ZBrushCentral

Silo 2 Images Wow!!!

Silo is looking sick see images in post below. Fully Sculptable Now!

link

Nothing there that couldn’t be done in Zbrush, or Hex 2.

sigh… silo is a totally different app then zbrush :slight_smile:

I realise that, but it’s the pretty pictures that johnny was excited about.

Also, those images in Hex2- easy.

they look nice, though definately nothing revolutionary (or sick?). seems silo is getting nice sculpting capacity, which makes it a very comprehensible package particularly for the price. here’s hoping it will perform well on lower spec machines the way zbrush does.

apart from playing catch up with zbrush 2.0, silo actually pushes it a bit further with the ability to add/remove base geometry and have those changes propagate throughout the subdivision levels, which can be a great thing if you realise that you need more (or less) geometry in certain parts while sculpting. atleast that’s the impression I got when viewing one of their preview videos.

all in all, nice progress.

Why does everything have to be a comparison to Zbrush.
Or a Zbrush vs Silo or Mud Box.

They are different apps each has it own unique benefit.
Just pick the one you like.

Silo has come a long way in a short amount of time. The Developers are really making strides.

The original reason I posted that you could do both in Zbrush and Hex 2 is because people have this tendency to say, “WOWZERS!! AMAZING!!!” to what they could have been creating themselves with software that’s been around for a fair while already. I didn’t mean to dampern people’s enthusiasm for something like Silo- I’m sure it’ll be a great tool.

Also something not mention is you can also use a image based brush.
Which means you can stamp on a displacement to your models
on a live 3d model in real time!

This is a killer feature that no other app has.

I hear ya. My point was that Silo is gaining speed fast. Silo 2 handles Millions of polygons now. It has a Image projection brush that does not need to drop the model to operate. It hands down has the best GUI and
workflow. They are implementing user feedback intensely to help make
it the best modeler in the market. You have to say “WOW” to them for
the strides they are making.

This is a killer feature that no other app has.

That’s incorrect. Hexagon 2 has this.

It hands down has the best GUI and workflow.

That’s arguable. I didn’t purchase Silo because I didn’t like the workflow, or the GUI. It is good though, that I won’t argue against :wink:

Not comparing, but:

what gets lost in most every discussion when somebody just shows pics around from MUDBOX or Silo >>> it is NOT about NOT getting the same amount of detail in any of the proggies mentioned!

All that counts is that both (Silo and Mudbox) are EASY TO HANDLE!!!
For Silo: you can see for yourself right now (Version 2.0 will remain that much easy), and for MUDBOX there are some testimonials that I do not believe are advertising teasers.

So again: the major difference between Z2 and Silo/MUDBOX: with the one you spend a good amount of your digital life learning, and then learning not to forget - the other two: JUST DO IT!!!

And just because Hex got mentioned here: NOPE!!!

I think you’re talking airy-fairy rubbish there. Silo takes as long to learn as Zbrush or Hex 2. But, with Zbrush you get the added advantage of being able to with in a cross 2D environment, which would explain (if it’s there at all) the little more to learn. If there’s anything to learn, it’s how to model properly. By comparison, modeling tools are easy to learn.

Well definitly Silo as of 1.4 is far easier to learn then zbrush… but that is because it only has a limited range of tools… they work great though and fast… love the shortcuts and is probably the best polygon modeller out there.

But zbrush is more sculptiing and texturing and painting…

I agree Pixel Soul.

Use Silo 2 to model and sculpt your form close to finish.
Build UV layout in Silo 2 since is now better in this area.

Now import into Zbrush and enhance scultping details and texture.

I think both apps are the way to go.

yea, its like me saying Wings3d is far more easier to leanr than zbrush… well if you mean because there are only X amount of tools whereas Zbrush has far more then yea.

Where the trade off is what the two applications offer. Zbrush offers an illustrator a complete final image solution, while still offering the user ways to get data in and out between different apps, ie diffuse, displacement and normal maps along with obj’s, UV’s etc.

Silo 2.0 looks to offer great workflow for polygon creation, great UV tools (which look far better than zbrush… sorry), then the ability for sculpt to high level. I dont know the limit but i know it works at the 2 million mark comfortably. And then add one of the greatest poly tools in the world, the topology brush, which has had some dramatic speed improvements.

Mudbox: looks awesome, and if the workflow is as good as they say it is, sounds like a great solution for the 3d artist looking just to sculpt.

Silo 2.0: sound like my new favourite modeler. Cant wait to use some of its features and play for ages, i think i wil be spending alot of time in there, and even if i want to scultp to a high level and still use zbrush i can use the displacement created in silo and apply it in zbrush and continue there and sculpt and texture there.

Zbrush 2.5: … i hear you can have alot more polys and rigs and some surface tools.

Cant keep us in the dark forever but its killing me. :slight_smile:

I do think if you push the 2d more you will have a bigger edge over the competition and UI options wouldnt hurt, but still being able to keep the old UI (as i like it :)).

y

Sorry, my fault: when I said that Silo would be easier to learn I had been wrong as I meant that you learn box modeling/edge modeling here/there.
Learning Silo itself - nothing to speak of.

Well, I only posted because of these dreaded “Z2 can that, too” statements :smiley: .

My workflow is still going to involve Silo and Zbrush. However now I won’t have to do as much program hopping. Silo 2 will be a great compliment app for anyone who uses Zbrush in my opinion. Silo 2 would even be a great compliment app to Mudbox.

I am very pleased with how Silo 2 has progressed. The beta has changed a lot since I first started using it. I think a lot of people will be surprised what this app can do.

I’m eagerly waiting for Zbrush 2.5 too. I’m actually just as excited about that as I am anything.

The bright side of all these apps coming out is now it’s easier for us to get our work done. That’s the main point to me. No program loyality, just trying to do my work. Mudbox, Silo 2 and Zbrush have all worked great for me.

Nuff said. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yep is so cool to see those apps getting sculpting options. its also cool to see sculpting combined with traditional modelling tools, UV unwrap, retopologizing, and painting, too.
This kinda workflow is the one for the future no matter what app will provide it into a smooth and powerful way.

Hexagon is not bad,(even if its not ZBrush at all) and i think Silo could also be better in sculpting than Hex. we’ll see…

Think we still missing easy rigging / skinning and rendering of million poly meshes in the workflow though :stuck_out_tongue: