ZBrushCentral

Adding depth to a painting using the plane 3D tool: little tip

From my notebook of experiments:
Please excuse the grim image.

plane.jpg

A neat little trick when wishing to add more controllable areas of 3d to your 2.5d paintings is to implement the 3D plane tool rather than using some of the 2.5d tools.

Adding areas of z depth as I worked was done using the plane 3d tool set to a higher v and h divide level (initialize within the tool settings), > mesh edited to the form I required and then moved back into the canvas’s zdepth to only reveal the reliefed surface - this is then moved into position, sized etc and switched to zadd only before finally applying to the canvas.

The painting underneath will act as your guide to how you edit the mesh of the 3D plane tool.

Hope this is of interest to those of you new to ZBrush .

1 Like

thanks for the trick boozy:+1:

cool tip Boozy

don’t know how I missed this thread dohhhhhh.

am gonna have to experiment this weekend as it gives me an idear or two.

Thanks!!

haha oh yeah and thanks for the memory lane trip…the adding of lips reminded me of the old Clutch Cargo cartoons!:smiley:

new to ZBrush
:smiley: but I miss something in the explanation !
You modelize your plan 3D out the figure and you simply repast it on the model ?
or you “grabb” a part of the figure and how do you past-it on the plan 3D ???
or …
I am missing something…
I am entierely in the fog! :rolleyes:
A complet little schema will be fine :slight_smile:
Pilou

post a zscript
no one knows what your saying :confused:

Hopefully this doodle will illuminate the simplicity of the technique.

…for more control and feedback you could use a marker to record the position of the 3dplane create a blank texture then use 3DCopy to transfer the image of the painting onto the 3DPlane and begin to edit that. Once completed redraw the 3DPlane back onto the canvas using the marker then sink it furthur back into the z direction of the canvas interactively using the tilde key.