ZBrushCentral

Naruto Uzumaki - Bust (Time Lapse)

Hi All,

Here is a bust of anime character Naruto Uzumaki that I just recently finished. I wanted to try something different with ZBrush. Instead of modeling a base mesh outside of ZBrush then importing for the sculpt, I wanted to create everything inside ZBrush. This model is almost created entirely in Z, the hair is the only part that wasn't. I tried many attempts at the hair in ZBrush (brushes, pm, primitives) but no approach seemed to work the way I wanted. So the hair was imported for additional sculpting. Overall it was a fun sculpt to work on and I learned a lot in the process. For those interested in seeing the workflow I have uploaded a time lapse of the sculpt (13 minutes) and a turntable of the model. [[attach=61691]Naruto_Bust.jpg[/attach]]![Naruto_Bust.jpg|1200x496](upload://cmFlEunFy1u89U6jnHFRpydRfqF.jpeg) [Time Lapse](http://www.sharecg.com/v/7339/video-tutorial/Naruto-Bust---Time-Lapse) | [Turntable](http://www.sharecg.com/v/7336/animation/Naruto-Bust---Turntable)

[Naruto_Thumb.jpg]Naruto_Thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Cool. My only crit is that he looks a bit older here than what I think you were aiming for. Other than that, it’s great!

Great work, I really enjoyed watching your time lapse. In fact I’m quite inspired by it; I’m hoping to finish my currect project (and post it here of course, as its 95% zbrush) in a day or two, and now I also have an idea for my next one- an anime character (probably Near/Mello from Death Note or Sasuke from Naruto)

I sure do hate Naruto–but this sculpt is fun. What did you model his hair in? It’d be interesting to see you do a slightly more realistic version of him as well, just for kicks.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all of the comments! I really appreciate it. RaelNorth, I created the base mesh for the hair inside Maya. Basically a bunch of cones with some bends on them. It was much easier to juggle that many objects outside of ZBrush. Trying to keep track of all of those subtools would have been a challenge.

Thanks again! :smiley:

Jaidek- Ha, nice job. Gotta luv manga/anime though many will still appreciate your sculpt regardless. Enjoyed the time-lapse and was interesting to see your workflow for this project. Two things that stand out for me is first the nose, if you look at many images you see that Masashi Kishimoto made his Naruto manga characters have more pronounced noses compared to old school manga. Looks more like a toned down more real to life version of a nose. The one you applied here looks a lot like old school manga compared to what Naruto actually has in the manga/anime. Secondly, I understand how difficult it could be translating 2d manga into a 3d image especially in regards to the hair. Its a very nice attempt and works but again not quite like naruto’s. Basically the headband appears to push his front bangs up so they stick up with the rest of the hair and only the ones on the side come down a tad. Also maybe a few smaller ones here and there with snakehook brush might help add lil more variation and help it look more natural. Overall I really enjoyed it though, its a very good job indeed. It appears the way your workflow went it seems as if it would move pretty fast along, curious to how long it actually took. Keep up the great work and will be watching for more :+1: :+1:

Does anybody have good references for anime heads? I’m trying to make Sasuke but I could use any reference, as long as its an anime-styled head.
(My google skills seem to lack- “sasuke head” “anime head” “sasuke left” “sasuke front” and others didn’t yield any good results)

I believe this is called “Hitting the motherload” :

http://www.anime-model-sheets.com/

http://www.naruto-world.com/narutoillustration.php

Thanks mate, these indeed look like the best websites around for what I’m looking for, hehe

Is there a way to search in Anime Model Sheets though? (via a search engine etc.)

Nope, not that I’ve ever noticed. Glad you can make use of the sites though.

WOW!!! Nice find Teyon! You can never have too much reference. These sites will definately come in handy!

Thanks!