Moderator Follow User Gallery

Default Tutorial: Concept Sculpting

This tutorial is based on the Concept Sculpting method shown in the Next Step movie. It provides a quick and easy way to build a model based on concept drawings.

06.jpg

1. Make sure your front and side reference images are the same scale and the images are square. Load them into the Texture palette.

2. With one of the images selected in the Texture palette, pick the Plane3D ztool and the Flat Color material, and draw on the canvas. Switch to Move or Scale mode so that the gyro appears and then scale and position the plane to one side of the canvas.

3. Snapshot the plane3D to the canvas by pressing Transform:Snapshot then move the plane to the other side. Select the other image in the Texture palette. (pic 1) Switch to Draw mode.

4. Select the White MatCap material and load the PolyCube ztool. Use the gyro to scale and position the cube over the 'front' image.

5. Press Edit ('T') to enter edit mode. Switch off Tool:Geometry:Smt and then divide the cube several times - you will need several hundred thousand polygons minimum. Switch to Move mode and click on the cube to remove the action line if there is one, then switch back to Draw mode. Select the ZProject brush in the Brush palette, switch off ZAdd and switch on RGB. Draw over the cube to transfer the image.

6. Switch off Edit and then switch on Move. Use the gyro to move the cube over the side image. Switch to Rotate to rotate the cube. Switch Edit back on, and turn on X symmetry in the Transform palette. Draw over the cube using the ZProject brush to transfer the image. (pic 2) Clear the canvas (Ctrl+N) when done.

7. Load the Polysphere ztool then append the image cube as a subtool by pressing Tool:SubTool:Append and selecting the cube from the popup. Switch on subtool transparency (press Transform:Transp) and check that the sphere and cube are aligned correctly. Press Tooleformation:Unify for each subtool if necessary. (pic 3)

8. Select the Polysphere subtool and switch to a low subdivision level. Use the Move brush to shape the sphere to fit the image outlines, being careful to keep the polygons as evenly distributed as possible. (pic 4) Switch on Polyframes if desired.

9. When the general shape is good increase the subdivision to several hundred thousand. Switch to Move mode to check there is no action line (click the sphere to get rid of it) then switch back to Draw mode. With RGB on and ZAdd off, use the ZProject brush to transfer the images to the sphere model. (pic 5)

10. Switch on Color Masking in the Brush palette. Select the Standard brush, switch on ZAdd and quickly work over the model to bring up the details. Don't use to high a Z Intensity. (pic 6, at the top of the post) Switch off Tool:Texture:Colorize to see the sculpt more clearly - the masking will remain. Finish up the sculpt by switch off the masking and detailing using different brushes and alphas.

Tip: the attached ztl has separate groups for three sides so that they can be hidden for fine detailing of the model whilst viewing the reference images.

Alternative method for the 'inside cube view', pointed out by spaceboy below: first make sure UVs are disabled (or you'll lose the polypainting), switch off Tool: Display Properties: Double, then press Tool: Display Properties: Flip to flip the normals.

sculpt-final.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	3632 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	67886   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	3334 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	67887   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	2791 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	67888   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	3277 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	67889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	05.jpg 
Views:	3234 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	67890  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by marcus_civis; 09-04-07 at 11:46 PM.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Wow this is super cool feature....thank you so much for enligthening us all.

Thank you Marcus, im always here when there is something new coming out from you, many thanks for this little gem of tutorial, i was wondering what it was when i first saw the ZB3 video.

High regards.

Very nice technique, and good to see it explained in depth. It'll spare newcomers from having to slow down the ZB3 intro video and working it out themselves.

Marcus, one way i'm getting around having to hide the poly groups is that i turned off double sided on the cube and fliped its normals, seems to be working pretty good so far.

Marcus! thanks for the tutorial!

spaceboy... thank you for this supercool trick!!!

have fun,

chem!

Quote Originally Posted by spaceboy412
    Marcus, one way i'm getting around having to hide the poly groups is that i turned off double sided on the cube and fliped its normals, seems to be working pretty good so far.
    Yes, I thought that would work but I kept losing the polypaint. Sorted now though, you have to have UV disabled for the cube before flipping.

í really like your tools, but i would love if you made a videotutorial for your tools. its much easier to understand, especially for me thats not that good in english to follow a video to see how you do it then reading text.

Quote Originally Posted by joyster
    í really like your tools, but i would love if you made a videotutorial for your tools. its much easier to understand, especially for me thats not that good in english to follow a video to see how you do it then reading text.
    joyster,

I understand that a lot of people prefer video tutorials. I'll see if I can do one when I've a moment.

Awesome feature and thanks so much for laying it out so clearly for us!

-Ryan
    -Ryan Harrison-

My Website

Rhino Retiarius

Hi Marcus,

thanks a lot for this. Is it ok with you if i translate your tutorial into german pack it into a pdf and post it on a forum? Of course with all the necessary credits

Thanks again for another lifesaver.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default hello

thanks .i like this totutial of sculpt
    Last edited by leishman; 09-10-07 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks for the comments,

Quote Originally Posted by dsoellbuster
    Is it ok with you if i translate your tutorial into german pack it into a pdf and post it on a forum? Of course with all the necessary credits
    dsoellbuster,

Yes, do translate it if you wish, just include a link to this thread in the pdf.

Cheers,

Great Tutorial, thanks for sharing

Hey, Marcus, why don't you make a youtube video for this or perhaps some sort of downloadable file like a PDF? I'm sure that people would appreciate having a version they can downlod and view offline.

Revanto
    www.poserbargains.com - Bargains Poser props and OBJs
    ---------------------
    If we had X symmetry in real life then I could brush my teeth much quicker.
    If we had Y and Z symmetry in real life then sex would be WAY more interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast