ZBrushCentral

Newbie Challenge #6 EARS, MY DEARS

NEWBIE CHALLENGE #6 … EARS

Ok, grapple fans, I’ve got a real tester for you this time. We’re going to make an ear … just using ZBrush. It’s not easy … it’s not stinky-hard either, but you will need to concentrate and experiment.

Now, there are a number of ways to make a reasonably accurate ear in ZB. In our quest to learn new tools and methods, the approach I’m using here is with edgeloops and ZB’s method of creating extrusions. An ‘extrusion’, in case you don’t know, is where you move one or more polygons and the software fills in connecting polygons for you. In ZB you hide all polygons except for the ones you want to move. Move them manually or using an option in the Deformation menu (Offset, Size, Rotate, Taper etc), then hit Edgeloop. Connecting polys will magically appear. In the attached script I use this technique to move the ear canal into the head, to raise the bulk of the ear proud of the head, and to create thickened edges.

It is much easier and more efficient to create ears in an external modeller. However, we’re here to learn ZB, eh? I’ve attached some pics of my own ear, which you may find useful. Then there’s a graphic showing the method I’m using in the attached script to get the initial polygons for the ear. The 3 edgeloops shown will give a decent start … after that, it’s all a question of adding detail, and moving vertices and edges into a nice flowing mesh.

The Script

When I extrude the bulk of the ear away from the head, I faff about a bit trying different distances, rotations and offsets to get the ear at the right angle. The final settings I use are Z offset -20, Y rotation +30, X offset -10, followed by an edgeloop. I’ve left all the ‘Undo’s’ in place, because that feels more honest. Heh heh. I also waste a bit of time by creating polygroups for some of the parts of the ear. The idea was to make the structure clearer. Not sure that I succeed. Ah well.

Some way into the script I hide all of the ear and do something with the head. You can’t see what I’m clicking on because the tool palette extends below the bottom of the screen. All I’m doing is masking the head, so I can move the ear without affecting the head itself.

This challenge is all about the actual geometry and shape of the ear, which is why I’ve just made one. If you decide to make a pair, mirrored on both sides of a head, just substitute Size for Offset (normally it’ll be increasing or decreasing the size along the X axis, rather than offsetting along the Z axis as I’m doing).

THE CHALLENGE

Go on … have a guess. Yup … make an ear or ears to be proud of and show us here. Scripts, wireframes, timelapses, tools, textures, renders … whatever you fancy. More experienced modellers who pop by and know much better methods for making ears in ZB will be welcomed with open arms.

Hints and Tips

Stick your finger in your ear. Feel where everything goes and what connects to what. Study photos and real people. Pretty obvious, really.

The only part of the ear that goes below the surface of the head is the ear canal itself. Everything else radiates out from the canal. The Antihelix (the ‘Y’ shaped area in the centre of the ear) isn’t flat, but curves in 2 directions … at its top it lies very close to the skull (in fact, the right-hand arm of the antihelix does actually attach to the head). The central part of the antihelix is often the most sticking-out part of the ear. And the bottom also attaches to the head, just above the lobe. The whole antihelix gives rigidity to the ear (feel the ridge in your own ear … notice how it’s the top edge of the ring of cartilage that rises from the skull and lifts the ear away from the head). A common mistake (and one I’ve made myself in my entry below) is to over-do the curled edges of the helix (the rim around the outer edge of the ear). It shouldn’t be curled over all the way round the ear, but only for about half starting where the antihelix begins to head upwards across the ear. And make the rounded edges nice and fleshy. Mine are too thin, and so don’t look very realistic.

Good luck!
[attach=20399]ear_edgeloops.jpg[/attach]
[attach=20400]ear_pic.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

ear_edgeloops.jpg

ear_pic.jpg

Here’s the photo reference I mentioned. It’s too big to upload here, so a link is below. Right click and save target as…
http://www.wyldehearts.com/tutorials/ear_composite.jpg

This will be fun!

I thought that I would post this link as it has some great reference pics and some good links for ear modeling over at Silo forums. You might need to join to get into the forum but it’s free to join and has some good tutorials so worth the price of admission.:wink:

Hi Moochie,
Just noticed this was ongoing. I’ve only done one set of ears. Makes me want to pick up some clay, model the ears and stuff them into the computer some how:lol: . I got to busy to do the eyelids but I realy need this one. I should have some time tommorrow.

Aminuts,
Thanks - got some great insight.

ear2sm.jpg

I find I that hair is migrating from my head to virtually every other place on my body…

[Gallery Entry]

Attachments

EAR.ZTimeLapseImagesm.jpg

Yay! Splendid lug-hole! Pat yourself on the back … you did good! Now you’ve got the basic shape and one methodology that works, you’ll never need suffer ear trauma when modelling. Cool. :+1:

Moochie : This is my first entry in the forum. I am still in the learning stage .I practice with Practical Guide and the guidence I get from the various forums is of immence help The model is prepared completely in ZBrush with hemisphere. It took about one hour and fifteen minutes, Edgeloop manipulation takes a little more time than in other application with extrusion and splitting polygon features. . This attempt gave me a lot more confidence using edgeloopnoobie challenge # 6 EAR.JPG .
This requires finishing and C & C from forum members will help.

Nice one. kkv! Your ear has a good shape and volume. A splendid attempt. :+1:

Never any need to be apologetic about being a learner … we all are! Even the professionals are happy to declare that they are always learning something new with this amazing bit of software. That’s one of the things that makes ZB Central such a special board.

Don’t forget to check out the ‘Artist in Action’ vids from Anh (see Top Row), who shows a great way to model an ear just by working on a sphere, without touching edge-loops. :smiley:

Moochie Thanks very much for your kind words of encouragement and guidance I have already downloaded the videos. As I said earlier these forums are a perennial source of inspiration and guidance for all
KKV

Hi!
I tried to make a low poly ear that still looked like an ear - all in zbrush.
I was happy with the result so I’m posting it.
& Here’s how I went at it : Untitled-3.jpg

is there some kind of support group for zbrush addicts like me? :slight_smile:

Attachments

ear.jpg

Hey … that’s really cool, dzip! Got good shape there with the edges all flowing nicely. Nothing to fault at all. Yay!

Started Using edgeloops and going back adding more as the sub leves went up as needed. Never done ears before so took me longer than expected.

Here at sub lev1

Slightly higher sub level more detail.

Much higher sub lev again adding more detail as I go.

Using basic painting in zbrush then using zapplink to finnish in photoshop.

thanks Moochie,
I love the newbee challenges.

Just wondered if anyone has a picture ref of behind the ear? My cam batteries are gone otherwise would have taken a pic of my own.:smiley:

i thought moochie’s pics of his ear had some from behind?

Yea your right didnt see that link in his post.

Nice work, tez! Don’t forget the antihelix has a Y shape … one arm follows the cartilagethat holds the ear away from the head, the other arm helps give rigidity to the upper wing of the ear.

Moochie thanks for pointing that out dont know how I missed that? must be too many hours at the screen. There was a few other areas that needed correcting also so iv done them as well. Anymore that you see please say much apriciated.:+1:

Before:

After:

Excellent! And full marks for sticking at the task … perspiration is 90% of learning ZB. Once you ‘get it’, it’s no sweat at all. Terrible pun, I’m ashamed to say, intended. :smiley: