ZBrushCentral

HAIR Zscript Tutorials

http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/uploaded_from_zbc/200405/user_image-1085714261xrj.jpg

Here are some Zscripts with various approaches to making hair in Zbrush. Be sure to select ‘Show Actions’ to see process

They were made in Zbrush 1.55b, so hopefully they work in Z2.

Note: The Strand Method is loosely based on Ron M’s method using the Z Cone Primitive. Hopefully Ron will post a more thorough Zscript exploring his technique in the near future.

Hi Cwahl,
I’ve tried them in Z2. The first one works fine but the other two come up with an error message.

Interface item could not be found:
Tool:MODIFIERS :DEFORMATION:Optimize in…
[ISet, Tool:MODIFIERS :DEFORMATION:Optimize,100]

The smilies are colon capital D’s :smiley:

I don’t have the time right now to look for the error but will do so later.

ANyways, many thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Manfred

EDIT: There is no subheading Modifiers and no Optimize under Tool in Z2.

Thanks for the Scripts, the first one works fine with Z2 but the two alpha methods halt with a script error when run in ZBrush 2, this is the error I get in both scripts …

ZScript Note: Interface item could not be found.

Tool:MODIFIERS :DEFORMATION:Optimize in…
[ISet,Tool:MODIFIERS :DEFORMATION:Optimize,100]

Hope this info helps to rectify the error, it looks like it’s a problem with the version, but I’m no expert with scripting.

First script is really helpfull, so a big thanks for that

Sorry drmapl for the repeat of your post guess I take too long to write these :slight_smile:

Thanks for testing them out, guys.

It seems like ‘optimize’ is located elsewhere in Z2. Since Optimizing is an optional step, I’ll rerecord the Zscript without that step.

Works now fine!

EDIT: I’ve deleted the offending command :wink: from the orgiginal script.

If you can’t get the above scripts to work in Z2, I’ve rerecorded them without the optimize step.

Hopefully that solves the problem.

New-

Even though I’ve left out the optmizing step, it’s good to use it if the hair model becomes too slow to edit.

Also the ‘twist’ deformation I use on each of these is not an essential step, but it’s good for curled hair- also ‘Smooth Bend’ and ‘Spherize’ are useful deformations to use with the hair.

I was wondering if this is 2D, 2.5D, or 3D hair, and if it is 3D how well can it be exported?

weirdPal,
it is 3D and you can export it using the export button in TOOL.

It can be exported, but whether it looks any good in another application is something I’ll test out.

Also for those who missed it. The thread that started it all-
http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=015570

Exported and rendered in Cinema4D.

Looked a little rough at first but placing it into a HyperNurb object seemed to smooth it out nicely.

Here is a quick and nasty Lightwave render. Nothing fancy. Just imported and rendered with low antialiasing filter.

Thank you well 4 sharing it, cwahl :smiley:

Alpha hair 1 - method (uneven length) is perfect… I see, we can use it to make old trees too :+1: :+1: G_R_E_A_T_ :+1:

drmapl- It’s good to see it can be used in other apps.

Another Zscript- This one’s for eyelashes.

It’s a pretty rough tutorial but you get the idea. This technique was used in my recent eyelash thread-
http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=015631

…and finally, here’s a Zscript for ‘Cartoon Hair’.

This thread has more samples of my cartoon hair experiments.
http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=015499

Seems very good :+1:
Pilou

Cwahl you do a very nice work.
I tried some stuffs based on your experimentations and, I’m very satisfacted.

thx for sharing. :+1:

I ran Cwhal’s script and exported the hair clump into Lightwave. I then Screwed around in there and came up with this Electric Jellyfish image…Too bad I can’t use it in the Monday night challenge…lol

Dickie

hey script meister! there’s no stopping you now!
very nice demos cwahl! its great to be able to get a close look at the final product!your hair has so much "character’. :+1:

Thanks everyone for your positive comments.
Hopefully people can find some practical use for it.

Dickie- Great Jellyfish. Proves that this technique if not only for hair.

Wires, cables, fire, water, roots, vines, grass, tentacles, spaghetti, spectral anomolies, anything really.

Ron- Thanks Ron. Looking forward to seeing some of your scripts. How goes the feather experiments?