ZBrushCentral

10 hours work = 3 models (my doodles)

Hi,

I’ve been very busy lately, working for the studio and also preparing a ZBrush Workshop I’ll give next weekend. Then I thought that would be a good idea to have some new models to show at the workshop. So, I took my good ol’ base mesh (basicaly, Superman’s head :slight_smile: ) and ZBrushed it for about 10 hours total, making these three head models (about 3 hours and something each, a little more for the old guy). After that, another 2 days detailing them till now and will take me some more time to finish puting all the details.

Some curious things about these models are:

• Each head has only 986.000 polys without the eyes and teeth (that’s why some areas look pixelated, but enough to show some detailing, mainly on the old dude)
  • Projection Master was not used at all. ALL the details were actually sculpted on the mesh by hand (yeah… a long time spent on that). I took this as a personal challenge to create all the details using an old approach (closer to the traditional media experience I think).

The models are still wip and I’m happy I had done them so I can have something fresh to show at the workshop, also using them as example of different techniques that can be used to create those details.

I’ll try to update it and answer to any question you might have if I have the time durng the week. If not, I’ll answer when I come back. Just wish me luck :slight_smile:

I hope you like it:

doodle01.jpg

-Kris

Attachments

doodle02.jpg

doodle03.jpg

doodle04.jpg

doodle05.jpg

doodle06.jpg

doodle07.jpg

doodle08.jpg

doodle09.jpg

unbelievable!
you realy sculpted alle those details ( like skinpores etc. ) only by use of the edit brushes from the transform pallette ?
did you use stencils ?
great what level of detail you came up with under a million of polys
that gives hope for me and my “not so fast notebook”
where can i find the base mesh?

amazing Antropus! great inspiration!
Alex Oliver

Good Job!

Great work Antropus, you really got the eye for proportions and details, superb!

killer head studies,
i always have a time with human heads and tend to ovework them,
but you always seem to be able to give’em that “human” feel and look.
:+1: :+1:

[QUOTE=Antropus]Hi,

• Each head has only 986.000 polys without the eyes and teeth (that’s why some areas look pixelated, but enough to show some detailing, mainly on the old dude)
  • Projection Master was not used at all. ALL the details were actually sculpted on the mesh by hand (yeah… a long time spent on that). I took this as a personal challenge to create all the details using an old approach (closer to the traditional media experience I think).

So you must be the only ZBrusher who is not looking forward to use ZB2.5 !
no need for 20 million poly’s in your work !:smiley:

jantim

Amazing stuff as always! And undder 1 Million poly’s, that’s impressive. I was just wondering if the 3rd head evolved from the 2nd one, they looks quite similar :slight_smile:

Hey Antropus!
you call those models Doodles?? :laughing:
Man!! they are all masterpieces to me! :slight_smile: What would u be calling them after you texture them? Doodles still! :wink: hehe…

Your works are always very inspirational to me and i believe for everyone on here. They are always neat and full of details… :+1:

Good luck on the preparation of the Zbrush workshop!

Cheers Antropus! :+1:

Kevin

Wonderful heads and designs!
You are a Master! :+1:

-R

Hi, I just woke up :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your kind words!

Firstly, I just have to add that I didn’t used any stencil or masks. All I used were Zbrush edit tools (standard , inflat and smooth). Call me crazy but I think it was fun :slight_smile:

Now the magic (ooooohhhh…): for all the wrinkles and pores I used what many call a flaw in ZBrush. You know, sometimes you can put those flaws to work for you and they do a good job.
So, you guys know that when you try to sculpt a dense mesh with a small brush the brush gets dotted right? The line you try to create is not a line anymore but a bunch of dots. Well, with this in mind, all I had to do was:

• zoom in to the model the most I could, reducing the size of my brush to something around 3
  • keep the mouse average ratio in 1 (under the stroke menu)
  • make the brush intensity higher than I usually use. Something around 40 (may vary for you guys, depending of the size of your model)
  • paint the details very fast using circular gesture.

After a while you discover you can perfectly control the technique, adding details exactly where you want. It’s very time consuming but I told you, I took it as a challenge :slight_smile:

About ZBrush 2.5, of course I want it!!! Give me now! :smiley:

-Kris

ps.: I forgot to say (shame on me!) that the third head, the fat dude, was probably based on Alex Oliver’s work (you are great Alex!). I say probably because even without to use any references for these guys (apart of wrinkle positioning, when I used some references to see their location), my unconscious probably took Alex’s work as inspiration because I remember seeing some fat character with lazy eye that he did time ago :slight_smile:

great doodles

they looks great !

i like the first one mostly , he reminds me one of alex oliver work , if you dont care .

cheers man

insanely good as usual. crisp clean lines defining the shapes and great detailing. you said you don’t use masks, but only standard, inflat and smooth. man would I love to see your technique in realtime. now for those crisp lines, I’m assuming you did use pinch? I started a new model last night which I want to use for detail practice, would it be ok for me to upload a pic here and ask you some questions about techniques in certain areas?

smeagol,
no. I said the third one “might” be inspired by Alex. The first one is just an old man. Maybe Alex and I just have similar concepts about old men.

Whistler,
yeah, no problem. You can go ahead and post it.

-Kris

thanks a bunch for letting me ‘pick your brain’ Antropus. getting ready for a bit of a ZBrush marathon so I was hoping to fuel up on your knowledge

attached what I did last night:

ok, first off, at what level of subdivision do you start adding wrinkles and stuff like that I’ve marked in red?, here I’m at the 2nd subdivision which I’ve noticed is perhaps a bit low.

also, I’ve gone for rather uniformly distributed low detail basemeshes, would you recommend using more geometry in detailed areas and perhaps more details all around?

do you ‘carve’ details into othe mesh or do you build up surrounding geometry to create wrinkles? (hope you understand what I’m asking here)

what would you say is your general z intensity and stroke average when sculpturing?

sorry for boring you with all these questions, I’m just really interested in your techniques.

[snaky.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘37745’,‘snaky.jpg’,1,0))

fantastic!

I love the last guy.

Great job. :slight_smile:

r

Hello Martin, can u tell us configuration of your PC or Mac?
When sculpting, do u moving eyeballs, or u moving other polygons to it?
hmm, how did u that hair on afro guy’s head and pores on fat one?
That’s so cool=) as always!
Keep it up, buddy.

Lovely sketches Kris (Martin?!) Amazing so much can be achieved from a well
constructed base model; but it takes a master like yourself to get those fine
details in so well, and so quickly too :+1: :slight_smile:

Chris

hey Kris, wonderful work!! :wink:

I wanted to ask you about the base mesh…

you do alot of great heads diferent one from the other from the same base mesh, did you have any rule when you model a base mesh that you know you`r goin to use to make a lot of diferent heads?..

-you`r base mesh is very well done with well define forms, when you use it as a base mesh do you sculpt the head to make a new one and then how do you esport the new head to render in maya?..i mean do you use displacement to apply the changes to the base mesh?

thanks alot for you`r time

i’ve been watching your work for a few years now and have never posted. this has to be the perfect definition of why you are truly an artist. you always push yourself further with traditional style exercises in a 3D environment. we should all take a lesson from you and get back in the old groove of drilling in the skills. tip of the hat man and keep 'em coming.:smiley: