ZBrushCentral

Computer question

Hello, i know this is probably a dumb question, but i don’t know very much about computers (obviously). I would like to buy a pc for around $2000 or under and i want to buy the zbrush 2.5 well, i don’t really understand what the 64 bit thing is … only that is supposed to be better. I would like to get suggestions on what would be the best computer to buy for zbrush, video animation and video editing. I know newegg.com sells barebones computers that you can put together your self, well would you recommend getting a barebones and putting it together? Or buying a pre-made one with all the junk on it that i probably won’t use. I’ve been looking at the reviews for newegg but i still can’t figure out which would be best… i’m thinking of calling Dell and asking them to build me one. I just know i want it to work awesome with zbrush. So if you could even give me a list of what computer would be best and which parts to buy i would be eternally grateful.

I also want the new windows vista… does that narrow down the search for a perfect computer?

Hi,

(sorry for my bad english language).
i suggest to buy a workstation with more than one processor: dual-core CPU is good but 2 physical CPU (dual-processor) is better and dual-CPU dual-core (quad-core) is more better. More CPUs the better, of course!
The choice is for Intel Xeon or AMD Opteron.
(i’ld permit to not consider any mono-processor or single-core assets)
Another important component is RAM memory: at least 2 gigabytes.
Also an open-GL graphic-card with 512 MB video-RAM or a double graphic-card asset (NVidia SLI or ATI Crossfire); if You can’t permit a NVidia Quadro, i’ld suggest You an ATI X19xx model.
Moreover, 2 Hard-Disk in RAID (striped) config.
Probably 2000$ are not much…
Anyway this configuration is more expensive on Dell or BOXX computers.
If You want Windows Vista, maybe You exclude Apple Mac Pro but actually Mac Pro are more cheap about costs, it offer Mac OS X that’s a solid OS and it’s can run Windows too (XP at this moment, probably Vista in future) in dual-boot via a program named Boot-Camp.
i hope it’s useful for You.

That was helpful:) I need all the help i can get when it comes to computers.:wink:

i’m pleased to be helpful for You.
Personally i got an Apple PowerMac G5 (2 GHz dual-processor) with 2 GB RAM, HD 160 GB S-ATA and ATI Radeon 9600 Pro; not like an actual extreme powerful workstation and it’s 3 years old but i didn’t have any relevant performance problems for my purposes: i use ZB2, modo 202, Photoshop CS2 and Apple Final Cut Studio suite for audio|video and my G5 works well (logically, i need to consider its limitation, i can’t pretend to render animation or video files with high resolution in not too much time…).
Anyway, if You want consider an Apple computer, Mac Pro is a very good workstation (quad-core) with a relative affordable price; the same hardware-configuration by Dell is less than 1000$ more expensive, if i’m not wrong…
Congratulation for Your future workstation and Happy Design.