ZBrushCentral

IRC Monday Night Challenge - Ocean Creatures *EXTENDED* (05-17-04 to 05-31-04)

ZBrush has a new face, a new soul, and a whole new Bag O’ Tricks to discover and play with. There is so much to learn and, more over, much to learn from each other. The video’s of Martin Krol (Ambient-Whisper) and Ofer Alon (Pixolator) clearly illustrate this fact. It is also hard to not notice the membership explosion here at ZBC. So many fresh new minds willing to tackle this software and use it to its fullest whether for static pleasantries or awesome detailing for face melting games and jaw dropping movies.

Because of this, those of us in the IRC Chat have decide to reinstate the Monday Night Challenge Threads again.

It is IRC based so participation in IRC discussions is a big plus. Attendence is not requirement to enter the challenge though. The IRC channel allows for a higher level of user interactivity. The key to these challenges is not to out do anyone of even try to find a winner in it all. The key is and always shall be to learn ZBrush. Don’t get me wrong…showing off can be fun, just be prepared to share the wealth of knowledge it took to create such an uber piece of Z. See, another key element of the IRC channel is to allow users to actively discuss tool usage, tips, tricks, and even the next week’s topic. Though this too doesn’t have to be exclusive to IRC. So feel free to post in the MNC threads (especially if work and play doesn’t allow for a break to chat). We also encourage support material. From textures and references to ZBrush documents, ZSphere models, and ZScripts. Whatever you feel helps.

So, on with the show.

Here are the guidlines for this weeks MNC.

:small_orange_diamond:In light of Pixolator's [Angler Fish Post](http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=015643), we are going to do Ocean Creatures real or fictional.

:small_orange_diamond:Posability is a key element to look at but still optional.

:small_orange_diamond:Start From a ZSphere. NO imports! Make fresh new models. No recycling (You don't learn that way...its for your own good).

:small_orange_diamond:Wireframes, Progression Modeling, and/or screenshots of your progress. This is not to show us you are working but to help others to see workflow. Trust me...it helps tons! Models, ZScripts, and other support materials are always welcome.

:small_orange_diamond:Doesn't have to be a textured though if you have the time..by all means...get her done!

:small_orange_diamond:Time Limit is a week. We start anew next Monday.

:small_orange_diamond:Nobody is too good or not good enough. This is open to everyone.

Now the IRC Channel has been moved to irc.freenode.net
Channel: #zbrushies
Port: 6667

There are more individuals there and from different parts of the 3D wood.

I would also like to state that this IS NOT in part with ZBC aside from using the lovely forum as a harbinger of the knowledge shared with MNC (Thank you Aurick and Pixolator). They are in no way responsible for anything partaining to MNC . They, in time, will start their own Challenge. So if you have questions, comments, or even a problem, bark st us…not them. Thanks.

Thank you and Happy ZBrushin everyone.

:large_orange_diamond: Need an IRC application?

:small_orange_diamond: [http://www.mirc.com](http://www.mirc.com)  for PC.
           :small_orange_diamond: [http://www.ircle.com](http://www.ircle.com)  for Mac.
           :small_orange_diamond: [http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/downloads/](http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/downloads/)  for an All-In-One.

EXTENDED

I would like to thank all the participants of this weeks Monday Night Challenge. We had an excellent turnout with many fine entries and loads of fun. Pixologic has informed me that they are going to make a gallery of this weeks entries. Because of this, we will not be picking a new challenge for this week. Instead, we will be extending the challenge one more week. This will allow those who didn’t have a chance to participate to do so and be a part of the MNC/ZBC Gallery. We are also going to append some details to the challenge to make it just a touch new as well.

:small_orange_diamond:Lets add our freshwater friends too. Little household lovelies too like Goldfish, Fighting Fish, snails, and hermit crabs. Salamandors and froggies too! 

:small_orange_diamond:Once again, posbility is only an option. So is Texturing. 

:small_orange_diamond:Focus on details. [The video's of Martin Krol (Ambient-Whisper) and Ofer Alon (Pixolator)](http://pixologic.com/zbrush/media_links/movies.html) clearly illustrate adding details to your models. Go get them! Lets make them proud they took the time to make those!          ;)

:small_orange_diamond:Don't be shy. If you have any questions as too how or why something was done thenjust ask. Remember, the purpose of all this is to learn (and one day Master)ZBrush. 

So crank those babies up and let get it rolling again!

Good luck and Happy ZBrushing everyone!

PS - DO NOT forget to type the tag [Gallery Entry] below the image you wish to have submitted to the gallery. Please, only one entry per member.
Thanks everyone.

The gallery page for this thread can be accessed by pressing one of the following links…
Click above to see all images available in this thread.

View Gallery
Click above to view the images which have been tagged with the “Gallery Entry” text.

Hey! Sorry I missed the chat, but I am soooo happy that the Monday Night Challenge is on again. Thanks a bunch… I will definitely be contributing something!

YahHoo! — :smiley:

Glad to see you all got the challenge going again. Sorry I was unable to make it as well. I have a touch of the flu I think…day 4 right now and it’s whoopin’ the ole man…I will try to join in the fun.

P.S. Thnx for the heads up Raf :+1: :+1: :+1:

Here is my first update. I’m doing a giant squid.

My first tip for any Zb newbies is that when you work with zspheres to preview the mesh with a density of 1. This gives you a clearer idea of where the zpheres are in relation with the mesh. This helps you avoid a bad mesh. Once you have your major elements in place preview with a density of 2 to adjust the proportions.

Good luck with your entries.

Small bed of Sea Urchins :slight_smile:

Litichinus Purperatus (probably spelled wrong … its been years)

Dan

Hi everyone! It’s been a long while since I posted anything so I thought I would take a break from my latest obsession (City of Heroes MMORG) and throw something into the ring. I whipped this up on my lunch break so I will do some more work on it this evening and get you a better render. I will post more info on what I did etc. at that time too. Thanks for taking a peep!

Sea Turtle:

Texture work done with Projection Master.

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/uploaded_from_zbc/200405/user_image-1084937444iap.jpg[/img] [gallery entry]

The steps:

Some notes concerning what was done:
:large_orange_diamond: All the work was done in Edit mode. There is no Projection Master work except for the texture
:large_orange_diamond: The Shell plates and ridges were done using the Layer Edit Brush (in the Transform pallet)
:large_orange_diamond: I used the Pinch Edit Brush (again in the Transform pallet) to pinch the shell together along the edges.
:large_orange_diamond: The eye is completely modeled on the head and painted. There is no seperate sphere for the eyeball.
:large_orange_diamond: I did all of my editing in ZSphere Preview Edit Mode and most of the modeling was done on a mesh that was less than 250K polys.
:large_orange_diamond: Then final model was adaptive skinned and bumped up to about 1.2 Million polys for smoothing purposes.
:large_orange_diamond: I did the modeling on my lunch hour (actually about 1hr 15mins - I took an extended lunch :smiley: ). The texturing took about 90 minutes. In all with final post work the project was about 3 hours.

Awesome…totally awesome!
I hope to wip something up tonight (was gonna do a sea turtle but might as well try something different. Thanks for the peek and can’t wait for more.

Begin of my contibution

[img]http://www.heartman.freesurf.fr/Zbrush/homar.jpg[/img]

Edit >>

Edit >>

Edit >>

Edit >>

Edit >> here is the material and light used in the 2 lastest pics.
for the last pic I changed the back light position little bit upper, and added painted texture on the model.

homard.zip

Cool stuff :slight_smile: I might try a bit of Zbrushing tonight…

Great turtle Mentat7 :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to see your squid Raf, it’s looking pretty good so far!

Cool urchins Dan! Is that a fibre material or is it all geometry? Either way, cool stuff!

Great sea turtle Mentat7! I especially like his head.

Sorry Fouad! I missed your post the first time around, and I think your lobster is going to be awesome! I already think you have a pretty good shape for it, and I know your details are going to be spot on!

And now on to my creation. I figured I’d keep with Pixolator’s theme for deep sea critters, and I modeled the Gulper Eel. About 3 hours of work.

[img]http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/.Pictures/gulpereel.jpg[/img]

I used Sven’s Moldy tools to make this, and I’d highly recommend checking it out!

Keep em coming folks!

PS: You can view the other background renders from the pic above here:
http://homepage.mac.com/chadtheartist/.Pictures/eel2.jpg

EDIT:

Here is a zscript of the making of this guy. It messes up close to the end, and I don’t know why. Howevery, it leaves you with a model that is pretty much finished, except for the small details.

Right Click and Save

You need Z2 for this zscript. Plus you need to set the document size to at least 1024 X 768 or higher, and do NOT initialize Z2 when you hit play on the zscript. Just skip the initialization.

WOW look at those, you guys are awsome!
Here is my contribution :smiley:

Here guys the material I used can be used as scales (?) maybe :smiley:

sirena.zip

Wow guys! This makes me so glad the challenge is back.

Rafael: can’t wait to see more

Dan: way cool sea urchins

Fouad: you made me very hungry (great modeling so far!)

Wchamlet: cool model…you reminded me why I haven’t scuba dived in a long time :slight_smile:

Azteca: very cool can’t wait to see more

and

Mentat: oy “I did this on my lunch hour” hahaha great model…I started a sea turtle…and I’ll keep going with him but now I must find some other creature I think. sigh. mine after hours would never be close to what you did in one or less…can’t wait to see your at home “better render”!!

Keep up the cool entries guys!! a pleasure to follow!

Great stuff!
Was out all night…didn’t get a chance to play. Still looking for something to make as well…lol.
Keep em coming yall!

Just a Doodle :slight_smile:

Going to try again to make something a little more realistic later on…

here is snorkie the sea slug…

here is the Zscript for the curious :slight_smile:

snorker.zip

Hope you all like it :slight_smile: the Zscript covers all the modeling…
[Gallery Entry]
[Gallery Entry]

cool, mentat7, your sea-turtle is perfect :+1: :+1: and it would be nice swimming i my “Coral Reef” :smiley: :smiley:

Great modelling, great lightning – I love it

–FouadB., nice and cute crayfish, yeah :+1:

–Polaris30: snorkie-rulezz :smiley:

Thank yall 4 inspiration, guyzz :smiley:

bigger one in main forum…

Dan: Are those sea urchins geometry or fiber shader?

Mentat: those sea turtles are excellent. Nice work as always.

Fouad: That lobster looks good enough to eat. I like the material and lighning on the final one.

wchamlet: Is that eel based on a real fish? It looks fearsome. Nice work.

Cool Merman Aztec.

Polaris: Another one for the sea creatures collection. I’ll be waiting for your final entry.

Abyssis: I like the sea plant and the lighting. It gives it a sort of surreal look.

After struggling with the giant squid. I desided to go the other way and instead of a titan of the sea I did a tiny sea horse. I’ll rest a bit and then I’ll whup that damm squid. It weights at 1 734 000 polygons.

[Gallery Entry]

Another tip for the newbies. The size of the a saved ztool depends on the level of subdivision that you save at. Example: This sea horse has 7 levels of subdivision. If I save it at level 7 I get a 121 megabytes file. If I save at subdivision level 1 I get a 34 megabytes file. There does not seem to be a difference between the two when you open them again. I’m guessing that the larger one saves all the geometry while the smaller one saves a displacement map.

I am really liking this thread! Great work everyone, makes me want to do another one tonight!

The Gulper Eel is a real creature, it lives about 10,000 feet below sea level, and can swallow prey up to twice it’s size!

A illustration of one:

I imbellished mine a bit, you know, because I can do it so easily with Z2. :smiley:

More Urchins …