ZBrushCentral

Hidden alphas and add your own default materials & textures.

Untitled-1.jpg

Just move the hidden alphas to your alpha folder, reload ZB and voila! Click on the usual alpha pallete and pick your previewed alpha!!! This also works if you have custom textures and materials you want to add, just add them to their respective folders.

Actually, the screenshot of the alpha pallete above is a bit of an exaggeration: I added more alphas then there is hidden within zbrush, but you get the idea. . . . April fools! :stuck_out_tongue:

Attachments

Untitled-3.jpg

Untitled-4.jpg

Thanks feureau:)
Yes, these alphas are included with ZBrush courtesy of Gnomon.
One important correction to your post is that you should not modify the content of the ZData folder. If you would like these alphas to be available at start up, place these in the StartUp/Alpha folder (not the ZData folder).
Placing,removing or modifying files within the ZData folder may result in unexpected behavior and is strongly discouraged.

Note: Please re-upload the missing images for this thread.

Dont worry feaureau. Svengali firmly spanked my hand with the teachers ruler the other day for saying the same thing about mats. :smiley: The startup mats folder works just fine and I bet the startup alpha works just as well. The startup folders were a new one to me as well. Thanks for the tip on the extra alphas:+1:

What? Me, worry? LoL :smiley: Seriously, sometimes even Alfred get worried.
I thought they suppose to go to data folder since it is called the data folder, and not just show up during startup. :stuck_out_tongue:
Sorry if I misguided some of you guys (and/or gals). Anyway, I haven’t been having any problems with the alphas in the zdata folder, but listen to aurick, he is da Man. I moved my alphas to the zstartup folder. I’m editing the post to reflect this note too.

Also: If you’re like me, who like to throw in everythng in one pile, you might put too many alphas/material/texture into the folders, and when you click the pallette in zb, some might appear outside your screen. A tip is to move the offending button to a higher location. Use Ctrl Click-drag to move the alpha button etc. You might have to enable custom UI in preference > CustomUI > Enable Customize.

Untitled-5.jpg

Here’s what my leftside buttons look like with the alphas loaded:

[attach=57513]Untitled-6.jpg[/attach]

surgeon general’s warning: too much alphas can be hazardous to your zbrushing health.

Attachments

Untitled-6.jpg

Hi feureau i see you have tons of good alpha there can you share it?
Andreseloy

600 + Alphas, too many to see in ZB3 at once!
Folders and Catagorys will be nice to have.
Here is some info:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=45468

Please correct if need be.

Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I was tired of loading alphas everytime I started zbrush :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad I found out now! Thanks!

This doesn’t seem to be working for me. I’ve added a ton of alphas into the Startup/Alphas folder, but only a select few are getting loaded up when I start Zbrush. I must be missing something somewhere.

things to double check:
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=45468

:large_orange_diamond: Greyscale
:large_orange_diamond: .psd or .bmp

Nice, thanks for the info!! You got all of those from Gnomon 
 I have 10 only in three folders, am I missing something?

yeah, share! share! you have some good looking alphas!

oh
and also thanks for this tip on the “hidden” alphas
not sure if i would have stumbled upon them or not.

Sure, but many of the best ones come from other sources. I uploaded some alphas I made myself to the wiki a while ago but seems it got deleted in the Z3 update. Many comes from the Gnomon ZB alpha texturing DVD. (those maybe the good lookin’ alphas you were eyeing for :lol: ) There’s a good skin pack over at highend3D. I’ll upload some alphas I made later in this thread. Hey, if you guys like this alpha trick and you got some alphas you made yourself, please pack it and upload it to this thread. Let’s make our own “hidden alpha” collection. :wink:

No, ZB actually comes with only a few, maybe like, 10, in 3 folders, you got it right, I added alphas from other sources to mine to make it look like a lot. LOL :smiley:

Fspasm, if you load the alphas normally, will it load? If it doesn’t then you may need to make your alphas comply to what sadicus said. Otherwise, please check that you put them to the ZStartup/Alphas folder.

thanks fereau very kind!
Andreseloy

Thanks Sadicus!

That was it. Converted everything to greyscale psd’s and they loaded up from the folder, no problem.

~Mike D.

My alphas show up after changing to grayscale, but some of the Gnoman alphas, which are .psd format, had the generic “Image” name when scrolled over in the Zbrush alphas pallette until I changed them from 8-bit to 16-bit.

Also, a couple of Woody’s nuts and bolts alphas became corrupted within the Zbrush alphas pallette when changed from 8-bit to 16-bit mode. Here’s a link where I discuss this further:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=46430&page=2&pp=15

So i have put my alphas in the zstartup- alpha folder and they arent showing up still. I have subfolders in there should that be a problem? Also I have checked and made sure they are greyscale psd’s and bmps, which they are. I just cant figure out why they arent showing up. Anything i should check?

Beutiful info there lad, as it seems to be a commen question, do you think u might be able to point some of us novises to some tasty web pages full of alphas all ready made and for some of us looking to do it are selves, like me :), would love a link to a thread or a new thread of how to make yoru own alphas, format to save them in, size, and bits. TY so much for the info Ill be doing this when I get home asap :slight_smile:

Try Moochie’s thread:

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=46885

Aeneas thank you so much that was exsactly what I was looking for :smiley: