ZBrushCentral

Pixologic Release - ZApp Link (Windows & Mac)(Updated Rev2 for Mac on Oct 17th, 2005)

[attach=19770]image001.jpg[/attach]
Continuing the Roadmap to ZBrush 2.5, Pixologic, makers of the award-winning program ZBrush, have released a new plug-in: ZApp Link.

<b><span class="orange">ZApp Link</span></b> is a free plug-in that extends and enhances ZBrush’s texturing and illustration capabilities by automating the connection with programs such as Photoshop, Painter, or Illustrator. </span>

<b>ZApp Link</b> works with click-button ease and continues Pixologic’s commitment to providing innovative tools to support <b>next generation</b> <b>artists</b> forging the work of tomorrow. 

Modeler and texture artist, <b><span class="orange">Caroline Delen</b>, says, “The <b>ZApp Link</b> is an excellent addition making it possible to project photographic reference or any painting directly onto your ZBrush viewport through Photoshop and has definitely become an important part of my workflow.”</span>

<b><span class="orange">Leigh van der Byl</span></b>, Texture Artist at <b>Cafe FX</b>, says "<b>ZApp Link </b>is a fantastic feature that has helped to make my Photoshop/Zbrush texturing workflow more efficient and intuitive. <b>It's a must-have tool</b>. Pixologic is taking what is often an unintuitive, bothersome process and making it more accessible to artists who just want to get straight to the creative parts of texturing."

For a view of <b>ZApp Link's </b>abilities visit <b>Caroline Delen's Artist in Action</b> post [<u>here.</u>](http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=28111) 

:large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond:Click here to download the PC version of ZApp Link & documentation.:large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond:

Rev1 of ZApp Link relies on file associations within the operating system. Macintosh users who are experience problems with these file associations may want to download Rev2 of ZApp Link below:

[:large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond:](http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/Plugins/ZAppLinkRev2-Mac.zip)[Click <u>here</u> to download Rev2 of ZApp Link for the Mac.](http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/Plugins/ZAppLinkRev2-Mac.zip)[:large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond:small_orange_diamond:large_orange_diamond:](http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/Plugins/ZAppLinkRev2-Mac.zip) 

Installing <b>ZApp Link</b>

Extract the zip file. Move the contents of the ZApp Link folder to the ZStartup/ ZPlugs directory. If there is no ZPlugs folder, create one.
Launch ZBrush
ZApp Link will place a button in your Document palette.

October 12th, 2005: Version 1 released
   October 17th, 2005: Version 2 for Mac released 

Using <b>ZApp Link</b> 
     :large_orange_diamond:  Press <b>ZApp Link </b>in the Document palette 
    :large_orange_diamond:  Choose your export settings 
    :large_orange_diamond:  For Rev2 for the mac, the first time you run <b><span class="orange">ZApp Link</span></b> it will ask you to choose the program that you would like to edit your .PSD files with. You can change this later by going to your ZAppLinkData folder and altering the path in the ZAppExternatlEditor.txt file
    :large_orange_diamond:  If you are using Rev1, it will open the file with the program you have associated with .PSD files
    :large_orange_diamond:  In your .PSD editor, use whatever tools you need then save the document
    :large_orange_diamond:  Return to <b>ZBrush</b> and choose to accept the changes or return to the external editor for more changes 

Note: The functionality of choosing your editor was added to the Macintosh version to address operating system issues. This functionality will be added to future versions of ZApp Link for the PC.

Please share any questions you may have or images that you have used ZApp Link to create in this thread.  :)  

</span><b>:small_orange_diamond::small_orange_diamond::small_orange_diamond: A thread for Troubleshooting any problems that you might be having with ZAppLink has been added to the Questions & Troubleshooting forum.  Please do not post such messages here.  Post them in the [Questions & Troubleshooting Thread](http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=29777) instead.  Thanks!  :)</b> 
   <span class="font2">
   Enjoy!

</span>

Attachments

image001.jpg

Woot! :smiley:

Wonderful. I just used thouse programs for my last background design in Zbrush. Best luck.

Exxxcellllent

-Mr Burns

Very much appreciated <------- Understatement.

it’s here :smiley:

Long Live Pixolator!!!

Thanks Pixologic :slight_smile:

Going to invite GIMP to my Zbrushing now 8)

EDIT:

Woo Hoo!!

Works like a champ!! Gimp and Z2 are now married on my system :slight_smile:

one tip for GIMP users…:small_blue_diamond:small_orange_diamond:small_blue_diamond:press control-m to merge layers before import back to Zbrush 8):small_blue_diamond:small_orange_diamond:small_blue_diamond:

OMG thankyou! this is way too cool :slight_smile:

Testing the Zapplink plugin on a Mac. It’s opening every image program except Photoshop to edit the texture. Even w/ Photoshop open it wants to go to “Preview” or “ColorSync” etc. Can’t get it to go to PS at all.

Am I doing something wrong???

thank you a lot for this plugin.

it is working well with photoshop elements, but as i am a heavy corel draw
and corel photopaint user i had no luck with those softwares.

the updated files where not accepted by zapplink.

any hints for me on how to get it working?

thanks,
daniel

Works great with Gimp.
http://www.gimp.org/

Friggin amazing! Now I have to learn how to draw a paper bag in Photoshop!
But in 2 mins I created some cool textures with filters etc… I can only imagine what people will do with this, waiting to find out.

:D:D:D

this is best announcement ever. i luv u guys :+1:

Thanks! That saves a few steps!
:+1: :+1: :+1:
LemonNado

my computer (Mac) has many programs that open .PSD. How can I direct
ZappLink to a specific one???

thanks,

Jeff

Thanx, another step to a better workflow.:+1:

I’ve been waiting for this plugin for a loooong time. Absolutely perfect.

Another wonderful news :wink:

Hmmm, not too bad, but it doesn’t work correctly with PhotoImpact. I have to save the changes in PI, and then head back to the program from Zbrush before the changes appear updated in Zbrush.

ZApp Link seems to work very well also with JASC Paint Shop Pro (at least version 8, which is what I have). I have the GIMP as well (actually a whole bunch of 2D apps now) but PSP is my preferred tool just by virtue of experience (was cheaper than photoshop before I ever knew about GIMP).

Thanks again for such a cool plugin, really adds to ease of use all around in 3d texturing.

Thanks a lot! :smiley: