ZBrushCentral

Zbrush - modo 202 tutorial

http://www.uberwave.co.uk/zbmodotut.htm

I went about creating this little tutorial as a few have posted asking help on this before over at the Lux boards.
As I don’t own ZB, I cant cover that side of things, but this tutorial works from the moment you open modo.

Hope it’s helpful to someone.

Cheers.

Many thanks Phil, that’ll help me. I am at the moment trying to get normal maps from ZB to Modo for a game but have only limited success. Your little tut has encouraged me to try displacements as well.

Cheers,
Manfred

Cool! Glad it might be of use to you.

Normal maps handle in the same way, but with them, you can flip the R, G or B channels if the map looks incorrect.

You also dont have to worry about displacement distance with them.

Don’t be put off by modo’s OpenGL’s display of the map, just have preview open as it will be more accurate.

I have to wait for my student loan to come in before I can get ZB to play with. hehehe.

Actually I have been put off. I tried it and inverted the Blue channel and the model looked like it had exploded. I might have to study the use of ZBs displacement plugin to get better results. I guess I am too lazy to RTFM. Also reimporting into Modo flipped the UV map.

Have a nice weekend. Cheers, Manfred

If it was a normal map and in the opengl viewport that exploded, you might need to turn off VBO in preferences under opengl.

If it was in preview and your using a displacement map, just lower the displacement distance.

Cheers.

Thanks - from another Modo user! :+1:

-R

Forgot all about VBO! Thanks for the reminder.

Hi,

Anyone know what settings should be used for the Displacement exporter and ZMapper for exporting to Modo?

Thanks,

TD

No problem Roger :wink:

:slight_smile:

Sorry, I’m not too sure on that part of things. Hopefully someone who does will pop in.
You can bake the displacement map in modo by having your high res mesh in one layer and no uv data. Then having your low res mesh in another with its uv. Add a blank image map to the low res, change its effect to displacement. Set the displacement distance on the material to 1m and then right click on the blank image in the shadertree and choose bake from object.

From the looks of things though - those free zbrush (zmapper etc) plugins make the job easier.

Tutorial will be down as I’m changing hosts and domain name actually - I will post the new links once I get setup.

Cheers.

oooooh i was wondering what happened! I needed the tutorial again and it wasn’t there =(

But glad to see all is well and you 're just changing domains. :smiley:

still can’t figure out exporting displacement maps from zbrush !!

Sorry about that - I’ve been super busy in work and havent even got around to finishing off the updated site. :slight_smile:

Here is a little video that covers all the points the tutorial made and a few more.

Video

3.35MB QT .MOV (no audio)

Please be aware that I didnt spend time on actually sculpting (didnt even have the wacom pluged in), so forgive the primitive look to the sculpt, but it does show all the options needed to control the map in modo.