ZBrushCentral

News sculpt added - Page 4:formerly "First Z3 sculpt doodle"

Well, i took the advice Pixologic gave in the Rapid Start docs and just sculpted for about 40mins. WOW! It felt great. I used the defualt poly sphere at the default resolution and only used the standard brush.
Can’t wait to see what it’s like actually going past those parameters - not to mention using all the new tools.

It's just a doodle but C&C are welcome. [![1stZ3Sculpt_360.jpg|1200x420](upload://yKqk69UEKf5DeQsNffA5Y3Rnila.jpeg)]

Hmm. I can’t seem to get the attachment to show up in the body of the message.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Very cool looking! I love the new sculpting tool(or at least I love the new look) and the red clay material. Can’t wait to get me hot lil hands on Z3!

Nice doodle mate!

Tore’alos,
Wyrm

Hey Wyrm,

Thanks. Glad you like the doodle.

I’m diggin’ the sculpting tool too. I was never too pleased with my ZB2 output.

I definitely had an easier, more rewarding sculpting experience in ZB3.

I don’t know whether it’s something different in the tool, something different in me, the fact that the default sphere is denser than the old one or what . I’m sure the red wax shader and the realtime shadows helped. They definitely amp up the sex appeal of the screen grabs.

I’m eager to try the other great new features. I’ll be adding doodles and experiments to this thread whenever I can find the time.

Van Damme! I wanted to do a progression of my first mesh using all the new tools. I thought I saved it but unfortunately I can’t find it on my HD.

Instead I loaded up a model I built in modo, sculpted up in Mudbox and finally brought it into ZB3 and did a couple of mesh extrations to create her cat suiit and headband. C&C welcome.

Thanks

[1stZB3MeshExtract_Domina.jpg]

Poda: I see you are getting into the tools quite nicely…:smiley:

The Head ball is quite nice for a doodle. Are they rendered using perspective camera?

The girl in the catsuit is cool as well. Good use of mesh extr5action on her suit. I played with this today for a half hour or so. Really nice for quick armor and helmets and such.

Keep up those mad experiments…:smiley:

Dickie

I hate you! Temporarily. At least until I get to download my ZB3 and play with it. I want to try that mesh extraction soo bad!

Looks very clean. Nice job.

Dickie - Thanks! The Head Ball (perfect name btw) was rendered ortho. The spherical nature and exaggerated features definitely make it feel like it’s got perspective don’t they? I went looking for the Perspective option after I read you post. So far I’ve only found it in Rapid Start mode. Check out the difference.

In case you’re wonder - I did save my Head Ball after all. I found it nestled among the defualt .ztl files in the ZB3 folder. Normally I don’t save there.

[orthoPersp.jpg]

Blinxpro - LOL What are you waiting for? I’ve been having trouble getting time in myself. I usually go into work early so I can get a head start on my day. The last two days I didicated an hour of that time to ZB3. Lunch today will probably be ZB3 too. :slight_smile:

[orthoPersp_Domina.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘56263’,‘orthoPersp_Domina.jpg’,1,0))

[howDoYouTransposeSubToolANDTool.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘56267’,‘howDoYouTransposeSubToolANDTool.jpg’,1,0))

Check out the thread.

I don’t have much experience with rendering in ZBrush but this seems strange to me. I did a Best render and I don’t think it looks as good as the realtime Preview render. The shadows look weird. Is it just me?

[attach=56273]renderCompare.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

renderCompare.jpg

[quickOnePiece.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘56274’,‘quickOnePiece.jpg’,1,0))

Couldn’t resist one last extraction before work…

Madcap materials do not render well , also the weird shadows is due to shadow Rays = 1

Use a non madcap material for best render.

MatCap Materials render fine. They are just unresponsive to certain setting (like render adjustments and lights). All you have to do is set rays to 90, drop the ap. a touch (60), strength to 100 lenght up to 150 and maybe even UN to 35 and blur down to 2. That should get you in a better spot.

Good to know. I was frustrated with the render on matcap materials too.

Anyone have a solution to poda’s subtool transposing problem?

From what I’ve noticed in my trials is that the matcap materials render really nice with the lighting settings set similar to the material’s so it all matches up. But move the lights and the shadows won’t match the material’s lighting.

MapCap materials have the lighting information "baked"in , as you can see in the preview light-sphere ,there is no update - perhaps there is on the final version you are all using, i’m still working with a beta version- and that’s why they sometimes look overexposed in a best-render !

jantim

Thanks for the info guys.

I will keep that stuff in mind for future renders.

I guess it’s time for my to stop playing and start doing tutorials. The birth one covers so much ground, an entire project, start to finish. It looks awesome but a bit daunting.

Thanks again.

After a lot of trial and error and some helpful info from other forum posts I have finally completed my first retopologization. I am really excited!

The most helpful things for me were learning that:

• You can save a retopo rig WIP and come back to it. You turn of Edit Topology and save the Tool. I tested this by saving the tool, quiting and reopening ZB3 and loading the Tool. Worked like a charm. I just hit Edit Topology again and ther was my repo rig.
  • If you want to use a different rig vert than the one that's currently highlighted you use Ctrl+LMB to click on the vert you want to select. If you don't ZB3 thinks you are trying to connect the highlighted vert to the one you are clicking on. That gets ugly quickly.
  • You can move the rig verts with the Move tool. It makes perfect sense but I have to admit I didn't think it would work...
I love this feature. The only things I wish were in there (and maybe they are and I just didn't find it) are, edge turning, edge loop slicing (it shouldn't all be done by hand), edge/polygon collapsing.

[retopo_iGetItNow.jpg]

Attachments

retopo_beforeAndAfter.jpg

retopo_adaptiveSkinSettings.jpg

nice work! i think a lot of people will read this and benefit greatly.