ZBrushCentral

Tutorial.occlusion and specular maps with ZBrush?

Ok, this isnt realy a tutorial and I’m sure I’l be recieving a lot of corrections, but I wasnt sure where else to post this.
This was my attempt to use occlusion map with zbrush, I also added a specular map.

1. this image is from zbrush with whatever material and lights I thought
    looked the best. I did not edit this image/layer in Photoshop. this was
    the background.
    2.this image I changed the material to basic material, I turned ambience
    and diffuse to zero and left the lights as they were in the first image.
    all that is showing is specular i put at 100.I made background to black.

2. this image I made background white and put diffuse and specular to zero,
    but ambience is at 100.

3. all layers combined.

Ok, now what i did was put them into photoshop as each different layers.
the image numbered 2,was layer 2, for specular I adjusted the opacity to 28%. and made that layer luminosity.

image number 3, bacame layer 3. I made 67% opacity, and made layer color dodge.

This isnt fancy but I thought it made the picture more detailed, and I was trying to stick to zbrush and se what I could do, Im happy with the results… The opacity of the layers depends on your image so adjust to whatever works.

zlienMaps.jpg

The spec map I mentioned isnt a real sppecular map. I had one but I cant find it now.
I made the layer to see what it would look like with more or less specular level, so realy the third image is the one to combine with the background image.

Hey,cool mini tut.The effects are a little small for me to fully apprieciate but Im really intrested in what settings and what layers are used in ps to get final result.I will try this for starters and I hope some others leave tips here.Thanks for the thread :smiley: DivideandRender ! :+1:

Cal

Hey thx Calum5, but im sure all this I posted was wrong. but the image maps neeed to get a realistic image seem to be a tightly guarded secret in the 3d community.:lol:

Ive looked but the few times ive seen diffuse specular bump displacement /whatever maps, the information isnt very clear. so I’m hoping people will correct me and clerify on how to acomplish this…

Here’s a simple pictorial tutorial from a while back on the subject of ambient occlusion by Ralf Stumpf.

Downloadable Ambient Occlusion material from Meats Meier might also be useful…

Sven

DivideandRender it appears as though its a trail and error on the layering.Depending on lighting and materials blah blah…Oh well back to what Ive been doing for years then lol. Maybe someone might post a layer tree of how achieved an end result?That would be worshipable I guess:D

Sven ,thanks alot for your links.They do help more with the road to perfect postwork.Thanks :+1: :+1: