ZBrushCentral

HELP: autosave / autoload LIGHTSETUP

Anyone:

Lately I’ve run up against a serious roadblock to a script I’m writing.

What I need from someone is try out this simple test script and tell me if it crashes ZB2 for them, too.

If so, I’m wondering if anyone can explain what causes the problem. Is it the code? Is there other code I should be using?

To make things more complicated, I’ve found that it crashes ZB2 consistantly IF IT IS THE FIRST SCRIPT RUN AFTER OPENING ZB2. Otherwise, once ZB2 has been up and running for a while, and I’ve loaded other scripts first, running this little test script will only SOMETIMES crash ZB2.

Is this just me or can someone else duplicate the problem?

Here’s the test script (run right after starting ZB2 and press Save Light):

// Light save and load test - Svengali

[VarDef,SourceLight,“testlight.zli”]

[IButton,“save light”,“put”,
[FileNameSetNext,SourceLight]
[IKeyPress,13,[IPress,LIGHT:Save]]
]

[IButton,“load light”,“get”,
[FileNameSetNext,SourceLight]
[IKeyPress,13,[IPress,LIGHT:Load]]
]

Thanks for any feedback, Sven

p.s. What the script buttons do is automatically save the current light setup to a predesignated file, then reload it.

[edit]
Here’s the txt file…

Sorry Sven,
your script never crash my Z2 and works well…
I can suggest some things:

• defragment the ZBrush.exe file
  • delete the virtual mem file of Z
  • try to not load plug-ins

Thanks for your time.

cameyo

Thank you Cameyo,

Your test is a big help. Your suggestions maybe as well! Maybe something in my setup is causing this. the Windows error report is some kind of “exception”.

If I track down the problem (and I almost have to) I will post what I find.

:+1: Sven

Hi Sven,

I had no problems either. I did notice that the light file is the same extension as the ZoneAlarm MailSafe file.

Marcus

Hi Mark,

I thought at one point that it might involve my ZoneAlarm firewall but, disabled, I have the same problem. I also disabled McAfee. No luck. Thanks, though for doing the test.

Hi Cameyo,

OK, here’s a partial list of what I tried:

• Disabled all my custom ZPlugs
  • Deleted temp memory file
  • Disabled CustomUI file
  • Reinstalled ZB2
  • Tested script with 1.55b (the test program works no problem and no crash!)
  • Tried variations in the script - still crashes.

But here’s something strange…
If, after starting up ZBrush2, I first manually save a default light setup by using the drop-down LIGHT/Save menu option, and I then run my test light script… it works, no crash! Something is getting set internally in ZBrush that corrects whatever causes the problem. :rolleyes:

It may have to do with one of the processes I have running in background, or some corrupt .dll in windows related to save operations…

Frankly, I’m stumped. The ZScript I am working on requires that I temporarily save the current light settings to a temp file so I can restore them later. But with this “save problem” I’m dead in the water.

As of now, I’ll just move on to other stuff and hope that Pixologic has some brilliant insight that nails my problem and allows me finish my script.

Thanks again for listening, Sven

p.s. As always, If I ever solve it, I’ll pass along any insight.

No problems here either. I tested it on a fairly new Zbrush installation with no additional plugins installed.

You might try using an explicit directory instead of just the filename.

I did a totally clean install of ZBrush in a separate directory. The test Light script works. This means my problem is with something I did to the original installation. Now it’s just a matter of isolating the problem.

I’m much happier now than I was last night and this morning :smiley:

Thanks everyone for your feedback - it helped. I needed to know if it was just me, and it was. :o

Sven :+1: