Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Javier: That middle image, the maquette you are using for reference was from Jurassic Park 2. The original design was done by "Crash" McCreery at Stan Winston Studios. He's a GOD of creature design.
    I worked at Dreamworks Interactive back in '95-'96 and made a lo-res compy for a game they did based on Crash's sketches. I also made a higher resolution Lightwave model for myself, as I really liked Crash's take on the compsignathus.

I imported The LW model into Z-Brush a few months ago. Tonight I saw your
    reference and thought you might like to use my model for reference also. I took a tweaked out bump map I did in LW and threw it into Projection Master to use as a displacement and it worked nicely.

I present you my Z-Brush version of the Jurassic Park 2 Compsignathus. I hope he helps you along. If not, what the hell, it was a blast doing something different in Z-Brush than my usual head models...

Nick, sorry to threadjack your excellent Tortosaur... Just thought I'd help a fellow Z-Brusher along...

Dickie

CompyHighBump_01.jpg

Hey Dickie! Thx a lot for the great reference. I appreciate your time for the help. Didn't know that actual maquette was used for Jurassic Park 2. I found out a lot of information looking for reference for this Dinosaur. Did you know they were the smallest dinosaurs? heehe stuff like that!

I like a lot how the face area came out. Also the claws and leg muscles. I wonder how long it took you to model and texture it? You said you used Lightwave? or other?

Wow! You worked for DreamWorks... Very nice! You must had a great experience over there. I wonder how the business in creature desing and sculpting is right now? Do you know anything about it? I ask because this is what I want to specialize in the business of animation. I love to animate too and im good at it but, this is like my strongest skill.

Ok Dickie thx again and keep the good work!

Javi.

Actually, the maquette you are using is from here:

http://www.lostworldstudios.com/exhibits/dinoquest.html

They do some neat dino related stuff too.

I'm sending you a P.M. With additional info so as to not clutter this thread.

Dickie

Default No prob.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply back to the thread!

Dickie - No problem. The more help, the better! Thanks for posting up the cool dino pic!

javierloredo - Check out this thread by smellybug. You should find everything you need to know about traditional sculpting in this thread.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287

Here is a link to the shiflett brothers web forums - some very cool talented guys. You'll find all kinds of great info on their site.

http://www.shiflettbrothers.com/messageboard/index.php

Kyphur - Thanks for the link, Scott's sculpts are amazing! Thanks for the critique and compliments on my sculpt!

ZedHead - Yeah I still agree with you. One area that is really bugging me is the shoulder area. My bind pose is a T pose, that doesn't work so well for detailing a creature that will have his arms down to the side most of the time.

Now that I have him weighted I think I'll just lower his arms 45 degrees to his side and then re - texture the shoulder areas.

While I'm here I might as well show some lighting and rendering impovements that I have made.

flat_grey_weighting_013_ZB.jpg

(Again rendered in Maya's software render, bloom done in PhotoShop.)

Peace,

NickZ.
    Last edited by nickz; 11-20-05 at 03:48 PM. Reason: Adding explanation on the bottom of the image.

Awesome. The pose is very engaging.

Hey Nick!

The tutorial from smellybugs it's awesome! I use it all the time for reference. I found it in Glen Southern's website like a month ago. By the way im a great fan of Glen Southern. (www.southerngfx.co.uk). But, thx anyways for trying to help. Wow! Shiflett brothers forum has some talented sculptors. Awesome work there!

Talking now about your character... I think it's comming along very nice. Keep working on it. That character it's going to look very nice on your portfolio. hehehe! Like I said before in another post: I think you should combine some of the wrinkles from the arms with the ones from the chest. The same thing with the neck and arms.

http://pixologic.com/zbrush/interviews/sigrecap.html - On the page look for Aaron Sims video. This is the video from Aaron Sims at sigraph. He works and explains how to combine textures and wrinkles to make them more realistic.

Hope it helps! Keep the good work!

Javi.

Default Dealing with a five sided poly

dealing with a five sided poly.jpg

Here is something that I have run into as of late.

Before I brought my model into ZBrush I smoothed my cage model twice and then detailed it in ZBrush. I did this because I was using blend shapes (morph targets) to get my detail back into Maya.

Well now I want to get my original cage model back into Zbrush. I thought I would be able to do this using the feature in ZBrush that will let you generate a lower subdivision level. (Reconstruct Subdiv)

Well I was able to get back one level but not my original lowest level cage model. This is because I had 5 sided faces in my model. (bad artist.)

I was trying to figure out why there was a difference in my poly counts in ZBrush and Maya. Well after I put together the diagram above it became quite clear that if you take a 5 sided face and turn it into a quad and a tri you will get a different poly count than if you just leave five sided poly and let the computer smooth it for you.]

I personally like the way a model is smoothed when you take the five sided face and split into a quad and a tri. (Just thought I would share this small little find.)

There might still be a way for me to get back my lowest level of detail cage model, but I think I'll have to do that in Maya.

Peace,

NickZ.

Keep in mind that lower subdivisions will only be created when there are no tri's. Once tri's are encountered it will not be able to lower the poly count...
    A trap I fell into once...
    Lemo

Default So does that mean?

lemonnado - I haven't really paid attention to this in the past. If my imported base model has tri's in it will I NEVER (I hope not!) be able to go down to the lowest subdivision level or will I just not be able to recreate this subdivision level in ZBrush if it gets deleted?

Thanks for helping out!

Peace,

NickZ.
    Last edited by nickz; 11-21-05 at 01:55 PM. Reason: removing text.

Default Maya and ZBrush vertex order.

I just ran into this problem this weekend trying to fix my previous problem of having 5 sided polygons. (The way I fixed the five sided poly problem was a Maya only solution. I used my old model as a wrap deformer to get my new topology into roughly the same position. It wasn't quite exact an there was some clean up in ZBrush but nothing too bad.)

During this process I started to notice that when you take the same base cage model and smooth it in Maya and smooth it in ZBrush you will end up with different vertex ordering on your higher resolution models after they have been smoothed.

Am I crazy or is this true? I checked and re-checked my models over and over and I paid special care to make sure that when importing my obj model back into Maya that I had the create multiple objects set to false.

I put together the simplest example I could think of (a cube) and smoothed it twice in both Maya and Zbrush and I'm ending up with different vertex orders.

Any one know what is going on here?

re_oder_verts.jpg

Peace,

NickZ.

I only encountered it in the reconstruction phase. I have no idea how I can force ZB to generate a tri... Except while reconstructing..

And as far as I can recall it's Maya's hobby to change Vertex orders. Bad thing... regardless who is the culprit...

Cheers
    Lemo

if i remember correctly Maya does vertex reorder when you import it if a setting is wrong, i believe to stop this you need to change in the import options create multiple objects to false, i think it says that in the pipeline pdf too. hope that helps

Member Follow User Gallery

Hey all, maybe you could shed some light on this for me...but in my experience as soon as I delete or add an edge or vertex the point order changes...even if I put everthing back exactly the way it was I will have a different point order. Are you saying you are able to make topological changes and somehow retain the point order?

You mean, you smooth the object in two different apps? Then the software will create new vertices, and the way it gives them numbers could be totally different, there's no rule on that as far as I know. So you can't expect them to be compatible...

Default Still don't know?

Hami - I changed my base topology, that DID change my vertex ordering, but I used that mesh that had a blendshape still tied to it as a wrap deformer on my ZBrush model. This kept the ZBrush vert order the same for what it need and I was able to wrap deform that model with the correct vert order form ZBrush into the final detail version via the blendshape.
    Hami - That is exactly what I am saying. So if I have a base model in Maya and export that to ZBrush, smooth the model 3 times in both apps and then paint away in Zbrush at the highest level of detail then import that back into Maya as a blend shape it wont work.

I have had to take my base Maya model and poly smooth it in Maya 3 times, export that to ZBrush and then paint in all the detail and then export that back into Maya as my blend shape.

If I want to use an in between sub D level between the 2 apps I think I will be in trouble. Again, I'm not sure if I'm missing something somewhere or not?

or not?
    Last edited by nickz; 11-27-05 at 10:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567