ZBrushCentral

SalmonGod's Zk3tch thread

Here’s my thread for dumping all my experimention and play out of Z3

To kick it off, this is my first halfway serious round playing with one of the base tools – the demo head… it’s amazing how quickly you can transform something like this in ZBrush

this is a very basic Best render out of zbrush… just played with the shadow settings a bit… this model is what came of about 2 - 3 hours of experimentation and play… and probably 30-40 minutes of actual effort… now I need to learn to sculpt decent hair :confused:

I just remembered the other day how a month or two ago I was doing alot of reminiscing about the art in the classic Doom games. I think that it’s my favorite artwork in a video game to this very day, and I decided back then that the first thing I was going to do with ZBrush 3 was classic Doom monsters. I haven’t seen anybody has done the original Doom artwork justice since those games were in their prime.

So here’s the beginning of my first attempt. Any guidance towards making this the best it can be is appreciated.

CacoWIP1.jpg

Great. I’ve been waiting for someone to model the original cacodemon. Looks good so far. He’s going to need a lot of detailing though to make him look really good.

He has horns :D… and I love subtools… otherwise, I won’t get anymore time to work on him until tommorrow… but then I will hopefully get a couple hours in at least

I don’t know what it is, but I’ve always loved the Cacodemon… there’s just something oddly endearing about the creature

CacoWIP2.jpg

anybody have any back/side reference for a Cacodemon? :confused:

I can get you reference of all the original doom characters in all angles doing all actions. hehe, gimme a bit and i will get you something.

hmm… I tried to go into Doom2 today and get some screenshots, but the colors always came out all messed up… I’m not sure what to do, so if anybody can offer side/back shots of a Cacodemon, I would really appreciate it

a little more progress… but not much…

I made a couple matcap materials for the blood red majority of his body and then his lighter colored face… more horns, teeth, and eye are next… also did a little bit of sculpting… I’m not entirely happy with the materials yet, but they’re getting pretty close… I think it’s mostly their specularity which bugs me, but I still haven’t got the hang of adjusting that in matcap yet

I’m aiming to finish this guy by tommorrow night so I can use him in a school project… may or may not actually happen… I’m really enjoying working on him though

[CacoWIP3.jpg]

Hey, I missed this thread! That´s just great, Doom monsters!! What an original idea. I loved the Caco, especially the sound it made when it died… Brblblblblblblb!

Good luck adding the other horns and teeth. As I look at it I think the eye cavity can be even smaller…

Keep going, great addition!

This is so cool to see some one doing this. I created the spider Demon for the first doom game(the original cast in on my shelf) and most of the additional monsters for doom 2. Most people dont realize they were stop motion models.

I thought of revistiting some of those designs in ZB my self at some point.

I cant wait to see this and your other Doom tributes.

Keep up the good work!

Greg

I’ve seen a couple pictures of the original spiderdemon sculptures!.. I knew that monster was stop-motion, but I wasnt aware that any of the others were

you just totally made my day by popping into my thread :)… an original doom artist is a fellow zbrusher and complemented my work!

Punchatz: thanks for creating those cool monsters for us to slaughter! That spider blew me away (literally) the first time I saw it. :+1:

so I put almost all his teeth in and did a little bit of refining the form and materials… the rest of the horns/teeth will come first thing when I wake up… it was a long day and I’m surprised I stayed up to work on this at all, but it’s so much fun with Z3… I’m also not very good at making eyes, so we’ll see how that goes… but I want all these subtools in before I start anymore sculpting on the body

[Front.jpg]Teeth.jpg

I’m really pushing to finish this guy by tommorrow night, so keep an eye out for that if you’re interested and thanks again for the kind words

Haha! Great! You just go SalmonGod! Maybe if you made all the monsters we could make a full-3D version of Doom. :smiley:

That would be a great theme for a challenge!..

Nice so far , SalmonGod!

eyes are tough… and so are those horns in the back… I tried to add them, but ended up scrapping them… if you look at my references here, it seems the perspective on that rear set of horns is kind of wacky when you compare angles

at any rate… I’m still getting closer… but I should really stop saying things like “I want to finish him tonight!” because every time I do, my kid will decide he wants to spend the entire day in my lap

[CacoWIP6.jpg]

Looking more alive from each post :slight_smile: this monster is scary :slight_smile: :+1: :+1:

Ooh, he looks mean! You’re on the right track. What do you think is happening at his ‘bottom’? It looks a bit tubelike in the reference…
Hey, what better education for a kid then a nice round of DOOM? ;):lol:

I was planning on making the tubies like a mess of intestine-like stuff hanging off of her… speaking of which, the material for the main body was captured from a picture of fish intestines with a deep red colorize added

thanks for the comments, btw… this is the most attention my work has ever recieved here and I really appreciate it

Hehe, it’s a girl cacodemon? :smiley:

Great model. Can’t wait for the intestines…