ZBrushCentral

Wolverine-next gen game model

Hi everyone, its been some time since I posted here. I started this model to study anatomy, but am also parallely building my showreel. So decided to finish this and make it a game model. The poly count is some 5500 tris, as of now. I still have to do the belt and claws. Here are the WIP images. I’ve been using 3dmax for the modeling and zbrush for the detailing
[attach=77245]6k6jy1w.jpg[/attach]
[attach=77246]81fjejn.jpg[/attach]
[attach=77247]6o5eqgp.jpg[/attach]
[attach=77248]6pewuux.jpg[/attach]
[attach=77249]6u44umv.jpg[/attach]
[attach=77250]7xtcztw.jpg[/attach]
[attach=77251]832tdm1.jpg[/attach]

There’s still a long way to go, this is just 2 days work, I’ve posted so far.
Please type in your feedback on this.

Attachments

6k6jy1w.jpg

81fjejn.jpg

6o5eqgp.jpg

6pewuux.jpg

6u44umv.jpg

7xtcztw.jpg

832tdm1.jpg

Vikram,

You made good progress for two days, moving along quickly and its coming along nicely. Couple of things you should take note I think that one… is his head seems a bit long and narrow in the face area. The neck appears a tad long. Might want to soften some of the hard edges that define the shredded muscle sinew a lil and add a few skin folds/creases as it stretches over the muscles in a few areas. Tone down the bulk of the neck tendons bit to big and flexed for being in a semi-relaxed pose.

Take this with a grain of salt, as you have said its a work in progress and only 2 days in, will be watching as you progress this further. Keep at it, will be watching for more updates!! :+1: :+1:

Angel,
I saw your post 2 mins after you had posted. just didnt reply. Much appreciated. Thought would post as soon as I have the updates. Really helped :slight_smile:
happy to post more updates. I’ve got a coat and a shirt modeled and detailed for Logan this time, and applied normal maps to his low poly self. The jacket is still in the WIP stage, and the collar seems to have some problems. I’ll be fixing it soon. Please post in your comments.
[attach=77252]6k035w9.jpg[/attach]
[attach=77253]8a531hy.jpg[/attach]
[attach=77254]87nric0.jpg[/attach]
[attach=77255]8fy2hqc.jpg[/attach]
[attach=77256]6q1dbiu.jpg[/attach]

I’m facing a few darkening normal map issues with the coat. I’m going to correct them and post more updates. I still have a few more stuff to model. I’ll be doing that soon.Please say what you think when you this page

Attachments

6k035w9.jpg

8a531hy.jpg

87nric0.jpg

8fy2hqc.jpg

6q1dbiu.jpg

Here are some fresh updates. I’ve worked on the overall proportions. I’ve made him look shorter and bulkier. I’m not going to worry about the silhouette or the poly flow at the moment, as I would be posing him in zbrush, and then exporting a final model. I’ll be doing that towards the end.

newshorterversion.jpg](http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/vikramvr/coat_closeup.jpg)
Keep the replies coming. Thanks

Attachments

back_newproportions.jpg

coat_closeup.jpg

Better proportions!

Bit more gluteus would be good I think. Those tree trunk thighs need strong buttocks to lift them.

The top of ther thighs look surprisingly crease-free: are you planning to do these creases with layer morphs so that they’re only there when the legs bend?

Personal choice, but I’d make the hair tufts spikier.

Cheers,

R

looking good dude. anatomy on the body is nice. one thing about the face. the cheek bones seem a bit to high and narrow to me. can’t wait to see some colour on this.

And here are some colours. The face is a lot modified, and now I’m pretty much satisfied with it. I’ve taken off the exaggerated cheek and added more “skin” to his face. The eyes are just composites. Haven’t really done em. I haven’t worked on the sillouette yet. I wanted to test the textures, and the normal maps here.

[attach=77261]face_new.jpg[/attach]

P.S, Rory_L, nigel.wagner2007, thanks a lot. I never noticed myself that the top things became wrinkle free. I had given some wrinkles initially, but constant tweaking seem to have removed the wrinkles. I’ll post an update on the body soon.

Weekends are good for personal work.

Attachments

face_new.jpg

Nice anatomy update. I always thought of Logan as a brawler more than tall and thin. Keep up the good work.

Thank you very much. I’ll post some updates soon.

Exactly my thoughts… needs more booty hehehe :lol:

Thanx for the replies guys,dedfish, I’ll give him more booty, Infact, I think I’ll have to lower the crotch too

new updates. Worked on the specular for the face and also the eyes. This is a default scan line render with a 3 point lighting setup. The normal map seemingly looks good in this to me. Please comment on this guys.

[face_render.jpg]face_render2.JPG
I still haven’t worked on the sillhouette
I’ll post more sculpts and textures soon.

Attachments

face_render1.jpg

The impression you get is that this is an actor wearing a Wolverine wig. The skin/hair border is too harsh and the hair is elevated away from the skin in an unnatural way. Particularly odd are the hair strands at the point of the central peak that finish in mid air, not rooting themselves in the scalp.

Perhaps you could soften the transition.

Cheers,

R

Thanx Rory, I see where I’m going wrong. I’ll work on it and post updates soon

Hi Guys, I haven’t posted updates for this one in quite some time. I’ve worked quite a bit on the textures, and also on the sillhouette of the whole model. I think the model is coming along as I had expected. It’s still a long way from completion. Please post in you comments when you see this.

meshflow.jpg

I’ll post snapshots of the textures, and also a turnaround sometime soon. Please leave in your comments.

Attachments

sill.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Your highrez looks really awesome. Your lowrez looks reeeeeeally flat. I would work on getting better form in the sillhouette and exagerating the bulges and dips more. The skin could use more color variation and his 5 o clock shadow looks more like makeup. Overall I think its coming along well, just needs the love you gave the highrez.

The torso’s great, but the jeans are a bit last gen. I’d put a few more edge loops in at the cuffs to break up that just pressed look. I’d also add aloop into the belt and pull that out from the body to give that some volume in the silhouette.

How have you done the buckle? It looks very smoothly oval. Is that a clip map, or loads of polys?

Cheers,

R

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. gaboon saw your personal website. You have some awesome characters. I have a doubt here. How do people generally show off their low poly characters? Do they render them or just have snapshots from the drectx viewports? I know its not too advicable to use final gather or any GI. Any suggestions on this? I think it’s the light setup that I’ve got that makes the character look flat. I’ll also work on the colour variation part.

Rory, the pant has some detailed textures, but they don’t show from a distance. You are right about the sillhouette. I’ll work on it a lot more. The buckle has 12 poly’s its a cylinder with the side facing the character deleted. I think I’ll use a plane with alpha maps instead. Cheers.

If you have access to a game engine like Unreal, then you can render out hi-res prints.

R

Hi everyone, It’s been a couple of weeks, and I finally found some time to work on the model. Rory, Thanx for the reply

I’ve posed him as well this time. He’s got two textures, one for the face and the jacket, the face having higher texel density and one for the body, pants and shoes. The pants still need some colour variation. I’m still working on it.

Please post your comments on the pose as well everything else.

[wolverine_snap_all.JPG

Attachments

texture_face.jpg

textures_body.JPG

Hi vikram
Wolverine is coming out really gud… getting the feel along with volume :+1: :+1:

Just wanted to ask u one thing…how do u get the normal rendered in mental ray properly …