ZBrushCentral

Shroud of Turin

I have been thinking about modeling the Shroud of Turin. I have been starting off with a flat plane in a modeling program of mine, but I will admit that my skill is not there yet. I will keep at it.

The idea was to make the image of Christ either rise up out of the plane or even trickier invert the image so you can see it when looking strait at it but when you rotate it you see the image actually sink inward.

I have been using this pic as a reference http://www.forteantimes.com/gallery/images/shroud.jpg

I though this might make a good challenge for the talent here at ZbrushCentral

That is kinda interesting idea . Do you mean that you want to make the image with shadows and not by painting color? if so you got to get the light set up right before you start modeling I would think. Post if you start it I would like to see what heppens with this.

Yes. I want the shadows to create the image. I would really like to do the image inverted on the flat plane. Right now I am experimenting with the face, well a face, just to get an idea of how the light is going to workout and how to model, I guess I could say, “backwards”.

I did this by modeling a face the boolean subtracting it off a flat surface. With the light the face seams to follow you… i added an image to show that it is truley inverted.

( I removed the files here and added better ones below)

i saw something recently on the history channel and they had someone take an image of the shroud they turned it into black and white (alpha) and can’t remember positively but I believe they also inverted it then they used that image to plot the highs and lows and use some sort of algorithym to extrapolate the missing date to get a 3d picture of what the person who left the marks looked like…it was a very interesting result. not sure if they have something about it at their website but i bet they do.

Yes I saw that one. I even saw a show where they placed the image under some camara NASA uses to map out planets surface. Thats when they discovered the image had a 3d quality to it.

I did an experment…

I took the image of the face and used it as a bump map on a flat surface. I did not get any amazing results. I think that if I darkened the blacks and lightened the whites the in PSP I could get better results.

Use the Projection Master !
Take one Polymesh as a big cub3D (the Matrix)
Call the Projection Master: Enable “Deformation”
Drop it!
Now call your Head (or the entiere shroud) (a polymesh3D too) with “Zsub” enable
Pick up !

The mystery of the Turin’s Shroud revelated :smiley:

Thanks I am warming up the Zbrush demo to see what I can do.

Here are my experments via Amorphium 3
face1.JPG

Attachments

face2.JPG

face3.JPG

shroud_pic2.jpg

This is an interesting idea but really the only way is to be creative with it. The ‘depth’ in the photos of the shroud is not subtle enough on its own. This image was produced by using Gaussian Blur on the image in Photoshop. I also edited out the ‘blood’ marks and creases. I then used this as a mask on a plane in ZBrush. The sculpting was done by hand so that I could raise the nose, forehead and lips for a satisfactory result. The picture is of the plane with the photo applied as a texture.

marcus_civis, I really like your Shroud pics! Thank you! I was hoping some one would try this. It looks like what it should look like.

Marcus_civis,

funny you post this, I have done the same yesterday…! No Joke!

Ciao, Angelo

With the demo you can’t load, import any image!
You must ask somebody to embeded it into an object3D + texture material (for example)
Demo can import a “tool 3D” :slight_smile:
So you will can make you trying :slight_smile:
As a demo user I can’t send to you an image :wink:
Pilou
Ps
Official Site and Septical Site :rolleyes:

This is just a simple plane with a pic of the shroud mapped on it. Then a adjusted pic used as a bump map.

shroud.JPG

Jesus Christ… what can i say. :smiley:

Wow I forgot all about this! Hmm, XSI, I wonder? Image to displacement map on high poly grid:idea: