ZBrushCentral

Low-Poly Chocolate Bar (ZBrush 3.0)

Step 1: Creating a low-resolution cube with 6 polygons.

I tried to make a ZScript for this, but I couldn’t get the retopologizing part of my ZScript to record correctly :cry: . So, I am posting a text version of this tutorial.

To start with I needed to make a Low-Poly cube. An alternative method would be to just load the PolyCube which came with ZBrush 3.0 from the ZBrush Tool folder.

I started by selecting the cube3D tool and maxing out it’s resolution in the initialize settings.

Then under the Unified Skin sub-menu I dropped the resolution down to 8 and set the smooth to 0 and then pressed the Make Unified Skin button.

[attach=56691]ChocolateTutor1.JPG[/attach]

Step 2:

I went into the Transform menu and pressed the frame button, so I could see the polygon framework of my mesh.

[attach=56693]ChocolateTutor2.JPG[/attach]

Step 3:

I drew my mesh on the canvas so I could see what was happening with my mesh on-screen.

[attach=56695]ChocolateTutor3.JPG[/attach]

Step 4:

I went into the Texture sub-menu of my tool pallette and pressed the EnableUV button, so that I could Reconstruct sub-divide my cube.

[attach=56696]ChocolateTutor4.JPG[/attach]

Step 5:

Then I went into the Geometry sub-pallette of my tool menu and pressed Reconstruct Subdiv and then went down to the lower subdivision and pressed the Del Higher button.

[attach=56697]ChocolateTutor5.JPG[/attach]

Step 6:

I did this each time until I had a low-res 6-sided cube.

[attach=56698]ChocolateTutor6.JPG[/attach]

Continues in next post…

Attachments

ChocolateTutor1.JPG

ChocolateTutor2.JPG

ChocolateTutor3.JPG

ChocolateTutor4.JPG

ChocolateTutor5.JPG

ChocolateTutor6.JPG

Step 7: Retopologizing the cube

Next, I selected the ZSphere tool.

[attach=56699]ChocolateTutor7.JPG[/attach]

Step 8:

I then opened up the Rigging sub-pallette of the current tool menu and pressed the Select button.

[attach=56700]ChocolateTutor8.JPG[/attach]

Step 9:

I selected the low-resolution cube that I created.

[attach=56701]ChocolateTutor9.JPG[/attach]

Step 10:

I then opened up the Topology sub-pallete and pressed the Select button and selected the low-resolution cube again.

[attach=56703]ChocolateTutor10.JPG[/attach]

Step 11:

Next step was to press the Edit Topology button.

[attach=56705]ChocolateTutor11.JPG[/attach]

Step 12:

I re-edited the topology of my low-resolution cube, so that it looked like this:

[attach=56706]ChocolateTutor12.JPG[/attach]

Step 13:

Check out the Adaptive Skin preview by pressing the “A” key on your keyboard. Notice it looks smooth right now, which isn’t what I want for this project.

[attach=56712]ChocolateTutor13.JPG[/attach]

Step 14:

Here I changed the settings, so I’d have a nice angular-solid cube to work from. First, I went back to the Topology sub-menu and changed Subdiv to 1 and RigSmooth to its lowest value.

[attach=56707]ChocolateTutor14.JPG[/attach]

Step 15:

I also lowered the Density slider to 1 in the Adaptive-Skin sub-menu of the tool pallette.

[attach=56708]ChocolateTutor15.JPG[/attach]

Step 16:

I pressed “A” again to see how my adaptive skin looked. Here I have a nice solid angular shape to start out with.

[attach=56709]ChocolateTutor16.JPG[/attach]

Step 17:

For the final retopologizing step, I went into the Adaptive Skin sub-pallette of the tool menu and pressed the “Make Adaptive Skin” button. Now, I have an adaptive skin ready to be modelled.

[attach=56710]ChocolateTutor17.JPG[/attach]

Continues in next post…

Attachments

ChocolateTutor7.JPG

ChocolateTutor8.JPG

ChocolateTutor9.JPG

ChocolateTutor10.JPG

ChocolateTutor11.JPG

ChocolateTutor12.JPG

ChocolateTutor14.JPG

ChocolateTutor15.JPG

ChocolateTutor16.JPG

ChocolateTutor17.JPG

ChocolateTutor13.JPG

I like it. It’s nice and simple. Right at my level. :smiley:

Step 18: Modelling the Chocolate Bar

My next step was to use the size slider in the Deformation sub-menu of the tool pallette to get the proportions of the cube to something right for a chocolate bar.  What axis you use might differ depending on what direction the cube was facing when it was being retopologized.

[attach=56723]ChocolateTutor18.JPG[/attach]

[attach=56725]ChocolateTutor19.JPG[/attach]

Step 19:

I pressed the Unify button in the Deformation sub-menu so the tool was a more manageable size on-screen.

[attach=56726]ChocolateTutor20.JPG[/attach]

Step 20:

Next, I used the taper slider in the Deformation sub-menu to flare out the bottom of the chocolate bar a little bit.

[attach=56727]ChocolateTutor21.JPG[/attach]

[attach=56728]ChocolateTutor22.JPG[/attach]

Step 21:

I used CTR+Shift+Left Mouse click and dragged a box around the top surface of the chocolate bar to hide the rest of the chocolate bar.

[attach=56730]ChocolateTutor23.JPG[/attach]

Step 22:

I opened up the Polygroups sub-pallette of the tool menu and pressed the Group Visible button.  The makes the visible selection of the mesh a separate group from the rest of the mesh that's currently hidden.  This makes selecting the top part of the chocolate par easier for the next step.

[attach=56731]ChocolateTutor23a.JPG[/attach]

Step 23:

I used CTR+Shift+Left Mouse Click to drag a box around one of the top-surface polygons to make that the only visible polygon.

[attach=56732]ChocolateTutor24.JPG[/attach]

Step 24:

I went into the Geometry sub-menu of the current tool pallette and pressed the Edge Loop button, which creates another smaller polygon inside the current visible one.

[attach=56733]ChocolateTutor25.JPG[/attach]

[attach=56735]ChocolateTutor26.JPG[/attach]

Step 25:

I then CTRL+Shift+Left Mouse clicked in an empty area of the canvas to reveal the rest of the model.

Then I CTRL+Shift+Left Mouse clicked on one of the top surface vertexes to hide the rest of the chocolate bar except for the top surface.

Then I repeated steps 23 through 25 for each polygon on the top surface, resulting in this:

[attach=56738]ChocolateTutor27.JPG[/attach]

Continues in next post...

Attachments

ChocolateTutor18.JPG

ChocolateTutor19.JPG

ChocolateTutor20.JPG

ChocolateTutor21.JPG

ChocolateTutor22.JPG

ChocolateTutor23.JPG

ChocolateTutor23a.JPG

ChocolateTutor24.JPG

ChocolateTutor25.JPG

ChocolateTutor26.JPG

ChocolateTutor27.JPG

Step 26: Resizing the Newly Created Polygons

The polygons that I created with the Edge Loop button aren’t as wide as I’d like them to be. I want to make them a bit wider so the border around them is even.

My next step was to select the top row of polygons in this group and hide the rest by using CTR+SHIFT+Left Mouse Click and drag.

[attach=56757]ChocolateTutor28.JPG[/attach]

Step 27:

Right now the selected polygons are off-center, but I want the resizing to be in the center of the row of polygons.

What I did next was to go to the Transform Menu and press the S. Pivot (Set Pivot) button which will temporarily center the geometry around an origin point.

[attach=56760]ChocolateTutor29.JPG[/attach]

Step 28:

I went into the deformation sub-menu and resized the width of the polygons by about 10 percent along the Z axis (your axis may differ).

[attach=56761]ChocolateTutor30.JPG[/attach]

Step 29:

I went back into the transformation menu and hit the C. Pivot button which sets the center of rotation back to its original point.

[attach=56762]ChocolateTutor31.JPG[/attach]

Step 30:

I repeated the same steps for the bottom row of the new polygon group, which resulted in this:

[attach=56763]ChocolateTutor32.JPG[/attach]

Step 31:

I used CTR+Shft+Left Mouse Clock and clicked on one of the vertexes of the pink group (your color might be different) so only the blue polygons were visible.

[attach=56764]ChocolateTutor33.JPG[/attach]

Step 32:

I went back into the Geometry sub-pallette of the tool menu and pressed the edge loop button again.

[attach=56765]ChocolateTutor25.JPG[/attach]

Which resulted in this:

[attach=56766]ChocolateTutor34.JPG[/attach]

Step 33:

I used CTRL+SHIFT+Left Mouse Click again to make only the newest set of polygons visible. I used the steps posted above to make this new set of polygons wider as well.

[attach=56767]ChocolateTutor35.JPG[/attach]

Step 34:

I selected the new set of polygons so only they were visible and used the Offset slider in the deformation sub-pallette to raise them a little bit higher.

[attach=56770]ChocolateTutor36.JPG[/attach]

Step 35:

Next, I selected the last set of polygons that I created and pressed the Edge Loop button again in the Geometry sub-pallette of the tool menu. Again, resizing the width of them as I saw fit.

[attach=56771]ChocolateTutor37.JPG[/attach]

Step 36:

I then hid the rest of the chocolate bar except the last set of polygons

[attach=56773]ChocolateTutor38.JPG[/attach]

Step 37:

I went back into the Deformation sub-menu of the tool pallette and used the offset slider to lower this set of polygons just a tiny little bit. I just used a value of 2.

[attach=56775]ChocolateTutor39.JPG[/attach]

Step 38:

I pressed the Edge Loop button again in the Geometry sub-menu of the tool pallette.

[attach=56776]ChocolateTutor40.JPG[/attach]

This results in the polygons being extruded into the surface as shown here:

[attach=56777]ChocolateTutor41.JPG[/attach]

Continues in next post…

Attachments

ChocolateTutor28.JPG

ChocolateTutor29.JPG

ChocolateTutor30.JPG

ChocolateTutor31.JPG

ChocolateTutor32.JPG

ChocolateTutor33.JPG

ChocolateTutor25.JPG

ChocolateTutor34.JPG

ChocolateTutor35.JPG

ChocolateTutor36.JPG

ChocolateTutor37.JPG

ChocolateTutor38.JPG

ChocolateTutor39.JPG

ChocolateTutor40.JPG

ChocolateTutor41.JPG

Seems very difficult :slight_smile:
A simple cylinder can make the trick :slight_smile:
Free to you to convert it in poly mesh3D
And use some Stroke “Grid” function :wink:
You will have all chocolates you want :cool:

PS of course it’s not exactly a low poly (just a lowpoly* 4)

Attachments

chocolate.jpg

Step 39:

I wanted this new extrusion to be beveled slightly so I went into the Deformation sub-pallette of the tool menu and used the smooth slider.

[attach=56779]ChocolateTutor42.JPG[/attach]

Which resulted in this:

[attach=56780]ChocolateTutor43.JPG[/attach]

Step 40:

I used CTRL+SHFT+Left Mouse Click on an empty part of the canvas to unhide everything.

This is what I had so far:

[attach=56781]ChocolateTutor44.JPG[/attach]

Step 41:

Now, I wanted to create a groove in between all of the segments of chocolate. I used CTR+SHIFT+Left Mouse Click to hide everything except the polygons bordering the segments.

[attach=56782]ChocolateTutor45.JPG[/attach]

Step 42:

I used Edge Loop in the Geometry sub-pallette of the tool menu to create a new set of polygons within these polygons.

[attach=56783]ChocolateTutor46.JPG[/attach]

Step 43:

As you can see, right now, this border is too wide for the type of grooves I want to make, so I used the same re-sizing techniques posted above to make them narrow. I resized using a value of -50. I didn’t need to resize the grooves around the outside edges of the whole mesh since I felt they were narrow enough.

[attach=56784]ChocolateTutor47.JPG[/attach]

The polygons that I used to extrude the grooves looked like this when I was done re-sizing them.

[attach=56785]ChocolateTutor48.JPG[/attach]

Step 44:

I then selected this set of polygons that I used to make the grooves using CTRL+SHIFT+Left Mouse Click until this was the only polygroup visible.

[attach=56789]ChocolateTutor49.JPG[/attach]

Step 45:

I used offset in the Deformation sub-pallette and then used the Edge Loop button in the Geometry sub-pallette to extrude the grooves inward into the chocolate bar a little bit:

[attach=56790]ChocolateTutor50.JPG[/attach]

The modelling phase is done! This is what it looks like:

[attach=56788]ChocolateTutor51.JPG[/attach]

Next step is working on the displacement map.

Continues in next post…

Attachments

ChocolateTutor42.JPG

ChocolateTutor43.JPG

ChocolateTutor44.JPG

ChocolateTutor45.JPG

ChocolateTutor46.JPG

ChocolateTutor47.JPG

ChocolateTutor48.JPG

ChocolateTutor51.JPG

ChocolateTutor49.JPG

ChocolateTutor50.JPG

Thanks friend very kind from you!
Looking your next release!:+1:
Andreseloy

Very nice and simple. This is the sort of tut’s needed in the Wiki. I read it is now open for editing. You might put this in?