ZBrushCentral

Billy- Portrait of a Young Woman Part II

I realize today that it’s been 5 years since I posted anything new here. Seeing all those beautiful artwork is really intimidating.
So I spend a month to work on a successor of my “Alex- Portrait of a Young Woman” from 2013.

My goal again is not to achieve the most realistic portrait but more study the aesthetic of the female face.
The final artwork will be printed on 8K again for future art exhibitions.

Everything was sculpted in Zbrush the face was subdiv 7 x and total of 44 million polygon. I didn’t go to HD. Since there was enough detail already. Texturing was handpainted and no photo was used.

I didn’t bother to convert everything to displacement maps since the final version will be a still only.
Rendered in Maya using Arnold 5 latest Standard Surface Shader.

More WIP on this link:

https://www.instagram.com/khitandigital/

I hope you like it.

Cheers,

Mao

Attachments

1 Like

That’s nice work. Did you use Fibermesh for the eye/Iris details?

Thanks ! Actually first version I did use fibremesh. But later convert into guides for XGEN.

Fantastic work. I love the detailed work on the hair and eyelashes.

Thanks …that was all done in Maya using XGEN.

Beautiful work

This is incredible. How on earth did you sculpt those details without photos? I still can’t quite figure out how pores change around the face.

@womball : I think the key is to analyze the skin and break it down to more manageable layers. So, for example, I have the following layers:

I usually paint them in this particuar order that a person would age:

01:Base_Pink : Base skin color without any variations or detail just flat color
02: Red : Just red colorization
03: Red Details: Red vascular details and imperfection
04:Fat: That baby fat usually yellowish/greenish color
05:Suntan: Colorization by the sun
06: Aging_spots: Aging spot but should be minimal and maybe 10% opacity
Pimples: Pimples

All this is combined and export as one single merge map.
The art is to balance all these layers. Except for the base most of these layers are only use 3-10 %. So if you want to paint Pink use fully saturated red.

This way you can always go more saturated and desaturated the layer by changing the opacity.

The layers in the viewport doesn’t look good to be honest that’s why I start rendering and preview my textures in earlier stages.
I hope this helps a bit.

Mao

Great work:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:. Tnx for Tuts

So Real! Bravo :+1: Thanks for sharing it.

Wow!!! Beautiful Study!!!:+1:

THIS IS JUST AMAZING!. were the textures painted in Zbrush?