ZBrushCentral

The Chef's Daughter WIP

This is my latest project called The Chef’s Daughter.

I had so much fun making Ghoulish Toilet Humour for the Scared Silly Competition, that I decided to make another fun project that was both silly and complex.

Story: The Chef’s daughter is his little angel, but she tends to wear here halo lover down, around her ankles maybe? :slight_smile:

Anyhow here is the concept pic, bear in mind my sketching skills arn’t great :o :
[attach=76377]The%20Chefs%20Daughter2.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

The%20Chefs%20Daughter2.jpg

So I thought I’d jump right on in at the deep end and start with Chef. Here is his head, using a real skin material supplied by Slosh on ZBrush Central. Thanks Man!
[attach=76378]Chef%27s%20Head%20Stage%201.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

Chef%27s%20Head%20Stage%201.jpg

As these are shrunk down jpg versions of a high res bitmap (lord I wish we could use bitmaps in web pages), you can find high res versions of these images here.

Just click the image to make it bigger. :slight_smile:

Up and running on another project already!

Good stuff mate, I am still beat after that competition and have been backed up with work so haven’t been able to do any Z-Stuff at all recently!, I think it’s time i got stuck back in though before i forget the few things i learned!

Looks like a cool scenario, you always seem to catch THE moment even in your rough sketch (don’t worry about your drawing skills either! it’s called a rough for a reason lol) like a frozen moment before the dog bites if that makes any sense!? and i love how the daughter is leaning so casually at the door like she’s seen this many times before.
Where did the idea come from? I know you said it was for a friend but be interesting to know how you came about the concept.

Keep up the good work and do you know how to keep a track of posts you are interested in as the only way i found your new thread was by clicking on your name and then looking at the most recent post or is this how you do it, would be cool if you could bookmark kind of thing within ZBrush Central (maybee you can !?) I already lost track of a thread this other guy was doing some cool kind of mechanical balls with lots of detail and asked him some technical issues and now i can’t find his thread!? I am still so thick when it comes to these computer issues and i use this thing all day every day!? lol!

Anyway

Keep on Z-ing
:slight_smile:
Fishadder

Hey Craig!

Yep keeping busy, it’s the only way I’ll learn. :wink:

The idea came about as my Brother is a Chef at The Ivy in London. He wanted a picture and we bounced themes back and forth until we both settled on this. don’t know how we landed on this specifically… I guess we both got caught out by women like this in the past and thought it a tribute to that.:wink:

To keep track of this thread you should go to the button at the top of this thread that says thread tools. If you left a comment then you should see an option that says “unsubscribe from this thread”. If it says that then you should get emails when the next new post is added from the last time you visited.

Anyhow nice to hear from you mate. Thanks for popping by. :D:+1:

After my earlier experiment with making teeth, I started again and improved the alphas. I made the gum alpha sharper on the edges and added spaces between the teeth on the second alpha.

came out alot batter! I will poly paint them once the top teeth are done:

Teeth Alpha Test 2.JPG

EDIT:

Just so you know, this is very quick! The alpha took about 15 to 20 mins to make and once done I made the teeth in about 5 to 10 mins!

Making such a shape from an alpha… why haven’t I thought of that before?? Brilliant Mark, what a good tip!! :+1: :+1:
You again got a nice facial expression going on. I think you can pay some more attention to the lips (flesh) and ears (same). The chef will have some meat on him right? :laughing:

I’ll be tagging along, maybe sometime I’m gonna say something useful. :wink:

Yes! Very Cool Technique dustbin1_uk!
I agree with Plakkie!

Now go ahead… I follow you. :wink:

Plakkie: Thanks Pal, yeah the Chef is still very much a WIP, he does indeed need fleshing out a bit. I wanted to make him muscular as well as simply big and ended up making him skinny! LOL I got kinda side tracked with the Teeth, but it was fun to experiment.

Piz: Thanks for popping round. I hope this will be entertaining and fun.

John S: Hey thanks for looking in! your work on your post-Scared Silly entry is inspiring and I hope you’ll check in here to see how I am doing. your very correct on the proportions. I’ll be working on them and some hair on the head today. I wanted to get the teeth in as I thought it would allow me to get a better idea of where I am aiming for. But I will be Google’ing some angry faces to look at this afternoon.

Thanks guys, I hope this will be entertaining for you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good alpha use:D :smiley:
I came to want to live in the toothpaste.

Thanks John, your help is very welcome! Your correct about the nose. And jaw line where it meets the ear is also a very good point, I knew something was wrong but could’nt see what. Thank you for pointing it out.

My wife also pointed out the smoothness and lack of wrinkles. I’ll set up some alphas to sort that out.

Hey! And thanks for the links! They’ll come in very handy!

Phew so much to do and this is just his head! LOL

Still it’s all good practice.

I’ll post once I have implemented some of Johns idea’s.

Thanks! Dusty. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Holy Cow John! These links are perfect! I was looking in the shop yesterday and found only 1 book on facial expressions and it only had about fourty and none resembled what I need here. These databases on the other hand seem to have that and more! THANK YOU!!!

Hi mate!

