanks guys for the crits. I’ll apply them when I get round to sculpting this guy again … from scratch. I had one of those memory errors while saving this so I can now kiss this ztool goodbye.

Anyways, I think this time he should be better.

Here’s the brand new update.

[Screenshots5.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘82981’,‘Screenshots6.jpg’,1,0))

I made his head bigger than before, and thickened the fingers a bit. I kept the arms not too thick.

Attachments

Screenshots6.jpg

I love the unrealistic look of the muscles !
Great job, very stylised !

great model I look forward to see the next step:+1: :+1: :+1:

This isn’t really in regards to you, it is more of a philosophical question. I am just curious why people don’t model a *****?

The model looks good. The abdominal muscles might be a little too sharp. Especially the topmost one which should be more of the ribcage edge than just another abdominal muscle.
Also, the line on the shins seems a little too sharp. The real shin has muscles and tendons on the outside front edge that kind of fill out the lower leg. Check some reference material from a bodybuilder site.

And why the hell can’t we say the word pen1s on an art site? Are we children? People have wieners! We are artists and have to model the body. But we can’t talk about it? What’s with that?
Time to grow up, Pixologic.

With regards to the question above, I think if the final model will be unclothed, then sure, go ahead and model his “unit”. But why model something if it’s not going to be seen?

Nice modeling BTW!

Exactly what I was thinking Kraken.
Thanks for the crits kaibosh, I’ve given him more of a ribcage now, and added more meat on the front outer calves (I think that’s where you meant).

Here it is by the way.

[Screenshots7.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘83096’,‘Screenshots7.jpg’,1,0))

gpepper and Remib- Thanks guys!

Next step, retopology.

Look good
I guess he has a long arms a little bit.

Looks nice! I thought it is italic face, before saw spartans screenshot.

Hello again.

I’ve revised the torso. I wanted a more realistic look. Even with reference it was such a pain to get the abs looking right and still it’s most likely off but I’ve been working on it too long to see right from wrong now. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

[Screenshots8.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘83313’,‘Screenshots8.jpg’,1,0))

Now I can see that the arms look really thin in the middle pic but that’s an illusion from the shading. You can see in the back view how thick they really are.

Daemon3d- Thanks. The arms were actually longer before, but I like how they are now, I think it makes him look more powerful. Love your work by the way.

Geser- Heh, close enough. I’m surprised you could tell that from the head. I tried making the nose big (like mine, heh) but not too big. I guess that’s the giveaway.

Thanks for looking!

now the torso is getting really better … good work keep it coming

Hey again.

I’ve opened up his mouth and modeled some teeth, gums and a tongue. Felt like a dentist while making these. The left one is rendered in mentalray and the right is a zbrush screenshot.

[Teeth.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘83969’,‘Render1.jpg’,1,0))

Hope you like it.

Attachments

Screenshots9.jpg

Render1.jpg

Great job on anatomy buddy, I’m eager for the armour and stuff :wink:

Great job budy, anatomy in the last one looks great. Want to see it finished so keep up man

This is going to be great! looking good very good

I love this movie and the comic! good luck friend! this is looking awsome so far!