ZBrushCentral

Concept Art using ZB

I think Zbrush can be used as a powerfull painting tool for concept art, since it combines smart 2d-2.5d brushes, with 3D props and materials, all in one place.
In this step by step walkthrough I explore a workflow that can be used for quick, concept art or even for finished matt paintings (with a bit of help from old PS).

Before I start with the steps, I have here 3 zscripts showing you the ways I use some of the 2D tools:

The first Zscript shows you how to create a blocky alpha brush, for expressive sketching and painting.

The second Zscript shows the process I use for sketching in perspective.

The third Zscript shows you how to use the Highlighter brush to create light, light beams and atmospheric conditions.

In the step by step process, I take for granted that you know the staff that I show in the Zscripts. If you don’t, then download and play them.

Here we go. Have fun;)

[[attach=25466]StepByStep1.JPG[/attach]]StepByStep1.JPG

[[attach=25467]StepByStep2.JPG[/attach]]StepByStep2.JPG

[[attach=25468]StepByStep3.JPG[/attach]]StepByStep3.JPG

[[attach=25469]StepByStep4.JPG[/attach]]StepByStep4.JPG

For this Wonderful Tutorial!
I was always interrested besides creating characters in Enviroments, Matte paintings etc etc!
You hit the spot by giving me this Tutorial:+1:
When i have time i will show you my wips what have become from this tut!:wink:
And i say it again Thanks!:+1:

I hope you enjoyed the walkthrough. If you have questions, I’ll be happy to answer.

[[attach=25470]StepByStep5.JPG[/attach]]StepByStep5.JPG

Brilliant. Thank you !!!

What a wonderful thread. I love concept art but have never thought it was “possible” in ZBrush, but to see someone actually do it really makes me want to try it out. Thanks a lot for the scripts and step-by-step pictures.

Quick question, did you also do the pigeons in ZBrush. I would think that you left such delicate painting to Photoshop?

This is beautiful work Myth. Long time no see and I can see why now. Thanks for one of the most beautiful tutorials I have ever seen:D :+1:

very cool, it automatically inspires me to get creating. excellent!

Woarg, funky man… do you make Zbrushing only for sketch ?

Thanks for taking the time to make this tutorial. :+1: Interesting stuff!

This looks fantastic! :slight_smile:

Thanks a bunch!

Thank you people, for your enthousiastic words!

Artmarqy, I am looking forward for your WIPs

TVeyes, the pigeons are indeed painted in photoshop. They could have been painted in Ζbrush, but they were an afterthought, created as I was puting my tutorial notes together in photoshop, and I was too lazy to further explore the painting potential of Zbrush.

Smileman, I use Zbrush not only for sketching but also for finished paintings. This was a tutorial in concept art, which is basically a finished sketch, but those same techniques could apply for a matt painting or a finished illustration.

nice work also btw, great image

…and pedagogic :+1:
Pilou

5 Stars for the final image!;)…oh…dang! i voted 5 stars allready…lol gues i cant give you a few other stars laying in a line from 5 :wink:

Will most devenitly show you when i have tried a couple. Thx:sunglasses:
Keep up the GREAT work:+1:

Thanx a lot for this step by step tuto.
The final image is amazing.

Thanks for share your work and your talent.
It’s long time i can’t see a tutorial like this…

Very good work.

cameyo