ZBrushCentral

tutorial : creating and texturing phototexture

Anyone interested in step by step tutorial? :smiley:

very gruesome, very real. is it an alpha or did you model all that? reminds me of the mummy. Is he going to have eyes?

I’d be interested in the process. :+1:

i sure would…a script…something. this is increadible. is the amazing detail on the face an alpha or actual modeling? whatever you did, you did it perfect…this is going to be an awesome pic when you’re done. please hurry, i can’t wait to see this masterpiece!

josh

(Edit) - wow, in the time it took me to write my post, two other people had already replied. i’m sure you’ll get many more comments, levius.

count me in.

i would like a step by step tutorial a lot.

great job!!!

Chris

me tooooooooo!!!

I am really happy you are intereted in it :smiley:
I am working on it right now here are first 4 parts…

PART 1 :

Sculpt model you want and find sutable photo you want to texture, for beast I recomend photo anatomies and animals photos, for people, hmm maybe people photos? :D. Scan (or download from internet)the image, it is best if you can have foto from front and profile but in this case I got only this halfprofile picture…

PART 2 :

Load great Texture Master Zscript, create texture with big resolution (1204x768 or bigger), rotate object so it is in the same angle as an photo, in most cases it is front… Its good idea to draw some help lines on this texture, like eyes, nose holes and mounth on my picture.
DROP and PICK SHADED in texture master and save this texture as an skin.psd…

PART 3 :

Load this skin PSD in photoshop (I am usimg photopaint)and set it in back layer. Load photo of skin on next layer and try to position it so it match back layer… (set transparency on this layer for positioning)

Sometimes (like in this case)photo doesnt match background at all. You got to crop parts of texture and position/scale each so it match background, I got about 10 layers :slight_smile:

PART 4 : finish texture in photoshop and save it, import it in ZBrush and use for your object. We are almost done, but we need to repair some stretchings that occured…

PART 5:

Create texture you want to place on stretched place (this way you can ad any details or part of texture). Import this texture. Use Texture Master, rotate object so you see the place you want to repair, click drop, create circle or plain, texture/move/scale it and then drop… repeat with diferent textures and places till you are satisfied, then retouch in pohotoshop a little so its seamles… (Use clone brush a lot in STEP 3 too)

PART : 6

Create some nice material, most important thing is to set color bump for negative number (darker = deeper) And you are done :smiley:

Please write me if you have some questions and check http://www.fineart.sk for some head photos from front and side…

You know, thats pretty damn horrible in the nicest possible way. Evil looking dude as well.

Nice tutorial Peter.

G

Great tutorial, and some information that could be applied to many types of texturing from the ‘Real World’! :+1: :sunglasses: :+1:

levius, to find out how to properly map a head took me about two years, altogether. you just taught me all that (and even MORE) withing 10 minutes … PLUS the technique to do it almost entirely in Z.
i guess you could even do it entirely in z, with some mrgbz grabbing and filling a layer, then painting on it, no need for photoshop even :slight_smile:

i dont remember who i’m quoting here, but: BLOODY BRILLIANT, thanks a LOT!

I am not into modeling, but I can see where it could be very useful.

Me, too!

Great stuff levius
Where were you when someone asked for a Britany Spheres lookalike picture!
Neat tutorial bud!
Upham :slight_smile:

just wondering …

i played with various tools and settings for a while now but couldn’t figure … isn’t ther a way to interactively rub a texture on your mesh with incremental strokes? i think i saw that done in a tutorial, but i’m not too sure.
i mean, i’m neither talking of using a texture as a brush and painting with the rectangualar texture, nor of using the rectangle draw mode to, umm, size it onto an area, i may be talking about some mysterious mix of dropping, mrgbz grabbing and 3d copying, that works a tad different from texturemaster (?) …

hope i could make myself clear (?)

and levius, how the heck did you get that incredible impression of depth and volume with a relatively simple texture? is it really only marvelous texturing and some materials, or did you deform the mesh accordingly too?
i must have looked at that head at least 20 times know, and am still impressed.