ZBrushCentral

ZScript Utility: Alpha Library Browser for Detailing Characters: ZBrush Alpha Library

[attach=15326]browserWindow.jpg[/attach]

Welcome to ZBrush’s Gnomon Alpha Library Browser. This ZScript utility works exclusively with the alpha library set: ZBrush Alpha Library from Aaron Sims and the Gnomon Workshop.

:large_orange_diamond: :large_orange_diamond: Visit this thread to read what Aaron Sims has to say about his new alpha library.
:large_orange_diamond: :large_orange_diamond: Click herefor the Detailing Characters: ZBrush Alpha Library DVDs.

Installing The Gnomon Alpha Library Browser

:large_orange_diamond: Click here for to Download The Gnomon Alpha Library Browser rev B.
:large_orange_diamond: Extract the zip file and move the contents to the alpha_brushes folder containing the folders: Bumpy_Skin, Leathery_Skin, Scaly_Skin.
:large_orange_diamond: Launch ZBrush

July 27th, 2005: Version A released
August 25th, 2005: Version B released

Using The Gnomon Alpha Library Browser

:large_orange_diamond: In the ZScript palette press Load. Navigate to where the ZScript is and press enter.

If everything was executed properly, a new Gnomon Alpha Library button will be added to the ZPlugin palette.

:large_orange_diamond: Open the ZPlug-in palette and press the button named Gnomon Alpha Library.
:large_orange_diamond: Click the thumbnail to load the alpha into your Alpha palette
:large_orange_diamond: Click the zoom icon to view the alpha in the Viewer Window.
:large_orange_diamond: Use the page numbers to see the rest of the alpha library! :slight_smile:

:small_blue_diamond: :small_blue_diamond: Updated on August 25th to account for naming convention for shipped DVDs. Revision B will work with alphas directly from the DVD without renaming. :small_blue_diamond: :small_blue_diamond:

Enjoy!
thumb.jpg

Attachments

browserWindow.jpg

wow! thank you!!!:smiley: straight from gnomon!!!:lol:

:Dnice im going to install it

oh my God !!! i love you Gnomon !

Ryan thanks again friend :+1:

Thanks Ryan!

Thats DEFINITIVELY what I was looking for!

Thanks!!!

So we would have to purchase the Gnome Library first to use this, am I correct?

Does this script only work with the Gnomon alphas on the Gnomon DVD or can it be used with any set of alphas? If it is proprietary to the Gnomon set then I don’t see any real reason to use it if one does not have the DVD (of course I have the DVD on order :smiley: )

Hello -

This ZScript utility works exclusively with the Gnomon Alpha Library so you would have to have that library first to make this useful. :slight_smile:

Enjoy,

Ryan

thanks to everyone who was involved in this. look forward to testing the alphas out!

Yes, it looks I forgot to get one DVD yesterday that I should have.

ryankingslien, Will this script be updated in the future so we can add our own Alphas to the browser?

This is the first time that I am aware of that someone ha made a Zscript that is restricted to buying another product to use it.

Hi all…

Just wanted to say a big thanks to Ofer, Ryan and Jaime for producing this super useful script. Very cool and much appreciated.

Can’t wait to see the demos at the Pixologic booth!

-Alex

This looks like a very handy utility. :+1:

As it has been released here rather than the Gnomon site I presume there’s no particular reason why you shouldn’t use it with your own alphas? As Aaron’s tutorial shows you how to make your own alphas I imagine there’s a ‘save your own’ version in the pipeline. In the meantime, and while you’re waiting for your DVD, you can try out the browser like this:

1. Create a folder named AlphaBrowser. Place the AlphaBrowser.zsc inside and create three subfolders named Bumpy Skin, Leathery Skin and Scaly Skin.

2. Save your own alphas, either from ZBrush or Photoshop, naming them like this:

Bumpy Skin folder contains alphas named Bumpy Skin1.psd thru Bumpy Skin22.psd

Leathery Skin folder contains alphas named Leathery Skin1.psd thru Leathery Skin101.psd

Scaly Skin folder contains alphas named Scaly Skin_1.psd thru Scaly Skin_35.psd

Thanks for the tip marcus. :smiley:

Ok. Not sure what is wrong. I followed the instructions (simple enough) but when I try to run the script and plugin I get this:

error1.JPG

It is not autoloading the alphas (is it supposed to?) and when I click on the button to do it manually it gives me an error (can’t find the item).

???

Attachments

dir.JPG

names.JPG

I think that might be what you have to do

In the ZScript palette press Load. Navigate to where the ZScript is and press enter.

If everything was executed properly, a new Gnomon Alpha Library button will be added to the ZPlugin palette.

Open the ZPlug-in palette and press the button named Gnomon Alpha Library.
Click the thumbnail to load the alpha into your Alpha palette
Click the zoom icon to view the alpha in the Viewer Window.
Use the page numbers to see the rest of the alpha library!

Then again maybe not?

Your folders shouldn’t have the underscore. Just name them ‘Bumpy Skin’ etc. with a space. Likewise, the file names, except for the Scaly Skin ones which SHOULD have the underscore before the number thus: Scaly Skin_1.psd .

I copied the files directly from the Gnomon DVD. They ALL have underscores. I am not going to manually rename them just to get them to work with this thing. There are 157 alpha files in those folders!!! It would have been nice had there been a clearer explanation of what had to be done beforehand to get this to actually work.

Let me explain once again:

I copied the Gnomon alpha folder from the Gnomon DVD to my alpah folder in my ZB directory. I followed the steps outlined by the script installation instructions. It doesn’t work. All the alphas have underscores. All three folders have underscores. That is the way they were on the DVD.

Mentat, he said the .psd’s should have the underscores. It’s only the 3 file folders you need to rename I believe.

And if I am wrong there is a Zscript somewhere in here that batch renames files all in one stroke. So it’s not going to be that big of a deal no matter what the case turns out to be. Good luck.

But really I think all you need to do is remove the underscore from the 3 folders.

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were trying out the script as per my instructions. If you’ve done as per Ryan’s instructions then it looks as though the script doesn’t work as it should. :frowning:

Try renaming the folders. The Scaly Skin alphas will work at least.

I wrote a zscript a while back for renaming files. If I can adapt it for this I’ll post it. With Siggraph on, it will be a while before Pixologic update the zscript.