Demon Bust for Normal Map
EDIT: Here's a thumbnail for the latest set of pictures posted. This is so that you don't have to scroll all the way down to see if I posted any progress or not.
Latest update: (Extract)
Hello all! This is my first post here, and hopefully not the last!!
I started using Zbrush a couple months ago, and I’m starting to get somewhere with it now, thanks to practice and a few tips & tricks Julio C. Espada’s taught me. (Thanks, man!)
Anyway, this is going to be a low-poly demon bust model using a normal map taken from this high-poly version. This is a WIP model, so please feel free to critique and comment as much as you like!
After I finish the high-poly model, (going to make the chest and neck stronger) I’ll make the low-poly version, normal-map it, and paint it. Hope I can finish it soon!!
Please tell me what you think!
Also, I just uploaded my new website, so, if you can, go check it out and tell me what you think, ok? (Doesn’t work well in Mozilla, though) You can find it here. There's lots of other stuff there, mostly game art.
Last edited by Calzoncillos; 08-02-05 at 02:09 PM.
A very scary demon model. such a great piece. I love the detials you put int he mouth area..really wonderful to say the least..
Awesome! I like the peeled back lips look. Also, the horns have a nice amount of detail to them.
Hello again! Here's 2 more images. First, the "finished" high-poly model. (Keep in mind that I'm modelling a bust, not a complete body, and, since I'm gonna be normal-mapping it on a low-poly mesh, I don't need anything else)
And this is the low-poly frame I'm gonna normal-map it onto:
The low-poly model was done in MAX. Is it ok to post this kind of stuff in this forum? I know it's not Zbrush, but I'm a game modeller, and I use Zbrush for the high-poly models and MAX for the low-poly ones, so...
Anyway, there's still time for little changes, so please C&C away!
Nice modelling he looks like a very bad guy8)
Maaaaan!! I'm away for a few days, and I find my thread in page 3 or 4!! Can't lower my guard, can I?
Anyway, thanks, sijen, he is supposed to be a very bad guy, hehe. (Well, or at least, the bust part of a very bad demon guy)
Anyway, I started texturing him, (6-7 hours in Photoshop CS so far) and it was kinda hard at first, as I'm used to painting low-poly models for games, and painting high-poly model textures is kinda different. But I think I'm getting there after the second painting session. Actually, I'll let you decide that, hehe.
Ok, so here are a couple images of the texturing progress. Not finished yet, so critique away, please!
Thanks for watching!
Ok, I think I found the final horns at last!! Had a good laugh looking at the first ones when I had these. The other ones looked funny and kinda pointless. I hope you like these ones the best too:
Other than that, I added pores and bumps. Not so happy with them, dunno how people can make them look so realistic. The ones I painted on just look weird and not realistic. I guess I should study the pores in the face a little more, as opposed to improvising them.
I'm almost done with the texture. It's taking more than I thought. I really wanna finish it by tomorrow, so we'll see how much I can get done before then.
And, for the first time, (didn't look so great before, hehe) here's part of the colour map. (I removed the rest as it doesn't have much detail on it yet) I forgot about the normal and specular ones, but I'll show them tomorrow.
As always, please comment away!
Hello all! Here's the finished demon bust at last! The last couple of days were quite hectic, working until very late, in order to finish this by today. (I'm going on holidays tomorrow)
Some info: Simple base mesh done in MAX 7, taken into Zbrush 2 for shaping and detailing, (~1500000 polys) then taken back into MAX, where I built a low-poly mesh (1928 polys) over it. Unwrapped it in MAX and baked the normal-map onto it, using the massive-poly mesh from Zbrush. Then it was Photoshop CS's turn, where I painted the colour map, created the specular map, (from the colour one) and modified (quite a lot) the normal map. Rendered in MAX, using the scanline rendering engine with a simple 3 lights setup. (Actually, the intense light from behind is achieved using 3 lights, not just one)
Anyway, here are some of the final images!
You can see more images at my website: http://www.spinal-art.com.
Hope you like it!