ZBrushCentral

New ZPlugins : SubDStroke & Mask2Group

SubDS_grab.jpg

SubDStroke provides an easy way to partially subdivide a model.

Partial subdivision can be useful if you want to add detail to some parts of your model while keeping the overall poly count low.

:large_orange_diamond: Press the button immediately after drawing a stroke on a polymesh in Edit mode and the stroke will be subdivided. Pressing the button again will further subdivide the stroke.

:large_orange_diamond: If Ctrl+drag was used to paint a masking stroke then the whole masked area (including any previous masking strokes) will be subdivided. Only one level of subdivision is possible with this method.

Note: the SubDStroke button must be pressed IMMEDIATELY after making a stroke. If the model has been rotated, scaled or moved the subdivision will not work. (This is because ZBrush regards any mouse movement on the canvas as a stroke.)

:large_orange_diamond: SHIFT-click the SubDStroke button to UNDO the partial subdivision. This must be done before the model has been modified further.

INSTALLATION

Unzip the zip file to your ZStartup\ZPlugs folder …\ZBrush2\ZStartUp\ZPlugs). The plugin file SubDStroke.zsc and the folder SubD_data should both be in the main ZPlugs folder. You may need to create the ZPlugs folder if you have a new installation of ZBrush.

Restart ZBrush. You should now have a SubDStroke button in the MarcusTools subpalette of the ZPlugin palette. You may Ctrl+drag the button to a suitable place on your interface and save the position by storing the UI configuration (Ctrl+Shift+I).

Updated August 18 2005
Again … I hope I have now fixed the feature whereby some strokes were not being subdivided. You should be able to use any sort of stroke, including ones modified by Ctrl, Shift or Alt.

Mask2Group plugin added
Lemonnado suggested that a button to make a polygroup of a masked area would be useful, so I have added a plugin for that too. Just unzip to your ZPlugs folder as above. Press the button after masking part of a polymesh and the masked area will be made into a group.

I hope you find SubDStroke & Mask2Group useful.

WOW! That looks really cool and usefull.

Pretty Cool … Thanx Marcus.

Dan

Thanks for the plugin Marcus. I think what you’ve come up with is probably a good way to implement it given what z-brush exposes. Your timing is good too, because I’m starting to get a better feel for zb modelling and use it more.

Really Slick :+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1: Great little tool, thanks buddy this should make alot of people happy.

Hmmm it installed fine … and i followed the directions (i was using a poly 3d sphere) and I stroke the sphere … I immed. hit the button … I get a subdived completed messege but all that happens is that my stroke goes away like it was erased :frowning:

Did i find a bug ?

Dan

hey dan, not sure as I haven’t tested it yet but you might have to turn your primitive into a polymesh first.

Thnx for the reply … Yea i did … the plug actually gives ya a messege if its not a poly mesh (I did try it as a primitive 1st) … so i converted to polymesh and gave it a whirl so far it just erases my stoke … not sure if im doing something wrong or if its one of those case specific bug kinda things :confused:

Looks like another great plugin here…:+1:

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Dan,
I’m sorry it’s not working for you. I need to find out exactly what’s happening to see the problem so would you record a short zscript and send it to me (at the email address in the readme file)? Just load up a polymesh and make a stroke on it; that should be enough. Also, are you on PC or Mac?

Many thanks.

Same thing happened to me, I draw a stroke, press the button and nothing happens.

I then tried Control Key Dragging a mask of my model which did work. I then tried brushing a mask on with the Control Key down and as I figured that worked as well.

So… I don’t know if it is by design or not but it looks like the trick is to create a mask of the area you want to subdivide and then everything smells like roses.

Thanks again Marcus

Hmm, you should be able to use either method. But Ctrl+dragging a mask is subdivided by the script in a different way (and obviously a more reliable one).

I can’t actually reproduce the problem which doesn’t help finding a solution. :frowning:
I am taking another look at the script though and tightening things here and there so hopefully I shall solve it.

Will do :slight_smile: … im at work right now but will do it when i get home :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Marcus,

Here is the script showing the “erase behavior”.

The tool is in the folder as well (just a poly 3D sphere)

Dan

Any idea why I’m not getting a “SubD Data” folder to unzip?

Dan,
Many thanks for your trouble. I hope that the update now fixes this problem. If not please let me know.

kenkc,
There is nothing in the SubD_data folder when the plugin is first installed; it just needs it to store data that it writes during operation. The zip should contain the readme text file, the SubDStroke.zsc and the empty SubD_data folder. To install the plugin put the .zsc file and the SubD_data folder in your ZStartup\ZPlugs folder. If you have a new installation of ZB you may need to create the ZPlugs folder. If for some reason your unzip program does not create the empty SubD_data folder then simply create one in the ZPlugs folder. Make sure it is named exactly (including underscore) : SubD_data .

Any problems, please let me know.

Got it installed.Thanks for your help,Marcus!

Hey Marcus,

All is working with standard strokes and ctrl-strokes.

I still get the erase behavior if i stroke with shift and alt.

… (the shift and alt stokes dont seem to matter all that much cause im not sure what value partial sub d has with those strokes anyway … unless of course im just missing the ideas/experience as to what value partial sub D would have on those strokes)

Its cool to be able to use a masking stroke to apply partial subdivide. :cool:

Dan

kenkc,
I’m glad you got it installed. I’ll include a file in zipped folders in future to avoid problems. Thanks for the pointer on that.

Dan,
The masking stroke is probably the most useful - remember that if you do several masking strokes to build up a mask as long as you press the SubDStroke button after the last masking stroke you make ALL of the strokes will be subdivided.

Perhaps, as you say, not many people will use the other strokes. But for the sake of completeness I’d like to get them working if I can. I’ve posted a new update. If you’ve a moment I’d appreciate your feedback on that. :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Okie Dokie :slight_smile: … just tried Rev C and all strokes be workin’ !!

Marcus.jpg

… and a “little something” to celebrate with … (attached)

Dan