ZBrushCentral

"Watching the world" | Angel sitting on the skyscraper's roof.

Well, nothing special to describe, really :slight_smile: Just wanted to draw something on the subject of Angels leaving among us, in the modern world, watching us, sometimes helping us and sometimes not. Who they are, who do the leave for - humans or gods, what are their goals, who knows. But they are definitely one of the most attractive heroes of mythology. So I thought it would be a nice idea to portray one of them :wink: I hope you’ll like him :slight_smile:

It’s a mixture of matte painting (background city), 3D (which is approx. 60% - foreground buildings and character itself) and 2D digital painting (wings and additional shading). Was rendered in XSI. Completion time: 5 or 6 days.

Soft used: Softimage|XSI, zBrush, Photoshop.

[ZBCImage1.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘31093’,‘ZBCImage1.jpg’,1,0))

And here’s wireframe:

Here’s the link to smaller resolution.

Thanks in advance!

I would be interested to hear a bit more about your technique for the city
background. Is it overpainted, photo based ? This is a very professional looking piece of art…should put a thumbnail in second row to get more exposure. Okay…where’s the rest of your art work? Bunch of thumbs up!

Technically superb and a great foreground composition.

Love it… Beutiful idea… :cool:

Out standing! :+1:

cool render & great composition. 5 stars.:+1: :+1: :+1:

incredible piece of art! perfectly attuned colors, spectacular perpective and view. What really stuns me is that amazing city background, would love to hear some more details about it :slight_smile:

congratulation!

greets
froyd

2 words, top row …

Absolut genial - ZOP ROW :+1: :+1: :smiley:

I like the lighting and the city is very well done.

It seems odd to me that the angel isn’t reflected in the building on the right though.

Maybe a vampire angel? Nice city indeed. Can you show us some wires?

I would be interested to hear a bit more about your technique for the city

Yes the city is photo based and is overpainted a bit and color\depth\perspective corrected. The main problem was that the original photo wasn’t quite in the right perspective so I had to distort some parts of it along with further overpainting. Thanks!

It seems odd to me that the angel isn’t reflected in the building on the right though.

Oh I doublechecked it, really. Within the angle I chose - there shouldn’t be reflection definitely. Thanks!

Thanks everyone! I appreciate you crits and comments!

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth! Great Job!!! I love it!

A superb piece of art.

Very inspiring.

Well done.

Paul.

Maybe a vampire angel? Nice city indeed. Can you show us some wires?

Well I’ve shown wire of the whole 3d scene already. If you mean the City itself it’s not 3D, it’s matte painting. Thanks -)

Truly Incredible!

I’m really in love with this pic… absolutly amazing.

Nice work! :+1: :+1:

Cool idea. Love the wispy wings, and the use of light. I could point out all kinds of stuff, by why bother, it’s great work. Nice time frame to do something respectable as well. :wink:

With as much work as you obviously put into it I’m sure that it’s right. Once again, very very nice piece. Thank you for taking the time to respond. :+1: :+1:

Hi, first off, I;d like to say that the whole matte/3d thing came out excellent, and it looks very PRO work indeed.

My only thing is with the wing(s??)… I think it could use a little bit more compositional work. By this I mean, it looks a bit strange the way they are overlapped, so you get the impression of it having only one wing. And also I think it would look a lot better if the wing would have a more relaxed look to id, as the the character’s pose has… the way it is now… pointing up, it looks a bit as if he was falling with high speed… also if you plan on saying it’s because of strong wind, you should add more clues … like flying feathers or smth…

Anyway, very nice work… I would love to see some shots of the character … both wireframe and shaded, and also maybe you tell us how it started? your pipline… MAYA/MAX-Zbrush and back ? or Zbrush 100 % for the character … etc

THANKS, GREAT WORK !