ZBrushCentral

Re-topologize (Re-flow edges) Tutorial

My students have been asking me to write a tutorial for the re-topologize feature in zbrush 3. Most have had a hard time following the tutorial on the Pixologic site. I came up with a step-by-step that most people will easily be able to follow. I thought I would share it with all of you.

Here is the link:

http://jcappelletti.freehostia.com/z3tut01/

[[attach=59076]Z3retopoTeaser.jpg[/attach]](javascript:zb_insimg(‘59076’,‘Z3retopoTeaser.jpg’,1,0))

Here is a practical example of this workflow in action I did.
[attach=59103]Z3_SutherlandChar_Zcentral.jpg[/attach]

• JC Cappelletti

Attachments

Z3retopoTeaser.jpg

Z3_SutherlandChar_Zcentral.jpg

Thank you for dumb-ifying this down for me! I love big white cartoon arrows…it speaks my language :wink: It would be neat if Pixologic could mirror host this somehow to keep from it ever being lost.

Thanks again!

nice tutorial. I think everyone looking to retop will appreciate you doing this for them.

JC, that would really look nice on the Topology and Flow Lab thread! You’re invited to post it there, and I will make sure it can be found on the first post, which summarizes all workflows and techniques concerning the topology tool. This first post has been placed on the Zbrush Wiki as well.
Great job, long live topology!
Cheers,
Plakkie

Very nice tutorial, detailed explenation, good work!
appreciate will come in handy for sure,havent needed to retop anuything yet, but i can use this, thanks again

Hey cool tut. I wasnt using projection button, Ill try that one. :+1:

Thanks dude, this saves me using my brain which is a good thing… :smiley:

Thank you … that was excellent!

Thanks to everyone for the quick and nice replies.

Just to clarify… My big goofy arrows are meant to make it really obvious and easy to follow for everyone, especially for beginners. I just realized that some people may take that as talking down or making it for “dummies”. I assure you that was not my intension. I wrote it how I would like to read a step-by-step.

Also, I set it up in html so you can easily follow along with a two monitor setup.

-JC

Link Broken…

I can open only withou freehostia

http://jcappelletti.com/z3tut01/

Hey,

great stuff, thanks.
How did you know I was struggling with retop? :lol:

mick

Thanks JC, didactic, clear and easy workflow to follow.
Andreseloy

nice tutorial…
liked the format.

now i just need to find a good tute on creating good uv layouts to edit in ps.

Very useful and easy to follow. Thanks!

Cheers for that, clear and concise!

thank you, very simple and easy to follow. No more excuses for your students :wink:

Hello jcappelletti,

I have a question concerning Re-Topology feature…
Your tute is sure very easy to follow and very useful but I am confused at some point though… :confused:

Let’s say you have a completed (unwrapped) mesh done in ZB2 with displacement and texture maps etc.

You bring the model into ZB3 to re-topologize.

My question is, would you need to unwrap the new mesh/tool again so that the displacement and texture map fit in?
Because my guess is that both UV layout are different to each other… right?

Thanks for your help!

weyvin

Unless there is a Zmapper plugin for Z3, then you are stuck importing your Z2 .ztl file into Z3 to retopologize, and exporting to layout UVs in something else, and importing back to Z2 and transfering your surface detail with Zmapper.

Yikes!

Pretty sure the UVs will never match when retopologizing, and that should never matter with Zmapper.

You should only need to layout UVs on the retopologized Mesh if you need to have it nice and clean for a Game model.

-JC

Thanks for clarifying this JC!

Then, I guess I will have to wait! :cry:
I wonder why those plug-ins don’t work straight away in ZB3!

weyvin

I finally got some time and motivation to put together a series of videos based on the curriculum I’ve written. I realize there are other videos around that show similar things.

These three videos cover modeling from a PolySphere primatve all the way to retopology and how to keep SubDivision levels during this process. I even cover EdgeFlow theory in detail. I’ve tested these methods many times and worked out many common mistakes. These lessons are designed to be useful for all skill levels. If you need more step-by-step, you can look through my old posts.

Here is the linkto the new videos:
http://www.jcappelletti.com/z3tut03/index.html

Totally for free!

-JC Cappelletti

Attachments

JCzbrushClass01_preview.jpg