ZBrushCentral

modo-zbrush-messiah [SPIDER "ANIMATION" & process]

Believe it or not I was doing some jackhammering and noticed quite a bit of spiders under the 5 inches of rebar and concrete. As I jackhammered away I started studying these neat little creatures. After a few hours of jacking around I decided to create my own. So on my little breaks ( if you are a computer nerd and using a jackhammer, you have to take 20min breaks about every 2-3 hrs) I would sit down on my computer and start the creative juices flow’n.

This is about 2hrs of work and 1hr of rendering. Initial modo model was done in about 30min, then I spent about 30 minutes putting a quick displacement map on the model in ZBrush (used GUV’s) mainly used projection master (because it is fast). My main goal with the displacement was to just break up the lighting on the surface to get the most out of a very simple model. Couldn’t help but make a diffuse and a color map. Mixed it all together in a large bowl of Messiah Studio and there ya have it.

Average renders were about 55 seconds. [3ghz pentium] maps were all 4k. here are some pics: [img]http://www.monkeyshltfight.com/public/ZBrushCentral/spider/spider_comp_01.jpg[/img] Here is an animation link: [spider_A.mov](http://www.monkeyshltfight.com/public/ZBrushCentral/spider/spider_A.mov) I don't know when I will get the chance but I plan on doing a real nice animation based on the test above. I think you guys will like it. I will post it when I finish. Unfortunatly my time is lacking so it probably won't be for a month, but I hope it is sooner. I really enjoy ZBrush and how much it helps my workflow. Speed is of the essence. Enjoy, Chris Reid

Very realistic spider …looks like a brown recluse…I look forward to another .mov with this critter…:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

ron
catfishmn@aol.com

I would hate to think that the spiders I saw were Brown Recluse :eek:.
I don’t know what kind they were, but they didn’t look exactly like the one here. This was completely fabricated based on some of my observations.

Thanks for the vote, I didn't realize we could vote on each thread. I guess you learn something every day... thanks Chris Reid

very nice :+1:

I havn’t had a chance to test Messiah displacement yet Can you show us the shader tree ?

That is an excellent example of getting the most out of your tools. How long did it take to rig it in Messiah?

That is well done for such little time put in. You have quite an arsenal with those three programs.

I must say I have never had the stamina for hours of jacking:D.

td4-
Don’t want to confuse you here. The maps on the left are screen shots from ZBrush. The true textures are GUV’s so you cant see what I really did. I had to crank up the lighting in ZBrush for the color map so you could see the definition, but I still included how it really looks in ZBrush.

I also opened the gradient for the diffuse/TranslucencyFake in the legs. It is just a simple gradient Camera Incidence with the black squeezed in a bit.

vislaw- It was very quick to rig probably about 20-30 min at tops: Here are my steps: =============================================== placed a couple bones in the head, thorax and abdomin. Then made 4 IK Null goals for the left side (no parents) Made a left side Control bone (this would be a parent to all of the legs on the left) it is a child to the Thorax.

Then placed the bones in the front leg attached them to the IK null. I addjusted their stiffness (Bank to 1, Heading to 1, pitch was different at each joint to get the spidery look and control).
Copied the chain and repositioned it for each leg.
Then I just mirrored the leftSide Control Bone and messiah takes care of all the effectors and everything.

Big Bucks-:lol: was wondering when someone would say something here.:p

one more note:
Just so you are aware, I highly recommend creating your own UV map in modo or whatever modelling tool you prefer. This will elliminate some of the cracks in the surface that you can somtimes get. If you are doing something with very little displacement like the spider than you can get away without GUV’s AUV’s, but if you do a head with lots of displacement and movement you are bound to see some seams.

Thanks for showing the shader tree Chris, interesting technique. I love the anim, very nice work.

great…now i’ve got the creeps :smiley:
nice job

thanks Ron & Industripop,

Yeah, when I see how fast this was and what kind of results I got with such a low poly model it really motivates me to keep it going. Can’t wait to take it to the next level. As for the shader tree, No problem… let me know anything else you would like to see.

Chris Reid

hi chris,

still trying to wade thru the old messages in the mail group so this may be answered elsewhere and haven’t seen it yet but notice that you didn’t use minmax for the displacement. did you use two separate maps? set it globally (think I read something about doing that in the manual but haven’t absorbed all that yet) or what? also do ya know of a more recent zb2messiah pdf or tute somewhere…i found an old one you did or made for someone elses tute but think its for an older version of messiah.

ok that should be enuf annoying questions for the moment.:smiley:

I know that min max can be accessed in the texture map node now. Just check the remap box and punch in the new values. I don’t know about any new tuts though.

I’m going a bit off topic here, i just wanna ask how good is modo at doing non-organics and is it easy to learn, thanks.

Thanks Big Bucks!

If you are used to lightwave or any other poly-based modeling software it is the same. It has some very nice features that lightwave doesn’t like edges; which I would think would make it better for non-organics. I would bet there is a trial version or something out there, give it a shot. I don’t do much non-organic modelling, but I would bet it is pretty nice. Only drawback is that it’s sdk(software development kit) isn’t out (that I know of) so it lacks in amount of plugins compared to established packages. However the scripting language is pretty thourough, yet seems a bit buggy to me.

Sorry for the long wait, don’t check this stuff to often.

Chris Reid