ZBrushCentral

Old Knight

Hi, this is my second thread here.

I still need to finish the first one :stuck_out_tongue: But I’m really out of time.

This one I had to make since I’m using it in one of the classes of the university where I teach.

I’m using ZBrush for detailing the face (I’ll use it later for worning the armour as well). I’m also using ZBrush for texturing it.

Base model and render in Max/Mental Ray.

Hope you like it.

[attach=61106]cavaleiro 01.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

cavaleiro 01.jpg

And here is the model in ZBrush.

I still need to add a lot of details, as well as finding a good SSS setup to show the details on the final render, most of it is getting really soft in Max.

[cavaleiro-02.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘61109’,‘cavaleiro-03.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

cavaleiro-03.jpg

this looks really good may I ask how you did the hair

Thank you :slight_smile:
But… are you sure you did the hair question on the right thread? I mean, he almost has no hair at all, anyway that hair noise on the skull was done using the a dotted alpha with random strokes.

Here is an update. Still tweaking the face, making him older… An old tough knight. I’m going to the armour soon.

Hope you like it.

[cavaleiro-04.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘61341’,‘cavaleiro-05.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

cavaleiro-05.jpg

Awesome sculpting! He just needs some soul. I can’t get a feel for what his attitude/persona might be. Is he a hard ass marine sargeant type, or a beat up worn down solder type reflecting on his past? Or maybe something else?

His face overall suggests he’s kinda rugged, but his eyes could go either way. A little picky maybe, but when the modeling is this good, crits become more precise! :+1:

I love the added detail and age. I guess your right but I really wanted to know how you got those results because the tutorials I’ve seen show styles of hair that are much different than the low cut your character has. Anyway keep up the good work.

@Kraken - Thank you very much :slight_smile: That’s a very constructive crit :+1:

I see your point.

I picture him not as a sargent nor a soldier, but as an old Knight, maybe a Lancelot from the future, seeing his opponent at the other side of the arena.

I’ll try to capture a better expression later.

@wdcstudios - Thanks! I’ll take a snapshot of the brush I used, but it’s a reagular ZBrush alpha and stroke.

It’s hard to believe that we are now able to sculpt and paint with such a nice shader and shadows!!!

What a difference it makes!

I’m really impressed with the polypaint feature.

Here is my first test with it. I know I wont be able to get photorealistic with it, but for a preview purpose, considering how fast it is and the fact that we can model and paint at the same time, wow! Thanks Pixologic!

[[attach=61396]Knt-06.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘61396’,‘Knt-06.jpg’,1,0))

[[attach=61397]Knt-07.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘61397’,‘Knt-07.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

Knt-06.jpg

Knt-07.jpg

[Knt-08.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘61387’,‘alpha.jpg’,1,0))

Attachments

alpha.jpg

Great modeling, but I’m confused by the name…

Is he an old knight from long ago in a galaxy far, far away?

The armor has a high-tech, mass-produced look, both in its style and form, and also because it uses modern fasteners (button-head hex-socket machine screws) instead of crude welding and hand-made rivets. It looks like it might be Space Marine or Storm Trooper armor. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it just makes it look like more of a sci-fi illustration than a historical one, if that is what you were shooting for. If this is supposed to be more of a sci-fi design, then it is quite good and I’d like to see more of it if you have the whole suit finished. :+1:

Hahaha, maybe it’s just my english that is not so good.

He is from the future, the “Old” means only that he is not young anymore, he is an experienced knight. That’s all.

Thanks.