Senior Member User Gallery

Well done, nice and clean illustrations

Member User Gallery

woooooa splendid good job

Wonderful seasonal works - love the oak leaf/acorn design.

Beautifull renders, I would love to know how to make renders like that, very good jobs
    when I'll have the time, I'll try to make render with passes as you have shown before.
    Last edited by darktimax; 11-22-10 at 02:24 PM.

Default Really Nice Stuff!!

These are really beautiful, and fun to look at. Very inspiring for sure! Thank you for sharing.
    Dave

Member User Gallery

Love your work! It's so happy!!

Great zillustrations, are you using Best render or BPR and compositing all together in PS?

Hey Christopher, haven't done anything new? I love your works!

I don't do many new full fledged illustrations these days. I've been doing some character work and another personal project which hopefully will take off into something special...

But here's another hummingbird scene I did for work.

Rendered in ZB.

Default Very lovely =•)

Very lovely =•)

your work is..poetic and for this beautiful..really love it

Member User Gallery

Thank you for commenting on my thread. Allowing me to re find yours. You were an early inspiration, and you still inspire

Thank you guys! I had some time to do a quick and simple recap of how the hummingbird image was done. It's very similar to how I do most of my illustrations, except this one had to be done in half a work day. So speed was essential and duplication was used a lot.

The hummingbird sculpt was actually created as part of another product design I did awhile back. To save valuable time, I recycled the model and just added a bit more to the sculpt and changed the pose. The flowers were sculpted from scratch, but as they are all clones of the same flower, it didn't take too long to create the whole flower stalk. Just duplicated the individual flower subtools, then moved them into position.

Once the polypainting was done on the sculpts and the hummingbird placed next to the flowers, I rendered two passes using the materials shown below. I didn't have a lot of time to work on the materials, but the important part for them was to have a kind of fresnel effect where it simulated highly ambient lighting such as being outdoors. This effect was enhance later in the BRP Filters.

The first render had one light with the shadow angle set at 90 which created a very soft ambient lighting feel. The second render had the same light with the shadow angle set to 1 which created a much harder shadow like the shadow the sun would create. I used several BPR filters to enhance the rendering, settings shown below. I also used some simple environment maps to add to the ambient feel.

Once the two renders were done, I opened the first soft shadow render in Photoshop, copied the hard shadow render to another layer and set it to "Normal" with 50% opacity then merged the two layers. I could have used the BPR Shadow channel to overlay the hard shadow, but using the actual render with the hard shadow kept more of the color vibrance in the merged image. Then the BPR Mask was used to select the flower and hummingbird, then copied and pasted to a new PS document. At that point I realized I didn't like the positioning of the hummingbird and separated it from the flower layer and rotated it a bit.

The background was just some foliage I found online which I blurred quite a bit, then painted the blue sky in. I lightened up the flower and hummingbird with the curves function a bit and changed some colors on the hummingbird itself. Then the smear brush was used to soften feather edges and painted in more feather detail.

Another render of the flower at a different angle as well as the first render was duplicated, blurred and positioned to complete the background. I touched the final image up a bit more with the blur tool in spots and added a circle gradient layer set to overlay at 15% or so to create slightly darker edges. To me, doing that seems to bring the eye in a bit more to the focal point.

I hope someone gets some usefulness out of this little tute! Let me know if there's any part that someone wants a more detailed explanation on.

Member User Gallery

Awesome! Thank you.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 LastLast