ZBrushCentral

sculptimg muscles with masks in zbrush 3 video tutorial

Hey everyone, this is my first thread in Zbrush Central, I been playing with zbrush for a few month and I love it! makes life so much easier.

So I have decided to post a video tutorial on how to sculpt muscles with masks in Zbrush 3 (also works with zbrush 2)

here’s a link to my video tutorial on YouTube :slight_smile:

And your comments will be greatly appreciated

Attachments

both.jpg

I thought that I will explain the whole process in a few words:

what I have done is, I’ve taken a low-rez mesh of the humal male, drew the muscles with masks, pushed out non-masked areas and smoothed, then I have added a new layer and used an alpha 54 with a psd brush to draw a muscle fibers (just to add some details) and then I have reduced the layer visibility.

A very simple process that could save a lot of time when working with human muscles :slight_smile:

Hey, that’s pretty cool. Thanks for sharing and putting that up!

thanks, I am glad that you liked it :slight_smile:

Very neat technique! Thanks a lot for sharing.:smiley:

Thanks, for this tutorial I’ve used a free male base mesh that I’ve found on the net, just thought to give a link, so other ppl could have a play with it and maybe even show their ZB images in this thread :slight_smile:

http://www.arshlevon.com/baseman.zip

have fun

Cool technique, I have to try that out. Thanks for sharing…

no worries mate :slight_smile:

I have decided to play a bit with a technique that I’ve shown in my video and here’s what I came up with

and I have also started doing a tutorial on masking and layers that would demonstrate how I’ve done that statue

Attachments

titan.jpg

Another way of doing something like this is to draw the muscle outlines in black and white on your uv texture in photoshop or illustrator (assuming you unwrapped the UV texture in a different program) then import it as a texture in Zbrush. Convert the texture into an alpha then sculpt away. This way, you have more control of your curves/lines (then can be cleaner) and you can do the whole muscular system if you want.Skarpunin, you might like to give this method a try. I’ve had this idea in my head for a while but never had time to try it.

Cheers,
Revanto :stuck_out_tongue:

thanks I will definitely try that :slight_smile:

by the way guys, you should definitely try free “xnormal” software, works very well with zbrush displacement maps to produce normal maps, I have discovered this software last night and honestly I couldnt get results as good in zmapper. :slight_smile:

thank’s to share it…
great thecnique! :cool:

No Worries, enjoy :slight_smile:

by the way, this technique works very well with layers all you need to do is to create a

1. new layer for your character’s pose
  2. pose him
  3. then go back to the layer without a pose
  4. draw the mask
  5. go back to the layer with your character posed and the mask would still be on
  6. start drawing the muscles (switch off symmetry)

Very handy with poses, because some muscles would be more involved than others when it comes to poses and therefore they would look a bit different

a good example would be one of my WIP images that I have attached to this reply, still working on it though so it is not finished yet :slight_smile:

Hope it was helpful,
Stan

Attachments

lowrender.jpg

this method of creating muscles is very easy and i love it but it will be great if someone make more realistic type of muscles with this method like masking.
i also try one but still i don’t know about anatomy but little.

https://vimeo.com/79731023