ZBrushCentral

long flowing hair (Nudity)

Hello all … I need a good tutorial or advise on long flowing hair…Here is what I got so far. The head isn’t properly positioned and maybe a tad too small. The texture on the lower half needs work as well. She needs long flowing hair preferably built up from the scalp but I will try anything. The fiber brush isn’t so good for this, and I’ve tried building and pulling on the scalp but that dosen’t really cut it. Any ideas?

Here’s one suggestion:

:white_small_square: Sculpt the basic volume of the hair out of a sphere or ZSpheres (or whichever tool you find most suitable)

:white_small_square: Select a 'noise' or 'dots' alpha ( #03, #07 or #08 for example), and pull the hair out of the shape with several SnakeHookBrush strokes. 

This is a (rough) example of what it will look like:

The results will vary depending on the alpha, draw size and Snake Hook Brush resolution settings. By using different strokes you can make wavy or straight hair. If the hair starts to look tangled, you can “comb” it by making further SnakeHook strokes onto existing strands.

When doing this, it’s probably the best to keep the hair in a separate layer, and only when you’re satisfied with it, then merge it to the mermaid layer and seal the joint between the scalp and the hair with Blur and Smudge tools. Practice making the hair a few times in a separate layer / document until you’re confident with the workflow.

Hope that helps. Great picture, BTW! :+1:

Hi Dgroup
You have an example of hairs here
and the explanation by the ZMaster
Hope this help !
Pilou

Dgroup,

Your model looks like one of the Vargas girls, it is trully excellent I just love the look of it. I could almost see the design on the side of an american aircraft bomber.

Thats fine work! Looking forward to the final image :+1:

Thanks all…I tried skavens idea but when I use the snake brush on some spheres, thats it. I mean I cannot rotate the new hair hat and place it on her skull flowing behind her. And I followed Frenchy’s threads and it seems Ztevie makes the hair last after everything is modeled and placed then pulls and paints the hair like on a canvas. I could probably model some hair in a differnt program and import but I was hoping to model it all in zbrush.

im glad i checked this out! i got lured in by the nudity disclamer :slight_smile: cool image
:+1:
is it poser?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Thanks all…I tried skavens idea but when I use the snake brush on some spheres, thats it. I mean I cannot rotate the new hair hat and place it on her skull flowing behind her.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alas, that’s a problem with pretty much anything you do with ZBrush. Can’t scale or rotate individual layers. 3D Skinning could be one way to do it, but unfortunately it is not accurate enough to capture a complex frilly shape like SnakeHookBrush hair (unless you use so many polygons ZBrush grinds to a halt). If you want to do it all in ZBrush, the only way (I fear) is to plan ahead and be prepared to attempt it several times until you get it right.

Judging this, and the way ZBrush re-sizes the pixols when doubling the image size, I guess there’s no real way to re-sample pixols? You can always do bilinear and cubic interpolation with pixels, but apparently not with pixols?

Hi Dgroup
You can rotate your hair with my method with the Script Inbetweener (inside Zbrush)
Take a look :slight_smile:(at the end of the post)
It’s for a brush, but you can make the same for an object with more facility
:ex: for an object3D you don’t need of a Plan 3D ! It’s the normal way of the IntBetWeener !
Have good hair making !
Pilou

Adamac…the head was indeed imported from poser but the rest is modeled in zbrush

Hi Dgroup
Just a little suggestion :slight_smile:
You can crop just the canvas, also the loading of your image will be more speed for somebody who has slowly connection and help the little monitors :slight_smile:
Pilou