ZBrushCentral

Unwrap UVs in Blender Video Tutorial

For anyone that wants UVs that support very clean mapping Blender has a very nice UV unwrap feature. This way you will not get distortion in your maps;)

This video will also show you how to switch out those Zbrush UVS with the unwrapped UVS without losing the details in your sculpt.

lesson1_blenderuvs.jpg
Video Can be Found HERE

I want to thank you for all your hard work. I have learned so much from you tutorials. I am going to school for video game art design and I think I am way ahead of the loop because of your tuts. I havent even had a 3d class yet. But I know the ins and outs of both Maya and Zbrush. If you have time check out some of my stuff and let me know what you think. Once again thanks again.

Thanks for the Tut!

I keep meaning to try out Blender more. Hopefully this’ll help. :slight_smile:

Yay! Nice tutorial.

I remember someone mentioned the use of Blender to unwrap UVs in their tutorial a while ago (to make that devil guy in Legend). I’m currently going through a whole “what the best way to do UVs?” phase so this was perfect timing. I have been experimenting and it is frustrating. But, now, I think it will be easier in Blender.

I wouldn’t mind seeing a part 2 to this video, one that covers UV symmetry, separate polygroups in the UV map and dealing with hidden polys when selecting edges in Blender. EG I have a mesh in Lightwave and the ear polygons are so warped at the lowest mesh level that it is difficult to see where to make the seams for the UV map. Also wouldn’t mind it if you could cover how to relax UVs in Blender.

Just a quick question: If I import an OBJ file with parts (IE poly groups), can I get blender to automatically split the model via poly groups and flatten it into one UV map?

Anyway, this is an awesome and simple tutorial. I look forward to future ones from you.

Oh, actually, I have a good idea for a tutorial if you are interested. It uses a common technique but in a way nobody has ever thought of. Send me a private message if you are interested and I’ll give you all the juicy details.

Cheers,
Revanto :stuck_out_tongue:

Hello mnmava vbmenu_register(“postmenu_325976”, true); your stuff is looking pretty good. One thing I should tell you as you build up your portfolio is that employers like to look at wireframes and maps of the characters. So if you can show a lower poly model with wireframe that is ran by some map, they eat that stuff up. Sounds like you’re younger, so if you really want to nail a job later, eat sleep and breath anatomy. Make heads then torsos then arms and legs until you get anatomy so down you can make a 3d character blindfolded.

Of course only your finished models go in a portfolio the others are part of your 3d sketchbook :wink:

The truth about most colleges,

Don’t ever wait for another human to teach you anything. Most colleges that are starting a “Game development” or “3D modeling and animation” course are doing so because it looks really good on their list of classes. Behind the scenes is a Adjunct instructor that likes to make sculptures out of clay :wink: lol

So make sure it’s a good school that has had the program for awhile :wink:

Looks like you have a path, set so don’t let anything stop you.

Wow I’m getting that teacher’s spiel going. Not good.
lol

Oops rev sorry I didnt see the 2nd posting of questions.
But ya I was planning on a part 2 with poly groups. Of course it will not do it automatically for you but its close. And it will show how to move all the elements in the uv window and stitch;)

Cool! I’m currently having small problems with Blender. I don’t know if it’s because I’m exporting from Lightwave or not. When I first tried to get a good UV map, 2 weird things happened. 1) the map came out at an angle when I unwrapped (I think it has something to do with the angle in the object view window somehow) 2) I got this weird groups of vertices in the UV map where the seam at the back of my head model was. I couldn’t delete these dots because they were the part of the mesh itself.

I also had problems with importing DXF and LWO models from Lightwave. With DXF when I tried to unwrap, all the polygons seem to have unwelded through the exporting process so I basically got a UV map similar to an AUV map. I then tried it with a LWO model but, since it had parts, bits of the mesh came out detached. The problem here is that I don’t know how to work with Blender’s tools very well so I didn’t know how to select the different (detached) parts of the mesh.

Anyway, I will email you my tutorial idea. Don’t worry, I have done all the work, I just don’t have a powerful enough computer to handle making a vid tutorial myself. I could make a normal web page tutorial but I think it deserves a video release. If you are are interested then let me know. If not, then that’s OK, too. I think you’ll like the idea, though.

Cheers,
Revanto

Dont know if you got my msg but sure send it I’ll take a look see.
Going to try to keep this as much Zbrush/Blender as I can though that way people can benefit from blender being free;)

Teaser shot
pharaoh roly poly

Its the fact that both parts are made with zspheres and joined in Blender with UV groups
I also found a way to color them so that you can render them in Zbrush even though they are seperate parts. :wink:

teaser.jpg
Shooting the Video tommarow

Attachments

teaser2.jpg

LOL
Ok this is way to much fun!
Better hurry with that update pixologic or I might just have to figure out ways around it;)

teaser7.jpg

Didn’t get a message reply from you. Just in case, send another one to r*e*v*a*n*t*o@yahoo.com (remove the stars for the proper address)I’ll reply as soon as I can.

Cheers,
Revanto :stuck_out_tongue:

Damn very nice tutorial!! Do you ever plan on doing one for 3d studio max’s pelt mapping? That is one thing I could not figure out! lol…

What do you think of 3d studio max’s pelt mapping UV features?

Hey Jason,
Great tutorial, and thanks for taking the time to make and share this video! I really appreciated it. I’ve been spending a lot of time with Blender recently and delving into what it can do. I wish it had better box modeling tools!

Have you seen the latest public beta of Blender v2.43?? [LINK]
It has multi-resolution mesh editing, [LINK],
Symetrical Sculpting [WIKI LINK]
[Google Video1]
[Google Video2]

Retopology [LINK] [Google Video], [Wiki]

Anyone new to Blender I can recomend these good video tutorials [LINK] by Glen Moles. They really helped me!

Again, Thanks man!
Upham :slight_smile: