ZBrushCentral

Dell Canvas issue - does it exist on Cintiq?

I have an issue with a Dell Canvas that somehow does not happen on my Intuos Pro. I put the pen down, the red circles are still visible so nothing happened yet. Now in order to start sculpting, I need to move the pen a bit first. After a short distance the red circles vanish and sculpting starts. On my Intuos Pro, sculpting starts as soon as the pen touches down. Same with a mouse, as soon as the mouse button is down it starts sculpting.

This is pretty annoying, it feels like a bit of a delay (well, it is) and it kinda messes up the alternative smooth as well since I first have to smooth normally before I can switch (let go of Shift). I never used a Cintiq and was wondering if it happens there too? Any other advice welcome of course.

I just got a Dell Canvas and am dealing with this issue as well. I’ve looked around and Cintiq has, or had, the same issue. Some other forums report a Wacom driver update may have solved it.

The delay issue seems to be related to Windows 10 and it’s Ink & Flicks. There are some options in Windows pen settings and registry to get rid of some of this delay, but not all… I’m down to about 1mm of movement on my screen before ZBrush picks it up…

Photoshop had the same problem, with all tablets and tablet screens, but there is a workaround in creating a custom PSUserConfig.txt file. Google it and you’ll find the steps. Basically it forces PS to use the old WinTab service or something.

A different Canvas question for you, have you noticed any visible refresh type scrolling in your monitor? If I have a medium grey/brown background colour and default monitor brightness(75%) I can see horizontal lines constantly scrolling down the screen… Boosting the brightness to 100% gets rid of it.

I am contacting Dell regarding the pen delay, maybe they will have an idea.

Have played around some with the PSUserConfig thing as I already had that in place to fix the Intuos Pro. Essentially it disables Windows Ink and forces Wintab instead. Didn’t seem to do anything for the Canvas, maybe because it based on Windows Ink to begin with.

What registry settings are those? That sounds interesting.

I’ve never seen horizontal lines while scrolling. I have mine connected via HDMI at the moment and Display Port worked too. Have no USB-C connector, are you using that? I read that it can be problematic.

The horizontal scrolling artifact appears in the monitor regardless of what I may be doing, even just sitting there with no programs open. I have both DP and the USB connected, from the USB-C on the monitor to a USB-3 on my computer. Is this USB connector not necessary? I’ll try it tonight.

There is a registry entry for flicks, I’ll have to get my bookmark from home for the full path. I spent a handful of time online searching this delay issue, and there are lots of forums with various suggestions. I’ll reply with a link or two later on.

No you do need USB, I just meant the new USB-C on new video cards. With that you should be able to run just that one cable instead of two. Sounds strange the issue you’re having. Bad cable or bad display? Or maybe the video card somehow can’t handle it, doubt that though.

All cables are from Dell, tried different 2 different video cards, 750ti and Quadro K4000. Even hooked it up to a fairly decent laptop, same issue. I am thinking defect in the panel, we’ll see what Dell says.

Hmm you know what, I see it too. On a medium gray background, extremely faint though?

Yeah, it’s worse at around 30% gray for me. Well great, thanks for giving me another issue :wink:

Sorry…

Dell sent me a replacement Canvas, and the visible refresh is next to nothing now. I have to really focus and look for it, so it may be liveable now…? Was bad before, especially with the default ZBrush background.

I have a skype session scheduled with Dell this afternoon regarding the pen lag. I will update here with any findings.

So no resolution yet. I am going to send Dell some links to other postings re: this issue, that is not only affecting the Canvas, but some Cintiq and Surface Pro.

Make sure Windows is fully up to date, as some features have changed re: touch/pen/ink…

As for what I have tried that seems to have lessened the lag:

Windows Pen and Touch settings: disable press and hold
Pen and Windows Ink: turn off visual effects, turn on use pen as a mouse in some apps, turn on ignore touch when using pen, Press and hold = Nothing

Diable Window Ink:

Some registry hacks on this thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/pen-lagdeadzone-on-surface-pro-2017-in-zbrush/6126727d-67ff-4614-a4e1-4c17dbdb5db1?page=2

My lag is down to maybe 1mm or 2mm once I make contact. Still not perfect, but getting there…

Hope this helps you.

and this, adjusting windows drag distance.

Any registry adjustments require Windows to be restarted before taking effect.

Hi, thanks so much for the update. I have returned my Canvas, mostly because of an issue I hadn’t mentioned here. Soft strokes would sometimes not register at all. After lots of testing and swearing I thought I had found the issue. It would work again for a while when I hammered in the pen nib a bit, so it was probably down to the nib becoming unseated or something. But this happened a lot and I just had enough, on top of the other issues. It also was just a bit big, I had some ergonomic challenges with my desk and 3 monitor setup. I had it on another desk to the side and it wasn’t ideal. No way to look at reference for example. Having to move over etc.

I have just installed a Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 and will keep you updated on similiar issues. I can already say that soft strokes are no problem and the minimum distance problem also does not exist! So I think the latter is really a driver thing. So if you need the size, you might wanna check out the Cintiq Pro 24 and just be done with it. I find the 16 is pretty decent, better than expected size-wise actually. I can have it in front of my main 27" 1440p monitor, sort of like an Intuos, and because this has such insane 4k resolution I can easily run it at 1440p and have it clone my main display which is just kinda practical. I can draw on it like on an Intuos or look down on it while drawing, or angle it up with the stand that I bought it with (all used from a guy in some local auction). Downside then I can’t easily access the keyboard which is behind it. But with the Canvas there’s wasn’t even really space for a keyboard at all so. I’ll see how it goes. Stand kinda sucks because it needs too much force to change the angle but whatever.

I have a kind of scanline problem with this too. Funnily it only happens on gray backgrounds but only around wherever the pen is. The display has some reaction with the pen. With higher pressure I can also see the display discoloring a bit, similar to what you see when you push down on a normal display. This has been reported by many but isn’t bothering me much.