nickz,

Wow, man. Thanks for such a detailed followup. Awesome tips and things to watch out for.

Will your alien shark be featured in any upcoming commercial games?

Right now, I feel this is one of the most informative and valuable threads in the history of the internet!

No pressure on future updates.
    Last edited by ZModerator; 12-05-07 at 02:31 PM.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Lil sister - Thanks. More to come.

brettSinclair- Thanks, I have been busy. Center of gravity is off, my bad. I fixed it when I rigged the character. Good eye, good eye.

M29MATT - No prob. Sleep is good. I can finally do that now because this work is done.

ncollings - Thanks bud. Project all is the best is it not? We were using XYshrinkwrap.mel in Maya to do this work and it would take FOREVER. Now it takes like 4 - 10 seconds. Zrocks ehh???

smeagol - Glad I could make your day! That makes mine!

Mikeporetti - Not a problem, yup I'm on an alien kick here lately, I've been on the techno kick a LONG time now. A buddy of mine is like "I like your stuff but..the music has to go." Sorry, can't do it.

Denture Cream - No game, this was just for me to prove that this pipeline could work, and it can work now. Thanks again for the props... hope I don't disappoint.

Last edited by ZModerator; 12-06-07 at 09:56 AM.

Default Using One 3D Source (Real time)

Now that I had clean Geometry and everything is rigged and weighted, it was real easy for me to just duplicate my base meshes and use those as my real-time meshes.

I then baked out normal maps for all my pieces and placed all the images on one card.

normalMaps.jpg

I then took all of my UV's and scaled them down by .5 This was real easy to do in Maya using UVmaster.mel. If you have not used it for UV's you must try it out. Using this tool it was real easy for me to move all of my UV's so the fit perfectyly into one texture page (0 to 1)

I then tool all my color, diffuse, spec and reflection limit maps and made them all into one texture page maps.

textureMaps.jpg

I then set up some real time shaders in Maya. I just used a phong shader, loaded in all my maps and assigned the shader to my objects.

I already had lights from my turntable renders, the only thing I did was take one of my spot lights and switch it to a depth map shadow instead of a ray trace shadow, turned on high quality rendering mode and truned on real time shadows.

Here is the results.

realTimeShading.jpg

Here you can see a movie that I put together to show off the model running in real time in Maya's viewport.

The next post will show how I used this work to make an illustration. Good times!
    Last edited by ZModerator; 12-06-07 at 10:02 AM.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Hi Nickz,

Im so happy you have made these vids, i have been watching them on veoh quite frequently. Just wanted to say thank you for sharing your maya resurfacing technique, its excellent and has speed up my workflow.

Once again thank you and i appreciate all the time and effort you have put into these tutorials. All the best, and can't wait to see more

Outstanding work nickz, really great series of tutorials, although sometimes my veoh player doesent work, nothing to do with your vid it happens on load of other ones not sure whats wrong

I had just watched your stuff last night. Come in this morning and now I see more! I can't keep up with you. Haha.

Yup, when I saw him moving and lean back that was much better . I'm happy i didn't offend you about his centre of gravity. Thanks for all the videos

Cheers
    Brett

Default It's been a little while.

In this post I'm going to talk a little bit about how I took my previous work and added to it to produce an illustration.

buildingAnIllustration.jpg

The first thing that I did was create some moons for my background.

makingMoonDust.jpg

Here is a video that shows this process.

Once I had my final moon built I looked around on the surface to find a good start to some valleys and hills that I could use for the main piece of my background. Once I found a section that I was happy with I exported that small section out to Maya and put it into my 3D layout that I choose. From here I had a new model that I resurfaced to get some clean geometry, I then used the project all button in the sub tool palette to project the old geometry onto the new geometry. I then sculpted out the hills and valleys to a higher level of fidelity.

Once my mid ground and background were complete I worked on creating a cliff face that my character would stand on.

makingCliffFace.jpg

Here is the video that shows how I built this piece.

I am currently working on some new background elements for this piece so I am not quite ready to show the final piece.

I will show an update soon. I promise!

Peace,

NickZ.

P.S. Thanks to all for the kind words.
    Last edited by ZModerator; 12-11-07 at 03:51 PM.

Awesome. What you're showing and demonstrating is absolutely incredible. You're a fantastic artist and teacher It's a comprehensive rundown of the disciplines necessarry to survive as a 3D Artist.

Any chance you recorded your UVunwrapping session? UVs, more than anything, seem to prevent me from ever finishing a character. Deciding on where to place seams always seems just too intimidating.

Anyway, thank you again for these videos and your indispensible knowledge.

@nickz really neat mate, indeed, you are a gurú.
    could you please explain this? " I then used the project all button in the sub tool palette to project the old geometry onto the new geometry "
    In the video looks so easy but I cannot fully understand how you do that.
    thanks in advance

Great video tutor Nickz. you are my teacher now. thank you very much for share this.
    Last edited by ZModerator; 12-12-07 at 10:12 AM.

DentureCream - Sorry I didn't record too much for UV's. UV's are pretty boring. The tools are getting a lot better for generating auto UV's. As far as seams go, put them where you will see them the least. Look at a clothing for inspiration on where you might want to run you seams.

Anibalin - look back a page in this post. I made a whole video on this subject.

Gookle - No prob! Glad to help!

Default AS craft for illustration.

Here is a craft that I made for my illustration. I still need to render all my craft in the final lay out and then comp them in the final illustration. Then I shall show the world!

AS_craft_render_01.jpg

Peace be with you,

NickZ.
    Last edited by ZModerator; 12-17-07 at 10:13 AM.

Should we prepare for the "second coming"
    Last edited by ZModerator; 12-17-07 at 10:12 AM.

nickz,

Beautiful colors and design. Brings the best of Moby Dick, and Steam Punk adventures together in one interstellar whale. Awesome work.

And thanks for the quick UV tip / philosophy. Treating chacter geometry literally as skins and fabric does take some of the intimidation factor away.

Hopefully this gets rendered at 80000 or so pixels. Maybe paste it the Pixologic building during siggraph.
    Last edited by ZModerator; 12-17-07 at 10:12 AM.

Question A request for rigging

NickZ Very cool design, sculpt.
    Thank you for sharing your work! I like seeing the entire process, it's so cool.

will you elaborate on the Maya Rigging process, specifically
    The rigging process (clusters?) before you created the bones?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast