ZBrushCentral

Transpose Multiple SubTools

Not sure if a better way has been found for this but here’s a little method I use to transpose multiple SubTools, without having to merge them:

trans_tut.jpg

I originally posted this over in this thread: http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?p=376315#post376315

Thought it might be of more use in this forum though. :slight_smile:

Subtools are just plain Magic… exellent work what a queen.

Fantastic, thanks for sharing that!:+1:

Cheers Roland

Thanks also ,and may I add what a great model and clear instruction to boot!

cal

what I like most about this method, as opposed to merging subtools, is that it is quicker and you don’t lose your subdivision levels on the subtools. Yes, I know there is a plugin that combines the tools for you, and kudos to the person who wrote that plugin. It is certainly quicker than cloning and combining the tools yourself, but with this method there is no need for that.

Thanks again, Marsyas!!! I just knew someone would figure out an alternative. Granted, this method requires that the strokes are recorded and nothing different is done in between, but I think for most purposes it will work out fine.

Perfect! I was looking for a better way! Thanks for sharing. How amazing is this program! It just keeps showing you new ways to use it.

Thanx, M

It works wonderful, thank you Marsyas!

Glad to be of help, everyone. :slight_smile:

Someone asked for a movie demonstrating this method so I made a simple zscript showing some transposing with the demosoldier (I’m not familiar with the movie stuff right now).

I think you have to expand the bottom tray to see the ‘play’ button after you load the script.

That works fine.Thanks a lot Marsyas:+1:.

I’m searching for a while for the answer to this but to no avail. Perhaps you know? I’ve sculpted a wing for a dragon, and I need to duplicate that wing and flip it to the otherside so it matches. but I can’t seem to get it to work.

I’m on the subtool I want duplicated, it’s on sub division 1 (out of 4) and then I hit clone, then append, then I choose the new tool, then I click on that subtool and in Deformation I hit mirror and it tells me it won’t do this with a tool with multiple subdivisions even tho it’s on subdiv 1. I just don’t understand.

Perhaps you cab show me where I might find some help?

Thanks.

Hi, dopepope. I’d recommend downloading the Subtool Master plugin–it automates such things.

The basic reason it’s not working is because you need to delete the other subdivision levels before mirroring (delete the lower levels, mirror, then reconstruct the lower subdivs–enable UVs has to be on for the tool to reconstruct subdivs). Sometimes you have to flip the normals after mirroring too.

I think these are all the commands:

Tool>Geometry>Del Lower
Tool>Deformation>Mirror
Tool>Texture>EnableUV
Tool>Geometry>Reconstruct Subdiv (as many times as necessary)

Tool>Display Properties>Flip (if needed)

Thanks! You are my new best friend! That worked. I have a thread in the main forum titled ‘zGhidorah’ which I’ve been posting my progress. I’m brand new to zBrush and this site, so I’m just getting involved. It’s great to know there’s people out there that can and will help a fellow artist in need.
Is it okay if I hit you up from time to time with questions? Thanks again so much.

This is an ingenious and elegant solution to transposing multiple subtools! Thanks a ton for posting it here!

thank you very much, it works like a charm.

Fantastic tip, thanks!!!

I found this when I desperately needed it! Thank you!!!

I did it.
Merge all subtool that you Transpose.
Later when you transporte it
Split to part.

I merge subtool,later transpose ,move all down andd split subtool

thanks man - works like a charm…:cool: