ZBrushCentral

Suitability of ZBrush for organic sculptures to be CNC carved

I’m new to zbrush but stumbled across the site while searching for a 3d tool that would be suitable for producing 3d models from which to create ceramic tile molds.

We have CAM software that can take 3d models such as 3ds, dxf and stl formats and we can generate the code that will allow us to feed to our CNC machine and thus make an actual model of the drawing.

For us, our work is really a blend between full 3d and 2.5d in that we have high reliefs but the back is always just a flat plane (the back of the tile).

We have evaluated other 3d tools but they all seem weak in their ability to add a lot of the really organic details. ZBrush’s discussion of hand carving tools and some of the models I found posted gave me hope that ZBrush might be able to do what we need.

I have two questions: 1) Would Zbrush be a good tool for this? and 2) If so, I would be interested in finding someone that is skilled in it’s use for hire to create a sample model for us so that we could actually try out such a project.

I’m including a photo of a typical design that we’d like to create digitally. The attached photo shows a model that was actually carved from clay but there are big advantages to us if we can create these digitally, instead of from actual clay (ability to resize, etc.).

Any feedback Zbrush users could provide would be very much appreciated. Carrot.jpg

Jeff Russell
Vision Ceramics
jrussell@visionceramics.com

Hello jrussellred, welcome to the community, someone posted something similar awhile back - trying to do it.

It really isn’t that hard, I have had several models made into toys for my desk through a couple of processes - for characters I have created for shows. What you want is in essence simpler, but can be quite detailed.

If your software can take an OBJ or DXF created from an OBJ you should have no trouble at all.

If you want, you can get in touch with me directly through the email link attached to my name here

ZBrush 2 is really a wonderful software and certainly you can make almost everything with it¡
Here is a test model not reworked from your image…
You are looking for a model similar to your photo?

Thanks for your attention
Andreseloy

Attachments

Carrot ZB test.jpg

Is the picture you attached a model of the image I attached? If so I’m amazed that you could create it so quickly!

The image you attached is very close to what we’d want except that the carrots would need to be better defined and a higher relief.

We have need for two things - at times we want to pretty closely reproduce a design we have or have seen and at other times we want to create entirely new models (which would allow the artist a lot of creativity). With new work we try and define what we’re looking for and then let the artist take over and drive the project.

If you’d be interested in possibly doing some work like this I would be interested in talking with you.

Jeff

here’s my try , and a side profile
[alphatest.jpg](javascript:zb_insimg(‘6000’,‘alphatest.jpg’,1,0))

Is a model make from your image…ZB is amazing you can do everything¡¡¡
To me is the best program¡
This one is a quick test in perspective and some color¡
Andreseloy

Attachments

carrot oo.jpg

This could be very useful to you…

How to make normal maps (and displacement maps) from photographs…

http://www.zarria.net/

I looked at the link you provided and the wood carving is very similar to some of the stuff we do.

To ask a newbie question it seems that the inference to be drawn from this is that this displacement map could then be used in Zbrush to create the model? Is this right?

Thanks,
Jeff

You: “To ask a newbie question it seems that the inference to be drawn from this is that this displacement map could then be used in Zbrush to create the model? Is this right?”

Yes - Zbrush or any package that supports displacement to geometry.

You could then take the geometry to a 3dprinter and have a hard copy made for a mold etc…

1.-RyanClark have a smart method that Jeff right now mentioned¡
2.-Specially ZB can pick up both the alpha and the texture from any photo.
3.-Here is the process one of the way ZB to make a carrot model

Thanks for your attention

Andreseloy

Attachments

ZTimeLapseImage Carrot Model.jpg

I could not resist in turning your design into an old coin…using the " make 3D from Alpha" function in Zbrush !

metal carrot.jpg

jantim

Carrot Scene Jeff.jpg

Andreseloy

You can always tell how good a software package is by how active the community around it is - ZBrush must be a winner because it’s community is unbelievable. All of the samples so far have been incredible. As we move forward with this project I’ll post back and hopefully have some real world products to show as the end result.

One thing to note is that to get good detail, models would probably need to have quite alot of polygons. The question would then be, can your CAM software deal with that, or is it also able to generate the data using displacement maps.

If you are still looking for someone to put something together for you to try, then I’d be happy to give it a try. This would be the nearest thing I have done to what you seem to want (this was done in a previous version that wasn’t able to generate anywhere near the detail of the current one).

We want more!!!

Attachments

rabits.jpg

Very cool.

Makes me want to go get a salad!

Jeff:

Here is a sample render in .stl file format of a mesh generated in ZBrush and exported to Rhino 3d for conversion to .stl format. I started with some simple detail to see how the workflow would progress. Much more detail can be added.

The two tiles are 8 in. square and 4 in. square and 3/8 in. thick in real world dimensions. I rescaled the 8 in tile to get the 4 in tile in about .005 seconds.

ZBrush and Rhino are a value packed combo.

Email me back and we can talk.

Cheers. Final Tile Render.jpg

Very nice. I’m just fixing to step out for a while and will contact you later today and we’ll see if we can’t get the samples and see if we can carve them (I’m pretty sure we can).

Just as a reference point how long did it take to create the samples?

I agree. Rhinocam and ZBrush are a very powerful combo. I have had Rhino and Rhinocam for 6 years. I had learned a few tricks to do organic objects in Rhino, any model in Rhinocam will carve great. I think the real question here is not the suitabilty of ZBrush for CNC work; rather, the suitability of any other software for creating organic objects to CNC. I am still very new to zbrush, but plan on investing a great deal of energy to learning this software. With ZBrush, the only limit to what I can carve is now my creativity. Here is an image of one of my products. I used ZBrush to sculpt the Wolf head, and imported it to Rhino as an OBJ file.
3.jpg

Couple more pics. This item measures 12" x 15" x 1.5" in the real world. The skull and arms were made in ZBrush, and imported to Rhino for carving.