ZBrushCentral

creature design - the stingerhead (Updates)

Hi all,

Feels like a while since I posted a creature in here so I decided to share this WIP. This fella is part of a project I am putting together at the moment. I have yet to add any high frequency details to the character, this is all standard sculpting. High frequency detailing and color maps will follow.

More updates to come.

Cheers,

Scott

3quarterHead.jpg

Attachments

faceBust.jpg

sideView.jpg

large3quarter.jpg

2shotDetailed.jpg

Nice work so far man, you make me jealous!

How far are you going to go with this? Texture? Full body? etc?

Lookin great! Can’t wait to see some high frequency details on it

Looking really great so far Scott, I hope you’re planning on texturing this guy. Happy new year! :smiley:

Great sculpting! :slight_smile:

Only crit would be that the middle horn-thing looks a bit heavy and droopy in the side-view. Maybe beef up the back of the neck or lighten the load? Course he does look like he’s getting old and maybe fragile. :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone. Here is an update with the high resolution details in place.

[attach=46812]3quarterWhiteCav.jpg[/attach]

[attach=46815]3quarterdetailedAAliased.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

3quarterWhiteCav.jpg

3quarterdetailedAAliased.jpg

Very nice concept and sculpting .
It has character, top row.

Hey Scott

I love your work. Do you have an “Artist in Action” video? I’m just getting to the good parts with Zbrush and could use some help making sharp eyelids. How do you do it? Mask? or flat brush?

Again, love your character designs and your work is very inspiring. Thanks.

Cool looking creature…like the detailing so far.

one thing seems kinda out of place or something…the ears…they seem too human for a creature.

fantastic work Scott! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

I agree with Aminuts, the ear is too human but you probably have got there just yet. :slight_smile:

Ryan

I like this one. I’m curious what the poly count on a bust like this has to be to get the great high freq. details that your laying on. Mine always seems pixilated, even at the 2 mil mark…?

Somthing about the ballance of volumes through the side view seams off to me, but I like the direction your going.

Love it! Bring on the color!

Thanks everyone! The color is on the way I am actually painting it tonight.

threetails: The poly count is about 4 million. I also double my doc size from the default so when I zoom in I dont get pixol conversion weirdness in projection master. That may help you.

aminuts and Ryan: Thanks! Yeah I can see what you mean about the ear. I may go back to that and play some more.

AVTPro: Thanks man. I use the pinch brush as well as masking to get a nice sharp eyelid. I was supposed to do an AIA video I just havent finished it. This head is actually part of my Gnomon Online class in ZBrush. once I wrap this I will get back to the AIA video.

Thanks again to everyone. I appreciate the comments and crits. It always helps to get fresh eyes on something. now back to painting! : )

S

Excellent sculpt, great natrall detail, and love the character of the piece.
overall very nice sculpt.

Oh great Scott

…wait a minute…that didn’t come out right! I mean, “Oh? That’s GREAT! Scott” (humor) :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tips. I wasn’t sure if Pinch was a good geometry thing. I heard it could be problem.

I support Gnomon. I bought two of the DVDs for character UVs and Modeling.

I’ll look for your work. again thanks.

Excellent concept.

Hi Scott… how are you, friend??

Great work, specially well done with the details, but i really don´t like the “horn”, it´s too large and blended. Only a personal opinion. Subscribing to this post to follow your updates. Go on mate!!

PS: Congrats for your last great cinematic :+1:

Happy new year Scott

Victor Marin

Hey Scott, this guy is cool. I don’t think the ears are too human as the lips ,neck and eyes are very human like as well. I especially like the anatomy of the neck. I’m looking forward to the updates

Awesome work as usual, Scott.
He looks like he could be a distant relation of the ‘Zbrush displacement head’ on that displacement thread (I hope you know the one I mean - did you do that as well by any chance??)

5 star work again

He is looking really wonderful Scott, keep going man!