Great alpha teeth! I haven’t tried this alpha thing yet but did you manage to get that result from the flat b/white images!? Now that’s magic!!!

Also i was asking another guy before i lost the thread about detailing in HD do you have any idea why sometimes the option is there under Geometry HD and sometimes it’s simply nowhere to be found!?

Great work! loving this guy! he’s very rough and scary looking!

Keep on Z-ing!
:slight_smile:
Fishadder

Ah! HD! Now that’s a part of the ZBrush System that I am yet to try out. Sorry I know nothing about it.

My crappy Laptop grinds to a halt at the moment so I am hoping that using HD will allow me to get more done with out it flatout dying on me. Of course that’s if it actually works like that. I could be completely wrong and now sounding foolish. ;):rolleyes: :o

I’m hoping to get some more RAM for it soon anyhow. It’s 512mb at the moment and I can get up to 2gig for it. I’m having to use my PC at work for most of this.

As for the alpha teeth, they came out a bit messy to begin with, like flakey slate teeth. But then I used a low level smooth and they looked like you see in the last tooth image, top right of that image.
Then I did some more tweaking, about 5-10 mins, with the flatten brush on low level and the move tool and they looked like the ones at the front of the image.

yeah I was using a photo for most of this, maybe he does look a little square. I dunno.

I think I am trying to run before I can walk with this. Besides my computer is a 1.5 ghz with 512mb of ram And it’s struggling with this head alone. and I’d hate to undercut this image because of lack of processing power. I will hopefully get a new PC soon, I don’t know when though. I just wish I had the money.:cry:

I think I need to spend some more time sketching and learning before attempting this again. I just found out about the ZProject brush and realised there are sooooooooo many features I don’t know how to use in ZB.

Time spent sketching I think is time well spent. I think I’ll make a couple of sculpts based on pictures of friends and family. then come back to this when I have the resources to finish it.:cry:

EDIT: Ouch! Someone just gave me 1 star. I didn’t think it was that bad. :cry:

And about the Stars … is it possible to see what Stars are given? I only see the Average-Value.
I had one star when I last posted, which was given sometime this evening. I accidentally gave myself a 3 star rating, I was trying to see if it showed who gave me the rating, it didn’t :rolleyes:. So actually I got 1 star not 2. 2 is the average between the 1 star and the 3 I gave by mistake.:o

Your hippy ants was cool. it deserved at least 4 stars. DON’T GIVE UP ON MEDUSA! If the work so far is anything to go by, that is going to be an awsome image when done!

I just wish I had your skill so I could do this project right. Maybe with some practice I’ll come back to this. Then again, the way I am feeling right now… Bah! Who knows!!

Hey Dustbin1_UK, you’re doing fine - don’t get discouraged. Don’t let the stars get to you either - I have a feeling that people don’t always go by the written rating and that for many 1 star is better than none at all. Since most posts have no stars at all that makes 1 star look better :wink:

i agree with Dondemaker … you are doing good, keep the good work :+1:

There is no failure, except in no longer trying
nightwolf: Thanks! I saw this phrase throughout the Scared Silly comp and it kept me going. And yet again you remind me to keep trying.

Dondemaker: Your right, I’m getting sulky over nothing. 1 star and the person who left it is probably not someone who makes comments here in this thread, thry probably looked at that first sketch and nothing else. So I’ll ignore it.

The issue of my computer is not going to get solved anytime soon, so I guess for now I’ll stick with single sculpts that help me learn as many of the cool features of ZB as possible. My family and friends have concented to getting pictures taken so I can practice pencil skething them and then making a sculpt of them (2 birds, one stone!). And in the mean time I am going to be on the ZB wiki looking through and learning all the cool features of ZBRush 3.

Then, in a few months, when I can afford a new PC, I’ll come back and try this again. Thanks for all your support, I feel much better now. :smiley:

Oh dear; kitchen boy’s been playing Hide the Sausage! :smiley:

Mark, it sounds to me like your RAM trouble could be eased if you used edge loops a bit more, ensuring that the lowest subdivision level looked more like the highest one. I may be wrong, but it looks to me like you’re relying on heavy subdividing to get the poly density you need for local detail. Teeth, mouth cavity, ears should really be there in the base mesh.

Do you know the Slash 2 brush? I’ve just recently found its uses; and I’d say that the pleats on the hat are just begging to be slashed! Mask off the floppy top bit and then…En Guarde!

Aiming for ‘angry’? Try heavy creases sloping down from the nostrils to the corners of the mouth.

Personal choice, but I’d give the chef a much more beetling, Neanderthal brow.

Cheers,

R

Rory_L: Yeah! That’s exactly what I’ve been doing! Subdividing at least four levels on teeth and eyes, and the head and hat went at least 6 times each. Hmmmmm edge loops. I hear the name of this method so often, yet I haven’t been using them. Thanks for the tip Rory.

LOL See, this is what I am talking about. I’m blundering along with this, with no real idea what I am doing.:lol:

I think this is the problem with trying to teach myself 3D art, my workflow is plagued with bad habits and this is the result. :confused:

Does anyone have any other tips of basic things I should know?