ZBrushCentral

Gargoyle Dog - Challange

Hey,

i have been working on a this gargoyle dog for a while now, it started out as a learning experience on silo, i originally wanted to add lots of detail in zbrush
but it seems i dont have the time these days.

so lets see who can make him purrty, i am posting the .obj for him. any change you make (mesh/texture/whatever) you will have to post the source files for the work itself and not just a picture of it, to let other learn from your experience.

http://photos15.flickr.com/21456369_5f430cac9b_b.jpg

My Blog

hmm, no takers on the challenge ?
is it that bad of a model or something… if you dont like it for some reason just let me know i am allways open for c&c.
<i hope someone posts back :)>

your model is cool, but the thing is I think people lack of time because they have there own project… I would like to work on it but I already have 3 stuff waiting for my graphic pen!

And it’s summer. A lot of vacation going on!
Cheers
LemonNado

Hey man…Ill make something of it by tonight GMT-8 Unless this pinched nerve in my shoulder doesnt go away, its so bad my arm is numb :cry:

I think I figured out why people arent posting…ur dog has creasing issuses. big ones under his eyebrows and chin and some around his body. They arent simple to smooth out either cuz they are super deep. I have to go to work so I only worked on it for 10 minutes but at least there will be SOMETHING here. I didnt do much yet

garg.jpg

I played with it for 5 minutes and sort of gave up as there are plenty of holes after subdividing. I’m not so advanced that I can fix the base geometry… So I have to leave your doggie alone for a while… ZB also reported that the models has plenty of N-Gons which were converted to quads and tri’s… Probably the reason for the weird geometry.

Cheers
LemonNado

i thought i fixed the holes thing, i’ll try to fix the n-gons issue aswell
i like it how he looks all bronze like and a bit more defined, thanks for doing this you guys.
in the future i’ll do a bit more models and post them here :slight_smile:

p.s i am also putting this picture on my blog, cheers !

Edit: blog updated @ http://2nd2non.blogspot.com
thanks again.

Great model. Hope you don’t mind - here’s an all-quad version (just under 7900 polys). All I did was divide the mesh once in Silo - that will often get rid of n-gons. Then import into ZB and save as a tool (which is less than half the size of the obj).

gargoyle2.jpg

i dont mind at all, i all in when it comes to sharing.
awesome model, i realy like it. this has to go in my blog :slight_smile:
if you dont mind sharing the finished zbrush tool with us i’ll appreciate it.

thanks again :slight_smile:

Cool model to begin with!

I am fixing it up in XSI right now. I guess I have to procure a Silo license anyways. Seems to be a must ;-).
LemonNado

thanks lemonade, if you are still fixing the model in xsi you dont realy have to. if you look a few lines up there is a zip file posted with a new ztool that has no holes or ngons.

Hey Marcus, great render and great design of Illustrate :+1:

The original ZTool for this weighs in at 10MB (at the lowest subdiv level), so even zipped it’s too large but here is a compromise which will at least show some detail and also a little about displacement maps.

You MUST follow these instructions otherwise the thing will foul up. Unzip the file and then load the GargoyleDisp.txt file using the ZScript>Load button. Play the zscript and it will load the model and apply the displacement map. To see how to apply a displacement map in ZBrush watch the zscript with Show Actions switched on. The quality is not great because I have used a jpg for the disp map so as to keep file sizes as small as possible. (Normally you would use a 16 bit tiff or psd file.) Also you may notice that GUV tiles texturing is applied to the model - I discovered after doing the displacement that mapping with GUV tiles increases the ZTool size. Also, managed to leave out the eyes: sorry. :o

The detailing of the model was all done in Edit mode, not Projection Master. It was very quick, no more than 15 minutes. After dividing the mesh a few times, I converted a couple of alphas to stencils and with Stencil>Wrap Mode on ran over the model with the Standard and Inflate brushes. If you’ve enough polys to hold the detail you can do alot that way.

In the image above I used Jantim’s plasterstone material and an adapted version of the ColorizeGlow.

awesome, i’ll go try it. i hope everyone benefits from this as much as i did :slight_smile:

warpy! Good job on this modeling, I like it!

Thanks for sharing this script & materials! Great job!

hey guys, sorry I havent updated like I said…Im kinda embaressed that you put that half baked model of mine on ur blog, marcus did a nice one u can replace it with :slight_smile: I should be able to get around to it soon. My idea is quite different than marcus’s just as a sneak peak…I intend to keep the skin relatively smooth but give him some serious tendons and muscle definition and make him look kinda grose. Similar to the style on my models in this thread…

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=27050

no worries i plan to put both :slight_smile:

Edit : DONE, its at http://2nd2non.blogspot.com