ZBrushCentral

NEWBIE CHALLENGE RETURNS ! #3 Eyes

NEWBIE CHALLENGE #3 EYES

Time to resurrect the Newbie Challenge, methinks. Thanks go to aminuts and Adreseloy for all their previous work, and their on-going help and support. Cheers guys.

There will be a fresh challenge every couple of weeks or so. But it won’t be an aimless meander through the tool palette. Oh no. We, my fellow newbs, are going to teach ourselves the techniques and skills required to create a realistic human head. Or fail miserably. Probably the latter but hey … I’m prepared to let you die trying!

The Eye
Eyes are pretty easy, quick to make and any good ones can be usefully stored away for future projects. I’ve attached a zip file with a three-part set of eye tutorials. Unzip the txt file into your ZScripts folder and load it from within ZBrush 2. The Play buttons will appear at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes ZScripts don’t show all the actions clearly, so I’ll put a few notes below.

The Challenge
Make one (or more) human eyes. Post renders in this thread. Tell us how you did it, if you use a different technique. Feel free to post Zscripts or the finished tool, if you like. No pressure. In the next challenge, we’ll be placing eyes into heads, whilst keeping everything editable!
Tutorial 1. We’ll just colour in some of the polygons using the ‘Colorize Mesh’ option. It’s a handy technique to learn, though pretty rough. The ending isn’t very clear … after painting the mesh, I select the pupil (hiding the rest of the mesh) and mask it (Mask All … this just masks visible parts). I then make everything visible again (Ctrl+Shift+Click away from the model). Then I apply a small Noise deformation (which doesn’t affect the masked pupil). Finally I remove the mask from the pupil (Masking > Clear).

Tutorial 2. I use Projection Master and one of the default textures applied with the roller brush. The script doesn’t make it clear when I’m in Projection Master (PM) … but whenever I’m applying a texture to the eye, I am in PM. Trust me.

You’ll notice the texture gets darker rather than lighter, when I use the Highlighter brush. To do this, hold down the Alt key whilst using the highlighter. Notice, in this script and the third one, how painting over the edge of the eyeball results in streaks and marks.

Tutorial 3. We make our own iris texture first. This is a brilliant opportunity to experiment with the 2D and 2.5D tools. Projection Master isn’t used for this. The texture is made seamless by moving it. On most keyboards, just hold down the tilde (~/#) key and drag. I have a UK keyboard … on mine it’s the ‘at’ (@/’) key. Use the GrabDoc button in the Texture palette to add it to your texture list.

I made all the pupils and irises over large, so things are easier to see. In human eyes, the iris diameter is between 33%-50% of the eyeball diameter.

Good luck! No prizes, just kudos and learnin’.

Attachments

01easy.jpg

Perfect timing. I’m about as newbie as you can get. I’m working on my first head and I’m ready for eyes. Thanks for the tut’s.

Since I’m a relative newb myself, I’m going to participate in the challenges. If that’s ok with you. I found the original Newb challenges really helpful when aminuts and Andreseloy were posting them.

Anyway, here’s a go at eyes, taking rather more care than in the tutorials. I made the iris texture with some really weird combinations of tools and materials, plus some extra work in PM. Spending a bit of extra time on the blood vessels is definitely worth it (used a pen rather than a mouse for that part).
eyeblueZBC.jpg

Colors look good… however… the texture should ‘radiate,’ for lack of a better word… from the pupil into the iris. Take a look at your own eyes, and pay close attention. Try to accomplish what you see…

Oh my I haven’t done this is years!
Though I would show you all how I do it though this is more of me trying to remember then anything else.

[eyeball.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘17446’,‘eyeball.jpg’,1,0))

Oh cool … hey everyone … meet MtB. This guy creates the most amazing art work, so pay very special attention. Yay!

Thanks to Thrawn and Blaine91555 for feedback.

And since it’s always a good idea to have some photographic resources (Thrawn made a good point … we all know what eyes look like, but it’s a revelation when you actually really look at them … I mean really look) : I done a bit of net hoovering for us.
[attach=17448]eye_examples.jpg[/attach]

Attachments

eye_examples.jpg

Be sure to include some ‘impurities.’

Everything will look great! And far more realistic too!

perfect, wanted to learn this, thanks

Excelentes tutoriales. Gracias Moochie.:+1:

Guys You Are Just Makİng My Day. Thanks

I love making eyes. Recently I created some custom eye alphas. I used them in this image utilizing Projection Master. A little tweaking and rotating and it’s easy enough to get a nice amount of variation. Two materials are used here. One for the eyeball and one for the cornea/retina/pupil area. I’ll will see if I can’t get my eye alphas to a manageable file size that will still hold the detail and then I will post them.
Eyes.jpg

Attachments

Pupil.jpg

Iris.jpg

Cornea.jpg

Outer-Shadow.jpg

Very cool Lonnie!
Me likes alot. Especially the double material usage!

Made another script. Tried to apply the variants.
Pupil is too tny but stuff like that can be fixed easy enough.

[eyeball2.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘17469’,‘eyeball2.jpg’,1,0))

cool Mentat7,

am wondering if you have tried an environmental render and how well reflections show up. am gonna have to play with it but was just wondering.

cool challenge Moochie…rock on!

tut.jpg

The iris I’m posting below is a small file - not much rez - but it still gives an idea.

Attachments

iris3.jpg

Beatiful eyes!!!

See you soon.HHH:cool:

Way to go, everyone! Some fantastic resources being posted here. Thank you!

I’m still working on that one. I plan to animate it :sunglasses:
[eye.jpg]
LemonNado

Thanks Moochie

Andreseloy

Excellent idea lemonado.
I am curious about the animation.
Best luck.

Here’s a memorial render to one of my lost iris maps.
I spent hours to paint, and this render is all I have as a prove.
eye.jpg