ZBrushCentral

Bio Walker Mech, Booleens and 3D printing

Hey all,

This is my first post here, I wanted to share my latest work, its a model of a mech walker that I designed and then 3D printed. I relied heavily on the Live Booleen features of zbrush to model the hard surface detail and I found the IMM Booleen brush essential in adding nice little greeble details

My biggest influence in designing this robot is from the work of Yoji Shinkawa on Metal Gear Solid 4. I liked the idea of blending organic legs/limbs with a mechanical body, and this is my take on the concept. You can see below I like to sketch out my ideas before starting a sculpt, this gives me something to work towards and ultimately improve as the zbrush sculpt progresses.

I do a lot of 3D printing as a hobby, so I wanted to see what level of detail I could achieve with my Ultimaker 2 by printing this model out. While I’m pleased with the results right now, I can see myself printing this model again in future, hopefully on something like a Form2 to get maximum detail.

Hope you all enjoyed seeing this work, I’m at my image limit for the first part of the post, I have more images if anyone wants to see more.
-Andrew

Attachments

Hey Andrew,
very cool model!! Thanks for the breakdown.
Cheers,

Ben | 3D Gladiator

Thank you Ben! I appreciate the kind words.
Andrew

:+1:it looks great.

Thanks Kiarash! much appreciated!

I thought I would share the rest of the photos of the 3D print and some more renders, just in case anyone was interested. Hope you all like them!

This is all the parts that were printed to be assembled into the model. I used Live Booleens and the decimation master to cut up and optimize each part for printing
YN9c9Ej.jpg
views of the finished model. I still have not cleaned up seamlines etc, it was more of an exercise to see how clean I could get a concept model off the printer without spending weeks of cleanup on it.
Cutting into multiple parts gave me cleaner print quality, but the trade off was the large seamlines between the parts. This is the downside to FDM printing!
yfscKYP.jpg
R10RFiJ.jpg
GEkZRkE.jpg
OWl45Oa.jpg
LLYkflt.jpg
lckOfGg.jpg

to finish up here are some more renders showing other parts of the model.
ZTR4xhq.jpg
kP2Uezo.jpg
0pGwZA3.jpg
DNlDUIm.jpg
CngbCuD.jpgdlGWdHG.jpg

Attachments

CngbCuD.jpg

0pGwZA3.jpg

dlGWdHG.jpg

DNlDUIm.jpg

GEkZRkE.jpg

kP2Uezo.jpg

lckOfGg.jpg

LLYkflt.jpg

OWl45Oa.jpg

R10RFiJ.jpg

yfscKYP.jpg

YN9c9Ej.jpg

ZTR4xhq.jpg

Amazing! Detail is very goooood.

Thanks 3dcube!

And thank you Zbrush Central for featuring my work on the Top Row, I am truly humbled and honored!

This is a well deserved top row!

Amazing work .congratulation for top row

Very cool man

Impressive work, thanks for sharing the details and process!
I always love seeing how these kind of things make the transition from digital to physical.

The Form2 does give great results, and this detailed mesh would certainly take advantage of that - if you hadn’t heard of the AnyCubic Photon, take a look - very nearly the same print quality as the Form2, but 20% of the price… I haven’t used one myself but the reviews are very convincing.

…robot! :slight_smile: