ZBrushCentral

Candle TUT: ZBrush to C4d

Candle_tut_final_render.jpg
Here is my first 5 part Flash tutorial series from zBrush modeling to the final render in C4D:

zBrush Modeling, Part 1
zBrush stencils, Part 2
zBrush export low poly model & disp. map, Part 3
C4d import model & disp. map, Part 4
C4D sss material & final renders, Part5
C4D source files

Hope you find this useful!
Lynne

cool, thanks !!! :+1:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: very good Tutorials :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hi Lynne,
many thanks for sharing. Quite detailed tut :+1:

thank you!!! :+1:

Using hypernurbs on the candle really loses a lot of the advantages of the displacement map, using sub poly displacement brings render times down from an hour to a few mins

Anything to speed things up! Thanks for the tip.

By the way i am also frugal with my ram, i too enjoy the wonders of c4d and zb with a mere 256 MB though i do have a whooping 1.6 Ghz AMD !!!

I can work well in ZB up to about 1.5 million polys and i once brought a 700,000 poly model into C4D with no problems

I have a fledgling tutorial site up ay http://www.black-and-white-to-color.com/ipbsfx/

Wonderfull tutorial!!! 5 stars, keep up the good work!

:+1:
Jamanta

Here is my low quality version but rendred in 15 mins including radiosity (256 MB RAM 1.6 Ghz AMD)

lynnescandle2.jpg

And in only 15 minutes! I will certainly have to go back and do some revisions to the rendering part. Glad to see your work as a result.

Here are my new settings for rendering

Using these sub-polygon Displacement setting instead of putting the model in a hypernurb:
Subdivision Level 4
check-Round Geometry
check-Round Contour
check-Map Rounded Geometry
check-Keep Original Edges

with no filter on the displacement texture and a height of 0.4m

The results were identical at a fraction of the render time.

Huge thanks to paulselhi for this time saving advise.

Thanx Lynne. Nice looking tut’s. I’ve only watched the first 5 mins so far and don’t have c4d so I’m just interested in the ZB tut’s.

Thanks i was wondering about C4D Now i know i mainly use Maya/XSI

Its first time for me that I am arrive until the end. Thank you very much Linne You are a good teacher. Thanks a lot. (of Paris) :+1: :+1: :+1:

Hi Lynne,

I loved your tutorials! They are very clear. Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience.

BTW, I found your tutorials through the PixelCorps forum.

I have a question about the scaling of the model aand displacement map. Is the scaling always consistent, or does it depend on the settings in ZBrush2? It would be logical for the scaling factor to be the same, every time you import into C4D. Have you experimented with this yet?

Thanks again,

Steve

I must admit the scaling issue is still a mystey to me. The candle was started in zbrush and exporting with scale factor (?) set at 1. yet when I went to C4d it was HUGE. For my Egyptian Jewelry tutorial the model started in C4D so I could check the exact size. After doing it’s thing in Zbrush and returning to c4d the model importing HUGE again. But this time I could at least resize it to it’s original size. The candle I just kept scaling down until the displacement map stopped looking puffy when rendered. I’m still trying to figure this issue out. Will let you know more when I do. THANKS!

Hi Lynne,

I watched the Modo2 demo. Luxology mentioned that they have seamlessly streamlined the ZBrush workflow and support the product. Maybe Maxon will do the same.

Here is a link to the Modod 2 demo.
http://luxology.com/modo/201/event.aspx

Steve

Watched the conference movie…WOW! Now I wish I had MODO. Thanks for the info.

Awesome! Another tutorial for Cinema 4D/ZBrush’ers. :slight_smile:

Thanks! :+1: