Default Is this the right software for me?

Hi, I am wondering if any of you can advise me.

I design scale model kits, mainly period ships (like Victory). I have the laser cutting and photo etch side sorted out, but am wondering about the decorative aspect. These models have decoration/carvings, usually a figurehead and elaborate stern decoration, which are usually carved (for the master) by an expert, and are then used to make the production parts.

I am toying with the idea about using a 3-D printer, as it will save money in the long run. However, I have only ever used 2-D software. Would this program allow me to draw the elaborate carvings for printing?

Also, the sculptures have be a specific size and scale in order for them to fit perfectly on the host model, and I need to use drawings for the parts, as they are from real ships. Can I import the pictures/2-D CAD drawings into the program as templates to copy the parts?

Here are a couple of photos to illustrate what I would need to use the program for, and have the parts 3-D printed for the masters.

This is completely new territory for me, so any help is greatly appreciated, I just want to ensure I invest in the right programs,

Thank you,

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MUS-FAPC1114_850.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	620107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Royal George 3.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	620108