Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Painting the belly mask.

Painting the belly mask.

paintingBellyMask_003.jpg

Good night!

NickZ. :P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paintingBellyMask_003.jpg 
Views:	753 
Size:	134.2 KB 
ID:	19215  

Hmm, I never tried to use the Displacemet Map as a Bump Map - But you've got some really nice results here... I had a lot of trouble dealing with Displacements in Maya, no matter what renderer I used.

Thanks for the inspiration Nick, I'll try that out real soon - Might come in handy...

Oh, and: Great work, of course. I'm really interested to see this guy doing his moves, hehe!

Default Updated neck.

Here is an update on the Torosaurs neck.

tortosaur_heads_n_neck_01.jpg

I also built a real shader for the eyes that has refraction. The color map for the eyes still needs to be built.

Hoe everyone enjoys!

NickZ.

Name:	tortosaur_heads_n_neck_01.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	19216  

Nick, This is one of my favorite character models. I like the friendly expression
    on his face. The sculpt and painting are top notch. I keep coming back to him to see where he is going...

Dickie

New Member Follow User Gallery

NickZ... Great work! Most impressive.

Questions: a) what is the ultimate goal with this character? Are you creating an animated short?

b) Have you considered publishing your steps, via tutorials or even a "how to" book? (there are many small press publishers dying to get in the 3d media world!). I (we), would love to learn the concepts of your work flow!

And c) Do you have a web page that we can follow your progress?

Thanks for your replays, and again, great work! (Big fan!)

Default My goals.

Escorpion ,

Right now this character is a test bed for all of the things that I would like to be doing during work hours but don't have time to do. I'm thinking this level of detail in a character could be achievable in games in the next 6 years. I would say we are fairly close right now but it would just be a game with one character on the screen. (not a very fun game!)

A. The ultimate goal for this character is to get him detailed, get him bound, get a rig put on him, get facial blend shapes and corrective shapes and get a walk cycle going with him. (I'm not going to do the animation part.)

B. Yes I have, I don't feel comfortable right now doing that because everything is a learning experience, I think something like that would be possible on the next creature that I do because I have a lot of mistakes or paths that I wouldn't go through the second time around. (For example, the spot I'm in right now, I would like to totally redo all of my UV's for better workflow when painting across two different surfaces. I can make what I have work and that would be a huge job, so I'll just leave it as a "I will know better next time." If the next rev. of ZBrush lets you have multiple maps on a surface that you can paint on at one time then all that work wouldn't really matter any way so..... I'm hoping that comes through.)

C. I'll keep posting to this thread and show progress as soon as I have things updated. I do have a web site www.pinwire.com/nickz the concept section should give you a glimpse of what I might decide to build next. The character that I would like to build is second to last on this pagehttp://www.pinwire.com/nickz/LR_Version_3/html/concept_3.html

Thanks for lookin'

NickZ.

Member Follow User Gallery

F A N T A S T I C

M E R a V I G L I O S O

STUPENDO!!!!!!!

hi nickz, great model!
    what is a belly mask ??? is that a Bump?

Greetz
    Elron

you dont have azscript saved for texturing this? im still having problem understanding how to do it....

Default Belly mask

Elron,

Thanks for the compliment. The belly mask is a mask that I'm painting for the lighter tan color you see under the neck that will extend down to the belly area.

Volk23,

Sorry but I don't have a ZScript for painting this guy. I'm only using ZBrush to paint the first level of displacement, (applied as a Blend shape or morph target.) the over all bump for the entire character, and any masks that I will need to use in PhotoShop. If I could paint in layers and have multiple maps per mesh then I wouldn't need to take these extra steps, but that is a limitation that you just have to work around for now.

Peace,

Nick Z. :P

I really like this character --great modeling job and texture work so far!
    The only part I'm not too sure about is the shell. It doesn't look attached to the rest of him, and rides too high on his back. It doesn't seem to look very practical/functional as is. What do you think about something like a spikey, crusty back like some dinosaurs i've seen? Overall, a great character!

Name:	ankylo.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	18.6 KB 
ID:	19217  

Default Eye shader updates.

Web head,

Thanks for the Critiques/compliments. The reason the shell on his back is so high is for protection from attackers from behind.

I’m envisioning that a Tortosaurs would be very slow moving in nature but very powerful at the same time. If there was a faster more agile attacker from behind his only means of self defense would be his shell on the back. The shell on the front doesn’t need to be so large because if he got his hands on then you would be in for some serious pain!

I like the idea of a spiny or spiky shell for his back, but this version that I’m making is a good Tortosaur, I would like to reserve that look for a nastier evil Tortosaur.

I have an update on the eyes and their shaders. I rebuilt the eye so there is actually an iris, cornea and a pupil that dilates with a blend shape/morph target. I also set up some eye look at constraints so you can move around a locator and the eyes will follow.

eye_shader_no_face_01.jpg

eye_shader_with_face_01.jpg

I also updated the desktop image of the neck and head renders that I posted earlier in this thread to include the new eyes. (Don’t even know if anyone will pick up on the changes but it is now ready for animation.)

I’m also including some of the alphas that I have been making to paint this guys skin textures.

tort_ZBrush_alphas_01.jpg

Peace,

NickZ. P

Name:	eye_shader_no_face_01.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	19218   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eye_shader_with_face_01.jpg 
Views:	669 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	19219   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tort_ZBrush_alphas_01.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	19220  

Default Arm L bump update

Here is an update on the bump map for the Torsosaur Arm.

tort_arm_L_bump_001.jpg
    For some reason I'm not able to get the fix texure seam to work for me. (you can see the problem area arond my wrist and the shoulder area.) ZBrush says it is running the tool and goes through the motions, I tried putting the border bleede to like 50 pixels and that gave me a really bad results. A smaller number like 12 appears to be doing nothing. The map I'm trying to run the tool on is 4096 X 4096. Has anyone else encountered a problem using this tool? Does there need to be any special settings to get this to work correctly?

Peace,

NickZ.

Name:	tort_arm_L_bump_001.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	19221  

triit the edge of tile error with BUMP or DISPLACEMENT ?

Greetz
    Elron

Man, it´s one of the coolest character design I´ve seen in years! amazing!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast