ZBrushCentral

Zbrush to Max [Video demonstration]

Hi,
Here is a little demonstration to work between Zbrush and 3dsMax.

I hope it will be usefull.

Zb2Max (6.9Mb)

Rendu_Zb.jpg

Nice to see a new tut else I don’t use it !
But always a pleasure to show it;)
Pilou

tnx…
whats that thing that u pressed in max, lissle something…
how do u write it in english?

:wink: Pilou.

Yaron, “Lissage” I think.

Lissage = smooth (the modifier is mesh smooth) and after the vray displacement modifier.

ok , tnx…

Thank you Fouad B, this is a fantastic video tutorial, i am trying to follow it as its exactly the type of tutorial that i need…to be able to see how its done from zbrush to 3d max.
Is there also a step by step written tutorial for everything that is shown in the video? i really want to be able to do this :+1:
thank you so much

Cool just what I wanted but I cant download the file… is it down or just me thanks guys!

The link work for me.
here is another link : Video 2

Thanks for the great video, but I believe you used VRay. Isn’t it possible to use zbrush’s displacement map with Max’s basic render?

Also, why put the tiling value at -1 for the U axis?

Thanks if you can clear that out for me. Great tutorial, even if it goes really fast. :lol:

indeed, the speed of the demonstration is fast, especially at the time of the modelisation, bus in fact, I concentrate the demonstration on the Zbrsush passage with 3DSmax, which more is, you can slow down or put in pause the reading with the majority of the video player of the market.
You must at the time of the passage of an object of Zbrush has 3Dsmax to change the values of co-ordinates of your texture to carry out a rotation on 180 degree, and a decallage of - 1 (see working procedure of Zbrush).
You are not obliged to use Vray to work displacement the mapping, Max6 allows this function, or you can use the Mental ray engine, but calculation takes infinitely a long time to return.

I hope the translatiion is clear…

Friendly…

No problem at all about the speed of the tutorial, it was just surprising, but it’s effective, so it really achieves what it’s meant for.

As for carrying out the translation on 180 degrees, I see that it’s the same for all 3d softs. I saw that in Maya you have to flip the texture upside down so it can work as it should, and this is probably the same thing.

Good to see that I don’t have to use VRay, though. I don’t have it installed on my computer and I wanted to make tests on max with the basic renderer. Of course when it comes to definitive rendering, I’ll think about getting it installed.

It’s all ok for the translation… I just saw that you were in Paris, does that mean you’re French? Cause I am! :lol:

Hi Fouad,
first: thank you.
Second: this is my result however I pretty followed your video instructions.
Why?
I don’t understand! :eek:

Please solve my problem! :cry:

errore.jpg

Yes, I am from Paris…Cornelius :smiley:

Ok firstly, can I see the original model of Zbrush as well as the meshs of the low model polygon. Two advices:

first: when you note defects on your model, you possibly owe verify your mapping (test the various methods suggested by Zbrush, namely, UVtile, Guvtiles, Auvtiles…

Second: control if your model does not have a Triangle, it cause defects of seams.

I believe to see on your image of one of the defects because you have some triangles and bad values of levels, tests to increase or decrease these values, while leaving to the negative value half less than the positive value.

Ok, so I have a problem…

First, I need to say that I don’t have the objtomax / maxtoobj plugin (couldn’t find the plugin version for max6, does anyone have a link?). So when I wanted to export my model from max, I first exported it as a 3ds file, then used Deep Exploration to convert it to an obj file, so I could import it in zBrush.

Everything works fine in zBrush in the beginnings. I import my obj file in the tools panel, then I drag it in the zBrush viewport, and click on Edit. Everything looks fine, my model looks exactly just as in 3dsmax. But then I want to subdivide the mesh (so I press CTRL+D) and then the subdivision is applied to the mesh… creating some holes in it, in a random way! When I press D to delete my subdivisions, the holes remain. Has anyone encountered that problem? Could it be that the mesh hasn’t really supported the conversion from max to 3ds to obj?

If anyone could tell me where to find a version of the maxtoobj plugin that works correctly on max6, I could find out if it does the same thing or not.

Obj Imp/exp for Max 6

about your problem, see if all your vectrex are connected correctly.
or try to export your model from max in dxf format…

Thank you Fouad,
the problem is that my model is full of triangles (see the figure #1) however in the export options in zbrush I clicled on Quads…

The original model in ZBrush is this (see the figure #2).

The question is: how can I solve the triangulation problem? :cry:

Thank you again :frowning:

1.JPG

Attachments

Graecian_man.jpg

Hi,
I don’t have an magic answer but if you want, post here you low poly model and your Displacement map picture and I will try to see…

i think u do the same thing that i do and the final result is wrong…when u go to the lower resolution on subdivision level make sure that some deep changes on the surface fit on your mesh (not always is good use the level 1 cause u do a lot of new extrusions) try to check the lower resolution that looks similar to your high resolution model…it could fix your problem.

p.d: i’m a begginer but i’m always looking for tutorials …

zbrush to max is not a piece of cake i think…but deserve to spend some time on that!

Thanks Fouad! Nice tut.

Do you know whether Vray or Mental Ray Displacement is more effective than (for example, on a 6 sdiv level ztool) - using a separate Displace modifier (cage on, level 4 sdiv) and highest level Sdiv 6 Bump map, then using the Displace modifier and bump without the third party renderer displacement?

I don’t know, which is why I ask :smiley: