ZBrushCentral

Tutorial on weird looking landscapes

i wrote a tutorial today on weird looking landscapes , I put a lot of images in it and I hope newbies can understand it. For experienced users , you’ll probably skip a lot of steps.
I hope someone can use this , thx for looking :slight_smile:

Weird looking landscapes tutorial

Well these landscapes of yours look really good, I’ll read this one ASAP ;). Thanks!

oh yeah , if any images don’t work , please let me know. uploading with a 56k modem doesnt always go without problems :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks alot, this look very interesting. :slight_smile: :+1:

Thanks for your tutoria. I found some good hints!

I should add , that I forgot something because I had lunch in between writing the tutorial.
I forgot to bake the background layer , before snapshotting the objects onto the canvas , therefore there is a dropshadow on the sky which shouldnt be there in the first place , sorry about that. :slight_smile:

Oh this is very good!, I never thought about using texture make alpha to inflate rock structure. This ought to save alot of time.

Thanks!.

actually , Ken B used it to make a tree look realistic a while ago. it’s a fast way to create complex looking lanscapes ,rocks , …

I would appreciate it if anyone who read the tutorial could also tell me where I made mistakes in english .

And another tip , try to render your object with the toonshader , you can get Super Mario Bro’s Landscapes like that. :slight_smile:

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 26, 2002 Message edited by: The Namek </font>

Tried it very interesting. I will post something in the future! Thanks for sharing.

2 other abstract thingies , same technique.
1 Looks a bit like Lava and the other one has an organ-like shape in it :stuck_out_tongue:

That lava image is cool :+1: :+1:, the intestin’ish thing on the second looks very convincing too ;).

This is a variation of Namek’s image:

And this is another with the same technique:

It is a very good technique for making a rocky ground. I did play with this a while back, using a shot of clouds as the texture-turned-to-alpha inflator.
I particularly like the last image you posted Namek. Very intriguing.
In the following image the ground, and stumpy thingy was done with the same sort of approach.

Some of these are similar to those fascinating rock stratas portray in medieval paintings.Very nice and a pleasure to read about your technique. Would love to see some of these rock formations also rendered in Vue d’Esprit or even Bryce. :+1:

Boozy floozie , I never tried rendering it in bryce or vue. Maybe someone could try it , since I don’t have Vue. I do have Bryce , so I’ll try it out when I get home.

Filament9 and moonwalker , great images , thx for trying it out.

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 27, 2002 Message edited by: The Namek </font>

I finally got some time to try this out a little in a quick test.

This is great for producing natural lines which is very hard to do by hand IMO. In Photoshop I always used a picture of something natural to displace the lines I drew, this does pretty much the same thing. Its usually easy to spot the difference between a line drawn by hand and a line in nature. Hopefully I’ll have time to dive deeper into this, great stuff The Namek
:+1: :+1: :+1:.

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 27, 2002 Message edited by: Karasuando </font>

Great Tutorial Namek, I’m going to give this a try asap, looks like a interesting technique for sure!

Thanks buddy :slight_smile:

• Shaun

Interesting tutorial, Namek :+1: :+1:
The images are very nice :+1: :+1: :+1:

stargo